PDA

View Full Version : Front Tire Cupping

06xb9r
10-27-2007, 10:36 PM
What causes the front tire to cup as it wears? Mine is wearing like this and was wandering why.

BuellPartsGuy
10-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Some tires are more prone to cupping then others, due to tread design. Make sure you have your suspension set up properly to you. Also make sure you are maintaining a proper psi in your tires.

MPea3
10-28-2007, 01:24 AM
+1 on the psi. My own experience has been that tire pressure being too low is the #1 reason for cupping. I once read that the typical motorcycle tire/wheel will lose 1 psi every month. My own experience has been that much, but only a couple of psi low will make a huge difference in both handling and wear.

One other thing, and I expect to be disagreed with here, but I've read and also feel from experience that you're better off following the tire manufacturer's recommendation on psi than the bike manufacturer. Of course even one psi of pressure difference can make for significant changes in the effective spring and damping rate in the suspension, not to mention how the tire rolls over during cornering. Like with suspension settings, find something that works for you and then keep the pressures consistent over time.

06xb9r
10-28-2007, 02:05 PM
I did set up the suspension according to the owners manual, which made a huge improvement in handling by the way.
I'm still running the factory Dunlop 208's.
I also think they were about 2 psi low for a while.

Thanks for the input...Probably my fault for not keeping the pressure correct, or the 208's...I don't have experience with any other tires but most of you guys say these are crap.