PDA

View Full Version : Fan cooling logic?

Buzz
01-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Just brought home a new to me (2100mi used) Ulysses.

50 degree day 35 miles on the highway to get home and I was surprised the fan was on when I pulled off the highway ramp.

What should I expect as normal for the fan on/off? I know it's supposed to be triggered off the rear cylinder temp but I'd have thought riding at speed with engine turning between 3500-4500 rpm wouldn't require the fan.

The dealer I bought the bike from doesn't know much about the product. I guess I can check the guys in the shop but I thought I'd check owners' experience first.

BuellPartsGuy
01-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Doesnt sound like anything out of the ordinary. The only things you can do to help remedy that more is run synthetic oil, get a right hand side air scoop, or cut vents into your undertail panel.

2Evil4U
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Sounds normal.

About the only time mine won't come on after a half hour of riding is if it's <35 degrees.

buellboy03
01-29-2007, 02:59 AM
I have a RH scoop on my baby that pushes air to the rear cylinder and it only runs when I turn the Key off now [up]

BuellPartsGuy
01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Not to mention it looks a little better because now it is symmetrical.

PlayWithGravity
02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
BuellBoy, can you let me know where you got your right side scoop? I'd like to get one for my Firebolt.

BuellPartsGuy
02-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Click the Parts Shop link at the top. I know they have them... ;)

useless
02-08-2007, 03:43 AM
hi there
"cut vents into your undertail panel"

presume this is the plastic inner guard?
Has anyone done this? any advice appreciated
cheers

bahamasair
02-09-2007, 02:20 AM
I looked in the parts store but cant find the right side scoop. Anyone got a link to it?

buellboy03
02-27-2007, 03:52 AM
I paid $300au delivered for my scoop from another Buell Forum [cool]

Old School One
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Good Day from the Thousand Islands area Upstate,NY Riding my 07' since APR of this year, Just shy of 8,000 mls as of today. Just love it..
Has anyone considered placing a larger oil cooler up under the seat/tail assm. between the side case mounting rails? I made some mesurements and find a much larger cooler/fan assm. would fit...
Not much to look at though...
Any other Ideas...[up][down]null

FIDOSOL
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Larger Air Cooler probably wouldn't make a noticable sensor as the fan is run off the rear cylinder temp. All the fan does is suck the hot air out as fast as it can. Best bet would be to force cold air through one or both of the air scoops. Now if you wanted to get really crazy, rig up a water cooling system that goes around the block, have heard of it on some crazy custom bikes, but never actually seen it, I can tell you that it works quite well on Gaming and Super computers. So I'm sure it's feasible...

eric
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Its been a while since I have been on this site. The fan issue has been something I have been working on for all of this time and I think I have finally sorted it. I can definately confirm that a right sided air scoop makes a huge difference to the length of time it takes for the motor to heat up to the point where the fan kicks in. In our New Zealand climate it means pretty well no fan comes on in the winter spring autumn months However 2 up it obviously still is an issue as more is being asked of the motor. In Summer there still is an issue so the thing that finally has fixed the issue is that I got the mechanics at the dealership to wire in a variable resistor with a dial on the handlebar. This varies the current to the fan. It means I can have the fan going full bore when I am going at speeds where I cant hear the fan ie over 65 km/hr = 35 - 40mph When I want to stop and avoid the fan noise eg at the Gas station filling up, I can reduce it to virtually nil. Less current to the fan = slower fan speed = a noise level I can control -all with a twist of the dial... Finally.

dave_xb12r
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
That sounds like a cool mod, but as I understand it, the fan's main purpose is to make sure the rear cylinder temp matches the front temp. They both need to cool down at the same rate. I would leave it up to the computer.... but then again, I could be wrong

eric
09-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Interesting point but the Guys at the Buell dealership never mentioned that issue. They were mainly concerned about matching the resistor correctly for the situation.

zmc
01-10-2009, 02:14 AM
eric, I recently got an 06 XB12X and think its great. I've tried to track a right side scoop through the Wellington Dealer but no luck. Where did you get yours from?

FIDOSOL
01-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Right Side Scoop Thread (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Buell-aftermarket-parts/right-side-air-scoop-for-Buell) That is a thread where you can arrange to get one from. LeFox can hook you up. Hope that helps.

frogmorton
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey ZMC-I am after a scoop too. LeFox has emailed and said its cheaper to get two so if you are still keen let me know and maybe we could ordered the two.

(M.Houston@massey.ac.nz)
Michelle

ches
05-13-2010, 12:41 AM
sounds like a buell they are not open engines like a harley

cb21983
06-24-2010, 09:19 AM
So interesting factoid. If you get the EBR Race ECM it uses the 2010 and later fan logic. As far as I was told from EBR it will not run at shutoff anymore or at low speed as often (I think they raised the temp it kicks on at) but it runs more when you are on the road over 45MPH. This is all what I gathered from a phone conversation with them so I don't have any exacts.

