PDA

View Full Version : new rider

chris in iraq
01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone. I'm in Iraq right now with the army. I have a lot of time on my hand to think what kind of bike to get. I want to get the Buell xb12scg, or the Buell xb9. The problem I'm having is that I haven't ridden a motorcycle in years. do you think one of these bikes would be good for me or would it be too much power for an inexperienced rider. the thing is I can buy the bike here and it will be waiting for me when I get home, interest free till I get get back to the states. so what do you think?
thanks
Chris

buellxb
01-22-2007, 11:19 PM
First of all Thank You for handling business over there in Iraq. [up]I had the same question before I got my '05 Buell XB12Scg. You'll be fine. I only rode a Honda CBR 600 F4 for about a year, then I took about four years off. I love my Buell XB12Scg. I'm 5'8" and it feels like it was custom made for me. The power is as much as you want whenever you want it, but it's very stable and controllable. My Buell feels very solid. Wide tires and the low center of gravity makes you feel confident even with a 1200cc engine mounted on a 395 lb. bike. I've only found one drawback and I hope to fix it with my next visit to the shop. I smell like gas pretty hard core when I get off the bike, but I think I need to reset my TPS or change the octane of my fuel. I love Buells because they have so much unique engineering features and I've never ran into another one on the street. They seem to be rare and I like being different.

chris in iraq
01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
buellxb.. thanks for the info it's just what i want to hear..lol. so i think on the first of febuary im going to do it.BUY THE SUCKER :D. and thank's for backing us troops over here[up].

2Evil4U
01-24-2007, 12:03 AM
They're not hard to ride. You just have to respect the handling, braking and torque. I've had my XB12X since October and I've put about 2200 miles on it. It's a great bike once you get used to it.

BTW: Give the hadgis hell man. My son's in the Army at Irwin and my daughter's in the Air Force on her way to Japan. Hooah!

buellxb
01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
I have three cousins in the Marines. Another cousin lives with me and just finished 6 years of service with the National Guard. Would it help if Buells were standard issue? :D

Swordsman
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey Chris, did you get your bike yet??? :D

No, they're extremely easy to ride, so long as you respect the beast. The throttle is a little twitchy at low rpm's, and with that much torque on tap, it CAN get hairy pretty quick (think parking lots). But again, if you just take your time on it and get used to it, it's a cakewalk.

For example, I've been riding less than two years, and still haven't taken my MSF course. My learner bike was a Yamaha 225 dual sport. After 6 months on that, I got a freakin' 1200cc Lightning Long. Talk about a big, scary jump! However, I'm proud to say that after a year of riding it I've only been in one accident, and that was when a 70 year old man ran me over while I was STOPPED in a turning lane. :p

So again, respect the beast, and it won't be a problem at all!

~SM

Darrinfox
02-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey Chris,
I hadn't riden in 18 yrs and bought a 05 cityx. As long as you're a responsible guy and get used to the bike and how it rides and don't go beyond your own limits of riding you'll have one of the most fun machines built. I put 13000 miles on mine in one year. I rode from ocean city, md to nashville and syung through the tail of the dragon on the way home. For the money and performance you get you just can't beat it.
Darrin

MrOrange
02-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Chris
I havent ridden in 15 years and just picked up a new XB9 the other day. I have ridden it only once but it was like cake and pie. Good luck in Iraq, I had not made it there yet but I'm sure that my time will come-- proably soon the way things are going...

W Lee USAF

GMAN
03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
I thing if you go for the lighning,get defnetly the XB12 as tould its very handy,y controlable,i come from pure sport bikes and circuits, and i tell you that this is a total differnet concept of bike,and i think im not wrong saying,that if you have just a bit of usefull brain you wont scare,cuz you have controll all the time,on brakes,acceleration,curves...(except speed) bare in mind its not a speed bike,i`ve not driven over 100mph on that bike,but i think that in any way its not supous to be riden on its top speed,its nice to know you can,but it doesnt mean you have to....

P.D.:If you try it you`ll fall in love with it 4 sure...

Thats my opinion...