PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Buell S3...no battery charging.

miketherider
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Have a 2000 Buell S3 with 7900 miles, and just replaced both the battery (Yuasa HD) and the VR a few months back.

When we replaced the VR, it was never charging above 12V while running. Put the new VR in it and had no problems.

We don't ride the bike a bunch, but get out at least once a week for a short ride just to keep things fresh and moving (bought a new XR1200, so trying to sell in a bad economy).

Just last night, we checked the battery again because it was running rough at low RPMs and after checking the voltage, realized it was not charging...again.

I know the XBs have issues with the "77 connector" from the VR to the battery fuse. I'm not sure what the equivalent is on the S3 for that; the two prong connector from the VR or something else?

Not sure where to begin. Going to check for any shorts in the system later today and possibly picking up a used VR to see what's up.

The only caveat I have is we use a battery tender (trickle charger) to keep the battery fresh in between rides. Recently, we had a battery tender that blew a fuse. I know the battery tender puts out quite a bit of power, so not sure if the fuse blowing from the charge possibly caused an "event" of major problems? Any help is needed and appreciated.

ophawk
05-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Have you done all of the checks for the stator windings? They have been known for shorting out.
That is where I would start, second, My Father had several bad VR in a row on his XLCR.
I would check on both of those, that will usually find the issue.
I had a similar issue, battery die, charge it up then a week later dead again.
What I found out is that if the battery voltage is low, or you overcharge it, that can kill the VR.
I run Piaa high wattage lights, and was driaing the battery down, so I replaced the Charging system with the 3-phase system from the earlier XB's.
Its been on the nearly a year without an issue.

I hope that helps
Dale