Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: XB12 SS Lightning both lights on - HID redux

Quote Originally Posted by gseale View Post
    This is the part you are looking for. I have not purchased or tried this yet, but use the diagram from the first page of this thread.

http://www.radioshack.com/12v-dc-10a...y/2750043.html
    I just completed this mod. Purchased the relay from Radio Shack (yes they still exist) and wired it according to the diagrams on the first page. Here are some tips that I have from doing the project that I think is handy info:

Solder extra lengths of wire when working on the project to allow room for you to move and tuck the relay into the front module area behind the windshield.

Purchase the relay socket from Radio Shack as well. All the wiring is soldered to the socket and the relay plugs into the socket, allowing for replacement of the relay in the future without having re-solder the wires.

Purchase a grab bag of heat shrink tubing to seal up the exposed solder/wires.

This mod is done with the wiring harness in stock configuration. This means that if you did the orange/yellow wire swap that gives you both lights on when lights turned to "hi", you will need to swap the wires back to stock configuration for this mod to work. I learned this the hard way since I had done the wire swap mod before doing this mod.

Location where you cut/solder:

The re-wiring of the flasher was done at the controls on the handlebar. I just took the control off and snipped the orange wire at the solder point on the hi/low switch and soldered it to the white/red wire from the flasher after snipping it a few inches from the switch.

The relay/relay socket is installed near the headlight factory plug (the one with black, orange, yellow, white wires) just before it plugs into your HID harness.
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 09-22-2015 at 05:15 AM.

Something important I noticed... If your accessory fuse goes out (blinkers, parking light, etc), your headlight will not remain on when you hit the flasher button. Your high beams will still work as normal, but without the parking light circuit working, the relay won't hold open the switch when you hit your flasher button.
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 10-06-2015 at 01:17 PM.

I combined a few ideas for this mod. I ran 12 gauge cable for positive and negative from my battery. The positive has a 30 amp fuse in line. My problem is that once the HID light is on it will not shut off even after the key it's turned off and removed because the whole thing is drawing power from my battery directly. Any tips on how to solve the problem. I was thinking of putting a switch in line with the power and tucking it under my seat but that then makes all my other work useless.

I can't get photos into my reply but I did upload them. The yellow wires with green shrink wrap are from the battery.
    Last edited by thunderstormgrowl; 02-24-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Why did you run the line directly from the battery instead of just following the mod? The easiest solution would be to wire it up the way it is detailed in this thread IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstormgrowl View Post
    I combined a few ideas for this mod. I ran 12 gauge cable for positive and negative from my battery. The positive has a 30 amp fuse in line. My problem is that once the HID light is on it will not shut off even after the key it's turned off and removed because the whole thing is drawing power from my battery directly. Any tips on how to solve the problem. I was thinking of putting a switch in line with the power and tucking it under my seat but that then makes all my other work useless.

I can't get photos into my reply but I did upload them. The yellow wires with green shrink wrap are from the battery.

Here is a video tutorial of this writeup that I made:

https://youtu.be/mg43piA5jrs

Though this is a really good mod, on my 08 ully, they both stay on if I put the high low switch in the middle. If it didn't, I would do this mod also.

So thanks.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Though this is a really good mod, on my 08 ully, they both stay on if I put the high low switch in the middle. If it didn't, I would do this mod also.

So thanks.
    you want to immediately stop doing that kenny. it's hell on the switch. follow jesse's posted vid or do the simple jumper wire trick that i always use.....light side of harness.....orange to yellow

My setup is a little different, some time back I purchased a low beam housing (just to have the inner steel partition) Both my headlights are low beam now and I run with the high beam switched on. I'm plenty visible in the day and very comfortable with night riding but I live in the city where open country roads are not. The reason I did it this way was so not to mess with any wiring or fuses. I could switch back easily when I sell it and MOSTLY that people STOP telling me I had a headlight out.

Again for those I lost... two low beam headlamps, turn on one or both at the switch. No modification to any wiring.
    Last edited by midway; 03-10-2017 at 09:47 PM.

O.k. John, I didn't know that.

Thanks !

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast