Thread: Error 36 - fan runs briefly then fuse pops

Error 36 - fan runs briefly then fuse pops

After replacing my voltage regulator and battery, went for a ride. All was well until I got home and shut the bike off. The fan started briefly, then shut off and left me with a CEL. ECM droid tells me a fan short to ground. I replace the blown fuse and get the same result once the fan starts. Any suggestions? Could it be a bad fan? The timing of this is suspect in light of the recent work...

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Inactive
    an intermittent fan with NO fuse problem is a fan searching for a ground.....and the ground problem typically the 2 ground wires from the A harness that ground the ecm are at fault.

a fan that randomly blows the fan fuse is a faulty fan. it's a spal unit. you can replace with custom spal unit that you adapt to existing housing or buy a good used or new unit.

simple fan test is to unplug the unit....rig up temp wire harness with both ground and positive leads.....place a 15 amp fuse inline with the positive lead.....NOT a 10 as per factory fuse box....and test the fan. if it pops this fuse it is junk. you CANNOT split the motor and perform clean-up surgery so don't bother asking

a good clean tested used fan that has NO signs of "oil exposure" is reasonably priced and lasts a long time.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-12-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Lunaticfringe, thanks for the quick response. Exactly what happens, every time, is as soon as the fan clicks on, it runs for a few seconds, then the fuse pops. Even when I do the fan test from ECM droid. Does that signify a bad fan automatically?

Thanks again,

Warner

PS - I do see oil residue in the fan....

How do your rear rocker box gaskets look ?? That is were most the oil comes from,

I just put it all back together and closed the garage door. Disappointed....just did the voltage regulator and battery....

Lunaticfringe, which leads go to the fan? (For your 15 amp test).

Warner

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Webbie View Post
    Lunaticfringe, thanks for the quick response. Exactly what happens, every time, is as soon as the fan clicks on, it runs for a few seconds, then the fuse pops. Even when I do the fan test from ECM droid. Does that signify a bad fan automatically?

Thanks again,

Warner
    yes. fan is shot. replace it.
    fan is powered by a 2-lead harness. yellow wire is positive....black is ground. positive always active....ecm activates the ground on demand which spools up the fan. the plug to the fan is at rear of battery box area. large black rectangular plug. the ONLY plug in the vicinity with a yellow/black wire combo
    factory part # is COOLING FAN Y0050.02A8A

very straight-forward and easy to replace but a bit time consuming....but relatively easy. in essence you lift bike, remove neg. battery cable from battery, remove upper shock mount attachment bolt, lower rear wheel several inches, remove fan attachment screws, unplug fan harness plug, rotate housing and pull rearward. from memory so probably missed a step or 2 but you get the idea. not difficult
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    yes. fan is shot. replace it.
    fan is powered by a 2-lead harness. yellow wire is positive....black is ground. positive always active....ecm activates the ground on demand which spools up the fan. the plug to the fan is at rear of battery box area. large black rectangular plug. the ONLY plug in the vicinity with a yellow/black wire combo
    factory part # is COOLING FAN Y0050.02A8A

very straight-forward and easy to replace but a bit time consuming....but relatively easy. in essence you lift bike, remove neg. battery cable from battery, remove upper shock mount attachment bolt, lower rear wheel several inches, remove fan attachment screws, unplug fan harness plug, rotate housing and pull rearward. from memory so probably missed a step or 2 but you get the idea. not difficult
    Thanks man.....part on order. Found it for $112 plus shipping from New Castle HD. $129 including shipping.

Warner