PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gasket?

AgentOrange
05-04-2010, 11:47 PM
So, again, I am dealing with an oil leak issue on the Buell Blast. In the past, I had the rocker box gasket go out, so that was what I initially thought was happening here again, though, the oil does not seem to be spraying from the same spot.
When the bike is running, mostly when it is running hot after a long ride, or I am on the throttle a little harder, I notice that oil is bubbling from the four hex bolts from where the head bolts onto the lower part of the engine. Obvious head gasket blown? Just want to make sure since I had the rocker box gasket go out twice.

Thorivola
05-05-2010, 12:04 AM
that certainly does sound like a head gasket, or a base gasket

proper torque pattern for installing a new set:

torque to 9 ft/lbs on all 4 bolts, then torque to 15 ft/lbs on all 4 bolts, then torque an additional 1/2 turn on all four bolts (reaches roughly 47 ft/lbs, but that number is not an actual spec)

then loosen all bolts until they are free to turn by hand

following that, repeat installation patter of 9-15-half turn

it is best to do bolts across from each other, in an X pattern

good luck

tuneport67ss
05-05-2010, 12:16 AM
If oil is bubbling, it sounds like you have a lot of crank case preasure. This will also blow out your valve cover gaskets YOu should check to make sure that all of the crank case vent hoses are not stopped up. As far as the bolts, On my old shovel heads, when they eventually started leaking there, we just put a small amount of RTV on the threads. It is highly unlikely that you need to replace the head gasket. But I would for sure check out the crank case venting system before I did anything. YOu may find it is something simple that has been causing issues the whole time.

AgentOrange
05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Edit:
okay, so when I said it was the head that the oil was bubbling out, it was because I was just repeating what my friend who is a mechanic told me when he looked at it. I started it up today and looked where it was coming from... Above the timing cover on rider's right side of the bike there is a black piece which goes from the low end of the engine to the top. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what this is. There are 4 hex bolts which tie it down. This is where the oil is coming from.

icepop77
05-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Push rod tubes.

ezblast
05-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Tuneport has the right of it.
EZ

ezblast
05-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Something is clogging the oil drain hole on the head, is my first thought, and bad venting as well - checked the umbrella valve/pcv valve for working as well - replace.
EZ