PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally a proud Buell owner!!

Builtdesign
04-15-2010, 01:46 AM
I just bought a '06 Blast. Sure its not the translucent red scg I always dreamed of, but its the closest thing I can afford as of now. And while its not as exiting as some of the other bikes I've owned, it's probably the best commuter so far. Plus how do you beat 60mpg?!
Anyway, I do have some questions of course. I'm really confused about the gear ratio. Well, actually its all good untill I hit the highway going 70-75mph. Its seems to do fine in fourth but it really lugs in fifth, which leaves me scratching my head[confused]. I'm only 135lbs, surely it can't be my weight. But maybe my jacket picks up a lot of wind. It feels like I shouldn't be shifting up to top gear untill 80+. Is that just the way it is? Seems like in fouth at around 70 the engine speed is quite high??
Secondly, I was unsure if the auto-enrichener was going out or if its running too lean. At start up it would misfire through the carb, but is doing better now after some sea foam and a few tanks of gas. still a little bit of an issue though.
The other problem is a rattling/buzzing noise. The weird thing is that its only when I get on the throttle, let it coast, and its not there. Really haven't figure out exactly where its coming from. Maybe bottom end on the left side. Maybe a bad lifter? Its also hard to tell if it still make the noise under heavy throttle because the muffler drowns out the noise.
Hopefully thats enough details about it.
And thanks in advance!
Buell Pride:D

Oh and it was a riders edge bike with 1k mile on it and all stock.

mirkvid
04-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Congrats! pics please.

Bolt
04-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Awsome!! Congrats on the new ride![up] i've always wanted to get my hands on one of those & make a mutant.[smirk]
What year?

bttrfngrz
04-15-2010, 03:00 AM
congrats man! welkomme

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 03:01 AM
I had a blast, i wish i still had it too!

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 03:04 AM
btw, 5th gear in 50mph plus is really normal unless you feel it lugging. I drove a lot on the interstate with it and you def want to be in 5th at 70mph

Builtdesign
04-15-2010, 03:04 AM
2006. Kind of thinking about making it a cafe racer. Then I might think about selling my all cafe'd out '75 Honda CB360T. And with that money (and probably a bit more) find a cheap salvage 1125r and fix it up for track use.:)

Builtdesign
04-15-2010, 03:06 AM
btw, 5th gear in 50mph plus is really normal unless you feel it lugging. I drove a lot on the interstate with it and you def want to be in 5th at 70mph
Hmmm...honestly I'm almost at WOT to keep it at 70 in 5th [confused]

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 03:29 AM
You can always add a tach to it, I believe there is a write up on here somewhere. The blast will really throw you off at first on how to shift and such because there is no tach. Also, be prepared to replace rear tires quickly, the bike has almost equal torque and hp and the small tire diameter allows the bike to eat thru a tire.

Stevenc150
04-15-2010, 03:53 AM
Congrats and welcome to the Buell family! Great to have you on the Board. :D[up]

hula Buell
04-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Congrats!!! You will like this site.Ride safe:D

agfish18
04-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Hmmm...honestly I'm almost at WOT to keep it at 70 in 5th

really? I remember a long time ago (when I had a blast) I had gotten in to over 100MPH, so I know it's got more in it than 70 MPH

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
yes, mine topped out just over 100. The bike isn't fully broken in yet either, check the air filter, and lines, spark plug and coil. What kind of gas are you using? Also, make sure the dealer didn't do something to limit the power on the bike, highly doubtable but still.

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
btw, what is really funny was I had to settle for a Blast when I was looking at a new Translucent Red xb12Scg. HAHA, but i got the blast with 5,000 miles excelent condition, like new, for $1,000. couldn't beat that.

agfish18
04-15-2010, 04:45 PM
well, at least you didnt do your shopping in Pittsburg.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3262_20100415094450_L.jpg

IYAOYAS
04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Congrats on the ride. Sounds like you may have a restriction in the exhaust or in the air inlet side. Check your air filter and maybe try and slip off the muffler and see if it will open up a bit. I ran my 02 1200 sportster over 120 at wide open, that blast should easily do 100.

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 05:57 PM
btw, if you want a little performance boost, my blast came with a Vance&Hines Pipe. Very loud, people could hear me before they could see me, very helpful because people don't pay attention. having the pipe on and the carb jetted really gets the blast some extra power.

Builtdesign
04-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I agree it must have something restricting the power. I think the jets were dirty for one thing because its been misfiring less and less on cold starts. I usually disassemble carbs on a new bike to clean them, so this was my first time using seafoam. Not sure if one full bottle should have done the trick? And the air filter is brand new. Maybe I'll have time this weekend to run it without the muffler...

Just to clear things up a bit, the bike can definitely get up to 100mph. I guess what I was trying to say was that below 80 in 5th the bike struggles to keep speed. Above 80 and its good. Shifting into 5th at 70 feels like shifting into 4th at 30 [sad]

How much does exhaust and/or re-jetting change the fuel economy? Some more power would be nice but right now I'm more interested in keeping the gas money to a minimum.
I'll definitely be getting a tach soon! I keep looking down expecting one to be there.

kyle_dewald
04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
with the vance&hines and jetting the carb, I got between 60-70mpg city driving. usually drove 5 miles to work and back and I didn't take it easy on it. btw, the faster you go, the more wind you will be catching, so doing 70 with no windshield will cause you a lot wind resistance.

ezblast
04-16-2010, 10:58 PM
SHIFT TO 5TH @ 65. Make sure primary is on the loose side or it will rob top end.
EZ