Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder head temperature sensor

I was checking my 04 XB12R over to see what modifications had been made to it since I bough it used from a dealer that had no idea. I noticed while the airbox cover was off, that there is a wire that goes to the top of the rear cylinder on the right side, down into a hole in the top of the cylinder head. It is a rather thin wire, and I noticed that it was frayed where it was contacting the head, and the wire is exposed on part of it. In looking at a service manual, I am wondering if it is a cylinder head temp sensor? I see the wire through the space between the frame and the airbox base with the seat removed. If it is the temp sensor, what should I be expecting for a bill from the dealer to get it fixed with parts and labor?? Also, is this a common thing to happen? My bike just turned 17000 miles. Thanks guys!!!

it could be the wire leading to your Oxygen sensor which is mounted on the rear header pipe next to the head

I see a wire going behind the head, this one goes straight down into the top on the right side. I'll attach a picture if that may help.[img]null[/img]

Does this picture help? Let me know if I can provide any better description, or better photos. Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate it a lot!!

According to my service manual for 07 Firebolts remove the intake assy meaning the airbox cover filter and base once that is off remove right upper tie bar fastener rotate bar to access sensor unplug connector slide boot up sensor wire remove sensor using snap on socket #M3503B so you may have to special order a socket hehe if it still works just tape it up

due to the vibrations the buell has, some wires not placed 100% correct can be the victim of this.

just inspect every now & then and insulate them yourself. ;)

I was getting a engine light so I checked the code, it said cooling fan. I took it to a buddy of mine that used to work on Harley's. The fan worked when I shut the bike off but not while riding in traffic. He said it had to be the temperature sensor. I bought the $85 sensor but haven't bought the 20-43 dollar socket. I'm gonna attempt to cut a half inch socket since I'm sure it will only be used once. Hopefully that will get done this weekend.

I just replaced mine and I slotted a deep socket with a hand held angle grinder from Harber freight for $20.

(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91223)

Good luck...

Well, the sensor came from American Sport Bikes and I tackled the project today in about an hour. I made the special socket from one I already had. It went pretty well, getting it started in was kind of hard, but not too bad. Glad I didn't pay the dealer $75- $100 to do it!! Thanks for your advice fellas!

I just replaced the sensor on my bike, the sensor install went fine. I now need to attach the Delphi connection to the bike end, anyone know how these go together? What crimper do I need?

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast