Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: DDFI-3 tuning with stock o2 sensor

As far as I know the second O2 feature started with BUE1D. I have two ECMs, one BUE1D and BUE2D and both have the feature.

I will try to install my front O2 next month. Got all the parts, just need to stop the bike at the mechanic to have the header taken off of the bike for welding.

Guys today I went for a highway ride and had the chance to run fast for a couple of minutes without being interrupted by traffic. I kept my android phone running ecmdroid in the handlebar mount so I was observing the sensors behaviour while running.
    I realized that while in closed loop the o2 voltage keeps changing from a high value to a low value, all the time. As far as I understand this is OK, it is how it must behave. However, when it entered open loop, I saw voltage was always around 0.75v. I didnt go to WOT anytime, I just kept it running from 4000 to 5500rpm with 100-140 tps load which is definetely open loop, from 140 to 180kmh for 10km so I made lots of observations on the ecmdroid.
    O2 voltage is very stable and always around 0.75v. Maybe lowest reading was 0.71 and maximum 0.77v, but it doesnt "cycle" down and up how it does when in closed loop.
    My question: is this normal behavior? If it is, is 0.75v adequate to the open loop (not wot) region of the map? My open loop map is basically stock, so I'm not really worried.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I'm sure we went over that behavior being how a narrow band O2 works charts and all... Keep in mind The ECM is feeding more fuel for a target AFR richer than 14.7 hence why you need open loop at all. The voltage you see can't be trusted just like we can't use that data for tuning, If I remember the the narrow band O2 value mid-point in ECMSpy is set for a .49 or.51 depending on what map/year you are using. The .71-.75 you see should be in the low 13's AFR's.

Also, in closed loop it will be constantly trying to adjust. Which is why you see the constant change. Then in open loop it is no longer adjusting, and your map in open loop must be rich, and since narrowband can only tell you rich or lean, it just stays constant.

Look what I found mcaff! https://youtu.be/Si4uTol-J-I?t=6m41s

At this point in the video he is coping values from a race map.msq files to stock map.msq files on an 05 using notepad... what's interesting is this block of data is the target AFR value in the EEPROM laid out clear as day! Target WOT values are 13.0-1 also interesting is they wrote data for front and rear cylinder AFR values.

EDIT:

I was thinking what do these values relate to since they cover closed and open loop? I think they are the table values for EGO correction.
    Last edited by lowkey; 05-05-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaff View Post
    As far as I know the second O2 feature started with BUE1D. I have two ECMs, one BUE1D and BUE2D and both have the feature.

I will try to install my front O2 next month. Got all the parts, just need to stop the bike at the mechanic to have the header taken off of the bike for welding.

So, the BUE1D ECM has the capability to use two O2 sensors, but it was not utilized on the bike? I know I have BUE1D, but do not have a front O2 sensor.

That target AFR map is just for reference. The ECM doesn't use the table at all, since it doesn't have any sort of AFR signal anyways. Also the ECM will not burn changes to that map.

Last night I wired up a PLX wideband, and the narrowband simulations seems to be working properly. In case anyone wants to go that route. PLX SM-AFR wideband is relatively cheap and much easier to instal and use than innovate. Tonight I'll wire it up neatly and start logging some runs. Of course ill be using the wideband to tune at first, but then go back to the narrowband ego readings for any driveability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    So, the BUE1D ECM has the capability to use two O2 sensors, but it was not utilized on the bike? I know I have BUE1D, but do not have a front O2 sensor.
    08 was the first year of DDFI3 ECM's for Buell (XB and 1125's), in 08 to the end of the run of 1125's Buell used 2 narrow band O2's. XB's used just the rear O2 in 08 and 09, in 2010 they switched to both a front and rear O2 setup. The ECM on a bike that only had the rear O2 can be made to run a front O2 as well. A couple pages back Cole explains how to do this with TunerPro I think.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    08 was the first year of DDFI3 ECM's for Buell (XB and 1125's), in 08 to the end of the run of 1125's Buell used 2 narrow band O2's. XB's used just the rear O2 in 08 and 09, in 2010 they switched to both a front and rear O2 setup. The ECM on a bike that only had the rear O2 can be made to run a front O2 as well. A couple pages back Cole explains how to do this with TunerPro I think.
    With the exception of the BUEOD ECM, which is a DDFI3 without the option of a front O2 sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    With the exception of the BUEOD ECM, which is a DDFI3 without the option of a front O2 sensor.
    In which case you could have the firmware flashed at the dealership to BUE2D then have the capability right? Cole, I PM'd you a couple questions I need answered so I can send a member a map for his bike. Thanks

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast