PDA

View Full Version : heated grips

Phrogg
11-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Alright, I am riding in 20 to low 30 degree weather and I was wondering if anyone has used heated grips. I have been thinking about buying some, but I would like to put a switch in. That way I can turn them off for the summer. Has anyone tried these out or have any exprience with them.

Thanks

BuellPartsGuy
11-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Buell has them as an accessory now to retro fit to all the bikes. It is a fairly easy install and it does come with a switch to vary the level of heat and to turn it on and off. It will bolt onto your Firebolt with slight modification. The only reason they say they will not fit older bikes is because the 08's come with the accessory plug underneath the seat so they can just plug in. You will just have to tap into a ignition power source instead. The newer models also have a slightly higher output stator set up, but these should not cause a problem if wired in properly.

Here's the link to them.

Buell Heated Grips (http://www.buell.com/en_us/gear/accessories/Product.asp?Menu_ID=2&ProductLineID=4&CategoryID=7&ProductID=4136)

Phrogg
11-09-2007, 12:11 PM
heated grips (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/5669.html)

These are the ones I was looking at. They are considerably cheaper, but are they more overly the same thing?

Thanks for the input by the way.

sam_rush
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't have any experience with the Buell heated grips but I do with the ones Phrogg has listed. I installed a set of them on my GSX-R a few weeks ago. Installation wasn't hard at all, and they work well on cooler days. However, the few days that it has been in the low 30s I couldn't even really tell they were there. Mind that i'm also wearing a thick insulated wind proof gloves. I think that the addition of a set of handguards would help quite a bit, but now sure how good they would look on a sport bike. I'm picking up a XB9 tomorrow and instead of buying grip heaters again, I may just buy some heated gloves instead.

Phrogg
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
You couldn't tell they were there in the low 30s??? I don't know if I should even bother with them then. Since it is going into the 20s here in Iowa within the next few weeks.... Heated gloves might be the way to go I guess.....

sam_rush
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm sure they helped, but they definitely did not keep my hands warm. I have been eyeing these gloves for the past week HERE (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/10327/ITEM/Tour-Master-Synergy-Leather-Gloves.aspx)

I'm gonna have to get something because while the winters here in OK don't get as cold as Iowa. I still ride ~100 miles a day and being cold sucks.

BuellPartsGuy
11-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Heated gloves and vests do seem to work the best. Thats what I used while I lived in Minnesota.

sam_rush
11-09-2007, 08:03 PM
My only question is can the charging system on the XBs handle the load a vest/gloves put on it?

BuellPartsGuy
11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
The charging system perfectly fine with that amount of load. We have had Uly's with sets of KC's lights, GPS, and all sorts of heated gear on them without any problems.