PDA

View Full Version : This bike keeps me busy!!

AdventureUly
04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
It seems to me that every time I fix one problem another one turns up.

It has kept me on my toes thats for sure and I am getting more confident at fixing stuff my self.

After sorting a noise from my muffler where the bracket was missing I did the Captin Ron mod on it and have been enjoying the deep, not too loud, throaty sound that my bike now produces.

Until this morning that is: I can now hear a loud squeeking noise comming from the rear of the bike, it is more noticable at very slow speeds.

I have the feeling that it could be the rear wheel bearings, as this is a comon fault. (so I have read)

Any one know how I can tell? What happend to you when your rear bearings went?

Any advice would be sound. [confused]

Dutchbuell
04-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Rear wheel bearings are a problem. On my past Ulysses i had to replace them about every 10000 miles. I always carry a spare one with me. Other than that I have had no major problems within 60k.

One other bearing problem was that from the idle pulley.

It is a great bike!

07Bolt
04-11-2010, 07:48 AM
keep an eye out for wobbles/shakes/intermittent vibrations; the bearings have the ability to warp the axle as well.

onelogue
04-11-2010, 08:48 AM
it could be your rear rotor too... ?

MAGIC
04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I had squeeking noise from the belt tensioner. Greesed it up and now it works fine.

Jabaniz
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
i drive alot of gravel and dust gets on my belt and rotor and cause low speed squeaks until i wash it

Dutchbuell
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
i had to replace my rear tyre today. My bearings were bad and I have them replaced. The bearings of the idle wheel are bad too. Those I will replace tomorrow. I now have 13d miles on the odo.

GatorBuell
04-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Wasn't there a recall on the rear barrings for the Uly, I thought they replace the barrings with bigger ones on each side due to the extra weight carried on the rear. I remember because I was thinking of putting them on my 12Ss for some touring duty.

AdventureUly
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all that.

I have taken the bike in for a check up and she has come back to me with new up rated bearings. When the engineer phoned HD they said i was lucky to get 5000k out of the first set.

I now have no wobble or sqeek. (i did clean the belt as well as there was quite a bit of crap on it)

The engineer said my belt was a bit tight as well and that would not have helped the bearings. So watch out for over tight belts chaps!;)