PDA

View Full Version : BUELL LIGHTWEIGHT NANO-TECKĀ© BATTERY

cms1172
03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I am looking for feedback on experiences people have had with this series of new batteries for the 1125. Besides weight savings, what issues or experiences have you had?

09CRRED1
03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
its 390 dollars

drawkward
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Nuff said.

dallasb
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Yea I think it would be much cheaper to just skip a burger every now and then to shave the lbs off

bajabomber87
04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
9 lbs is 9 lbs, not everyone can or will lose 9 lbs. That's huge if you drag, or road race, or just ride canyon's. If you have the money get it, if you don't, make one yourself like I am.

09CRRED1
04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
i talked to my mechanic and he said its about as big as half of a slice of bread and only mabe 1-1/2 inches deep. he said there is no way you could drive it on the streets around town it wouldnt be able to charge it and keep it charged. he also said that he thinks they would only be good for a few races on the track

Ronin1
04-10-2010, 03:02 AM
It sounds like your mechanic is retarded. The battery size has nothing to do with its charge rate. it's not an alkaline battery, it will last as long as any other battery provided its charged and not exposed to excessive heat or vibration.

Jim

09CRRED1
04-10-2010, 05:13 AM
well id trust my mechanic over anybody on this site tellin me other wise but u do the math something that small isnt gona be able to hold a charge stop and go and shut off for very long. its on a race websight for racing it isnt meant for on the streets. and btw my mechanic has already made 3 custom pipes 4 his cr and has worked on everything under the sun w/ a motor since he was 16

Buell_Cru
04-10-2010, 05:34 AM
09, go to bed. Really? Why don't you quit relying on your mechanic and learn this **** yourself. If your mechanic is such a bad ass why isn't he selling his pipes on here or any other site. Did it take all 4 to get where he is. Someone who knows how to do all the calculation would have got it right the first time. These batteries are made for almost every jap bike out there and are perfectly fine for street and track use. CMS1172 was merely asking for feedback on the one they make for the 1125 not advice from your godly mechanic. A local guy from another site CMS and I are on is making these at home and already has 2 out there that are performing extremely well under all conditions.

firebolt020283
04-10-2010, 06:30 AM
I think some one lied to your mechanic. These batterys work just fine for street or track use and will last just as long as a normal battery.

nativeXb12Rbuell
04-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Myself i trust my real knowledge and my training & education and my experience and Erik Buell ,
not your so called mechanic.

here read about the battery itself from EBR http://www.ebracing.com/shop/product65.html

some people dont have all the facts like your mechanic.and i think you and your mechanic need to learn how a battery and the charging system(alternator) and the ignition system works.

RT Performance
04-10-2010, 08:05 AM
cool quote
300 amp peak draw Nano-teckĀ© incorporates a proprietary cell-to-cell balancing circuit board essential to long lithium-ion battery life and performance, and the silicon damped cells incorporate technically advanced nanophosphate chemistry, not vulnerable to self-ignition.

Though more than adequate for the street, we suggest this battery be used as a racing component.

that is 100 cca over the stock battery
when mine is out of warranty i think i will upgrade.
Lithium ion. works great in my cordless tools
Dam cool idea wish i would have thought of it WTG ERIK always cutting edge stuff

bajabomber87
04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Pretty sure EBR stated it would work fine for the street but recommended for race use only. But battery size has nothing to do with the battery's life span.

There's a guy on buelltin forum who made the same sized battery and its worked fine for months. I'm copying his design and adding some more amps to it without a worry to its ability to start the bike.

xtremelow
04-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I am going to upgrade this summer but till then I got nothing on the topic, but as RT and others mentioned, it would be perfectly fine on the road. Most other bikes have these type of batteries.

Erik nows his **** thus the reason we all ride his bikes so I feel it safe to put my money on him[smirk]

08xb12r
04-10-2010, 11:53 AM
This might be a dumb question, but I wonder if the battery tender can be used? I would think it could not be used seeing as it is a totaly different battery.

jmcrutch
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Buell_Cru, you are making a home-made battery? That sounds badass. Can you elaborate? Pics maybe?

Buell_Cru
04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Buell_Cru, you are making a home-made battery? That sounds badass. Can you elaborate? Pics maybe?

I'm not making them, a guy on our local forum is making them. He's researched it quite a bit and has 2 out there already. I think he's sticking to making them for the local guys though.

cms1172
04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
I installed one of the batteries that Buell_Cru is talking about. Granted it was before getting the stator upgrade. I found that the voltage dropped to the point that the ECU would reset when starting, but ran just fine otherwise.

I do not know if it had anything to do with the charging system update.

Which is why I was looking for some input from other riders.

GregoXB
12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
What do you guys think of this battery?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/70/943/40097/ITEM/Ballistic-EVO2-Battery.aspx

Its priced at $189 for a 12 cell and it looks identical to the EBR one.

GregoXB
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
There are actually 2 reviews from Buell riders on that product on the website who say that it works great. At $189 that is literally half the price of the $390 EBR Nanotek.

1badtitan90
12-27-2012, 03:20 PM
cms.. before you get this battery look into a moty designs battery.. this guy makes these for all kinds of bikes.. he has 4, 6,8,and 12 cell batterys.. i already have asked about what we need for the 1125 models and he said the 12 cell is what we need.. these can use the regular top mount connections or they have a quick disconnect model that is awesome.. that is what i will order before thw season starts back up.. price is 189 i believe.. modydesigns.com i think. just google it.. they are half the size and a 1/4 of the weight.. 2 lbs i think

GregoXB
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Badtitan.... His post was from 2 years ago, I think he has a battery by now lol. I just revived the post because I found that 12 cell on motorcyclesuperstore website and was wondering how it stacks up against the EBR Nanotek.

That and I don't know how to start a new thread.

texasroadranger
01-13-2013, 06:07 AM
I have had the EBR battery in my 08 since it first came out and works GREAT. I keep a lithium battery specific battery tender on it during down-time (winter, when Im riding my CR, etc) and I LOVE IT!! No problems other than sometimes a 'slow start' on occasion but when it cranks, Im good..

texasroadranger
01-13-2013, 06:08 AM
I have had the EBR battery in my 08 since it first came out and works GREAT. I keep a lithium battery specific battery tender on it during down-time (winter, when Im riding my CR, etc) and I LOVE IT!! No problems other than sometimes a 'slow start' on occasion but when it cranks, Im good..

GregoXB
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
So I got an email today from EBR. Basically it said that the 8 cell nanoteck from EBR is NOT recommended for use on an XB that is street driven. They recommend starting the bike with another power source, and then using the nanoteck battery to run the electronics while the bike is running. Essentially making it a race use only part.

texasroadranger
02-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Im probably gonna have my buell lithium battery up for grabs if anyone looking to get one. Its a couple years old if you want to make a reasonable offer. I know some lithiums are going for around $200 new and this one was $390. Let me know by PM, thanks. ML

texasroadranger
02-24-2013, 05:03 AM
I have Buell Lithium battery up for grabs for a reasonable price. Let me know,thx. ML

texasroadranger
04-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Battery still up for grabs. It was purchased in 2010 and still maintains great charge. I wrecked my 1125R so no longer need it. Make offer.