Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bueller, first bike, first bike build thread

After 5 years of wanting and craving, I finally bought a bike a couple weeks ago. Local HD dealer had a '07 XB12Scg as their weekly special - $4k. 5600 miles, Valenica Orange/Amber. They had it listed as $5k off. They have a blue/amber '07 with 2700 miles at $9500, so $5k off sounds about right. Had a new tire with 0 miles, and they installed a new battery and wired it for a battery tender for me.

Stock pic, only have a crappy cell pic of it as it was...

Anyway, PO had:
    - installed cheapo carbon-look turn signals front and rear
    - carbon-look bar-end mirrors
    - black levers
    - painted the frame and rear rails satin black
    - wrapped the header
    - did the cheese grater mod
    - and (unfortunately) removed the passenger pegs/brackets
    - did a bar swap, but no sure what brand/type, they're lower than stock though - the Renthals?
    - removed belt guards

So far, I've:
    - removed the factory decals, screwing up the air box with adhesive remover in the process... (see below :)
    - removed fork reflectors
    - ebayed passenger peg brackets (searching for a deal on pegs)
    - just ordered uly comfort kit right side scoop
    - stripped it down this morning - air box, fly screen, fender, lower fairing
    - started the process of spraying satin black on plastics
    - breather mod coming tonight

I own/operate/one-man-show RenoStickerShop.com, so it's getting a one-off vinyl graphics kit this weekend. For now, paint on the undersides is drying, paint going on the fronts tonight.

Thanks for the forum guys, learning way too much way too quickly :)

I've been looking at exhausts and whatnot and at this point will probably wait til winter to do anything else - just ride out the summer. I've put over 300 miles on it in less than two weeks, and only got my m-class license yesterday :)

More to come this weekend or so, with pics!

Congrats on the purchase Rory! Sounds like you're well on your way with DIY's. Can't wait to see pics!

Forgot a couple things... added frame pucks last weekend (before I took the stupid-slow m-class test, just in case), and the PO had blacked out the dash housing.

I need more DIYs! Not at all new to builds, but this one is 40 years newer than what I'm used too, and has half the wheels. I'm an air-cooled VW guy, and this little baby's delaying the start of a body-off Ghia build, so it's gotta be quick n' dirty.

All the crappy carbon-look bits (turns, mirrors) will probably be black after this weekend too...

Congrats on the Bike and welcome to the Buell "family". Looking forward to the pics. :D

Welcome!

One member on here, Matter, cuts custom vinyl decal for us. A lot of us have his Pesasus decals. He's been busy lately, maybe you would be interested in helping him out with his vinyl projects. Of coarse, only if he doesn't mind having someone else relieve his project back ups.

his thread

Welcome to the Buell family.. I've only been a member of the buell for a few months so welcome..

oh please tell me you are not spraying the Valencia orange transparent plastics... I might cry for weeks

I kinda thought the same thing, I have some yellow ones you could spray if you wanna trade.

Already done. insides are already black. But don't fret - several of the screw holes were spidered. And, water spots and what not on inside and outside were not coming off. They weren't perfect condition, or I would have kept them OE and bought replacements to play with. Either way, I'd have to buy replacements if I wanted it in premo condition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast