PDA

View Full Version : Front brake question?

sam_rush
11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I picked up my XB9R yesterday afternoon! I have to say that I throughly enjoyed the 140 mile ride home and can't wait to ride to work tomorrow morning. I do have a question regarding the front brakes though. My other bike is a GSX-R so i'm used to riding with a steering damper. I expected the feeling in the bars to be a bit more raw on the Buell, but now i'm noticing that on braking it seems to pulse. Is this normal? I looked at the rotor and it doesn't seem to have any excessive heat marks on it and the pads don't look bad but I haven't pulled them off either. So, anyone have some insight in to this?

BuellPartsGuy
11-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Used or New?

Miles?

little help here.....

sam_rush
11-12-2007, 01:01 AM
It is used with 9400 miles.

BuellPartsGuy
11-12-2007, 04:48 AM
First, check to see what kind of condition your pads are in, make sure they have plenty of friction material and arent impregnated with oil or grease, or they arent glazed over. Next, I would have to check and see what the torque spec and sequence is for the fasteners on the rotor, but check and see if they are tight. If that doesnt fix it, next try measuring the lateral runout of the rotor, if that is in spec, try replacing the springs and spacers behind the rotor in the wheel. Depending on your mechanical knowledge or access to tools, some of this might have to be performed by a local shop.

My '03 XB9R had a slight shake under hard braking, but it wasnt bad enough for me to start tearing it down and checking it out.

ichibird
05-26-2009, 05:29 AM
Had same problem, vibration and shakes under medium to heavy braking. Brought it into shop and needed a new front rotor. Will have it back next week. 08 xb12, 6kmi

morehpforme
05-26-2009, 05:33 AM
I just switched from a Yamaha R1 to my XB12 and noticed what I first thought to be a warped rotor almost immediately. However, after evaluating what was going on I realized it was just the motor vibrating the bars as I was coming to a stop. When I tightened my grip on the brake lever it gave my hand more of that vibration. Think about that before you jump right to the warped rotor explanation... I-4's have no vibration like that!

Midnight82
05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
I had a similar problem. I bought my bike used, and found that the triple tree was loose. (previous owner must have been rockin some hard wheelies)

Might want to check that out.