BRatigan
06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
I just did temperature testing on my 08 Uly and found that the temp was 25 degrees F hotter on the rear cylinder than the front at shutdown About 289 F for the rear. By the time the fan shut down (about 4-5 minutes) the temps had evened out at around 200 plus or minus. The fan should come on when engine temps are at 320 degrees F. This is with the 08 fan logic not the upgraded logic. I also run the comfort kit right side scoop, Special OPS fabric barriers and my own underseat and right custom heat shield mod. Heat is not an issue anymore.

BR

brightbuell
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Get the right side scoop it works great. They all work the same if they are the same size but some look like **** others look great, the prices fit the looks. Some are cheap some cost $270 shipped. Mine was $270 but it looks great.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5051_20100109190451_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5051_20100109190423_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5051_20100109190433_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5051_20100202134150_L.jpg

hjohnsonjr
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
A lot is being said about the fan. I have the latest software in my 2006. It is close to a hundred F here in Oregon today and the fan is not running. I pulled the seat and put a surface type thermometer on the top of the head and got 250. Troubleshooting does not look easy in the book. Can I use a VOM instead of a "breakout box" to troubleshoot?

stevengeorgia
02-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Doesn't the "comfort kit" come with a right-side larger air scoop? And does it include the exhaust shield as shown in the pic?
;)

user_deleted
02-26-2014, 01:45 AM
I have a RH scoop on my baby that pushes air to the rear cylinder and it only runs when I turn the Key off now

that right there. and synthetic oil. RSS available thru any H-D dealer either online or in person. you will need to purchase the outer scoop, inner scoop and 3 specific-sized torx screws. i've posted the 3 H-D part #'s on here numerous occasions. total about $60 for all 5 items.

GregoXB
02-26-2014, 04:33 AM
So interesting factoid. If you get the EBR Race ECM it uses the 2010 and later fan logic. As far as I was told from EBR it will not run at shutoff anymore or at low speed as often (I think they raised the temp it kicks on at) but it runs more when you are on the road over 45MPH. This is all what I gathered from a phone conversation with them so I don't have any exacts.

I can confirm this. I got an EBR ECM for my '09XB 12Ss before anything else, and it significantly changes the behavior of the fan. The fan turns on while I am on the throttle, cruising, when I can barely hear it. When the bike is at a stop or turned off, the fan is off as well. On the stock ECM, the fan would activate at a stop, while cruising and when the bike was shut off (very annoying).

The modifications that minimized fan operation in order from most important to least important are as follows:

1) EBR ECM
2) Amsoil
3) RSS

I would NOT do any other modifications before you tried those 3 solutions. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the operation of my fan after I did the above steps.

anrkizm95
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM
So interesting factoid. If you get the EBR Race ECM it uses the 2010 and later fan logic. As far as I was told from EBR it will not run at shutoff anymore or at low speed as often (I think they raised the temp it kicks on at) but it runs more when you are on the road over 45MPH. This is all what I gathered from a phone conversation with them so I don't have any exacts. the fan will still run when shut off if its hot enough and comes on at speeds over 15 mph not 45.

GregoXB
02-26-2014, 12:25 PM
^
In my personal experience with the EBR ECM, even riding in 90+ degree weather, when I turn my bike off the fan does not come on.

It WILL come on at speeds +15mph but will shut off when I release the throttle and brake to a stop, like at a stop light.

DualSportDad
02-27-2014, 12:46 AM
In my personal experience with the EBR ECM, even riding in 90+ degree weather, when I turn my bike off the fan does not come on.

It WILL come on at speeds +15mph but will shut off when I release the throttle and brake to a stop, like at a stop light.

You have a RSS, your temps probably aren't high enough for the fan to come on. In 90 deg temps my fan doesn't come on either with a RSS, without it seems to run very often.

GregoXB
02-27-2014, 01:19 AM
You have a RSS, your temps probably aren't high enough for the fan to come on. In 90 deg temps my fan doesn't come on either with a RSS, without it seems to run very often.

Negative. The first modification I did to my '09 XB12Ss was an EBR ECM with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Upon this change, the fan behaved as I described. Adding RSS and Amsoil made the bike FEEL noticeably cooler.

GregoXB
02-27-2014, 04:58 AM
http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/models/xb12/xb12-preprogrammed-ecm.html

***You may notice different cooling fan operation with the EBR ECM for 2008-2010 model year bikes compared to the operation with your stock ECM. This is normal due to the revised cooling fan strategy that is programmed into these ECM's.***

Straight from the horse's mouth.

axegrinder
09-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I have D&D exhaust and Buell racing ECM. Unless it below 50 degrees the fan runs constantly when moving. It will shut off at speeds below 10 MPH. On a very warm day, it might come on for a minute or so when turned off. I figure Eric know what he's doing so I've never questioned when the fan wants to run. Even when it does come on when turned off, it doesn't bother me. You're getting 103 HP from a pushrod V twin so you know it's gonna need cooling. If the bike runs well, just let it go.
Cheers.