PDA

View Full Version : I freaking dropped it [mad]

GMan1125R
05-10-2010, 03:55 AM
[mad][mad][mad] Towards the end of a 250 mile ride, I pulled into a gas station to get some gas. Kicked the stand down (or so I thought) and started to get off the bike. Well the stand wasnt down and before I realized this, I was on my ass and the bike was on my leg. I panic and pull my leg out and the bike suffers some deep scratches on the bottom of the EBR plastics. I also somehow scratched the rear pillion cover, I think with my boot. [mad][mad][mad] UGH! Im so mad at myself right now.

I have dropped my Sportster a few times over the 5 years Ive had it, but never caused any damage. I have never layed it down while actually riding just in the garage or parking lots.

Is anyone else as clumsy as me? Tell us about your dealings with gravit.

jreinke
05-10-2010, 04:03 AM
buddy did that on his 1125r about a week ago. sorry to hear

onelogue
05-10-2010, 04:04 AM
lol my cousin did the EXACT same thing to his Brand New CBR. So funny
Sorry didn't mean to laugh but it was funny when my cuz did it.
I dropped my bike in an intersection :D

AudiXB12R
05-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Back before my Buell riding days, I was dismounting my old F3, put the kick stand down, and apparently I was on some soft dirt (driveway) and it (the kickstand) punched right through the ground and went straight over, with me on still on/under it. [confused]

strmvt
05-10-2010, 04:08 AM
been there done that only had a semi-healed broken leg at the time and wind blew me to my weak side and well the pain of trying to hold the bike up bout caused me to faint and down I went and rebroke the leg lol

BKKBuell
05-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Sad to hear but believe me its worse to ride and forgot the stand down (disabled the switch)... I was lucky and nothing happened but thats the reason why I painted the kick red… to see it when its down/up... and never forget: **** happens
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4536_20100509211027_L.jpg

tarvis
05-10-2010, 04:59 AM
yep I have almost pulled out with my kickstand down too
might have to paint it red see if that helps

303xb
05-10-2010, 05:01 AM
been there done that only had a semi-healed broken leg at the time and wind blew me to my weak side and well the pain of trying to hold the bike up bout caused me to faint and down I went and rebroke the leg lol

i ALMOST went out today with my busted leg (7 weeks in). so tempting, but glad i didnt. how long after you broke it the 2nd time did it take before you were riding?

tarvis
05-10-2010, 05:05 AM
7 weeks? man how long does it take to heal just out of curiosity
I had a severe sprained ankle like a year and half ago and still isnt 100 percent still weak and hurts

strmvt
05-10-2010, 05:09 AM
lol which time? was at nite went to rent a video had a tinted shield turning off a 35mph onto a residential street gravel in the turn front tire washed out low-sided on the and re-broke what healed from the last time. after that I waited about 2 weeks before I went out again got forced off the road by a merging car down a hill went down again and re-broke it again. living in Mi at the time and dr was in Oh so try riding 100miles on a sportbike with a broken leg 3 times every damn bump no matter how small hurt like hell if I could see a bump coming I'd lift the leg off the peg most I didn't see lol so I re broke my leg 3 times in all after the 3rd time the girl took my key and hid it lol said if I need to go anywhere she'd take me no more damn bike til leg is healed. Long story short let the leg fully heal bud. Better to wait and heal then to b hurt and have to fix the bike I am freaky about turning right ever since even on the track I find my self leary about dragging the right knee.

303xb
05-10-2010, 05:11 AM
not sure. physical therapist says at 12 weeks, ill be close to 100%. been the worst 2 months of my life. f'in annoying and walking around on crutches like JIMMY form southpark.

i'm pretty close to walking (i can walk in the swimming pool)...another 2 weeks or so.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs509.snc3/26728_376891713732_758648732_3807320_2847808_n.jpg

strmvt
05-10-2010, 05:28 AM
looks alot like mine did

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/strmvt/676A0019.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/strmvt/676A0018.jpg

Had to remove old rod and drill out the bone and put in a bigger rod to get my leg to heal after 3 yrs
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/strmvt/SSPX0145-1.jpg

tarvis
05-10-2010, 05:30 AM
OMG damn dude
just looking at that xray hurts

303xb
05-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Geeezus. WTF

strmvt
05-10-2010, 05:38 AM
lol which one his or mine? and for the record I really didnt feel anything b/c after the car accident I was in shock and was given morphine when the meics got there and was heavily sedated til surgery in the morning

ophawk
05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
I have dropped mine twice, once rolling backwards out of the driveway on an angle, catching the curb and throwing the weight to the left while the left foot was fully extended forward. The second time was in a gas station kickstand not fully down, pinned me between the air pump and the bike, cracked the mirror on that one.
Then I parked it at my sister's and her hubby, pulled out of the driveway and ran it over with his truck. And then My ex-girlfriend, current at the time did a Tommy-Tipover on a speedbump @ 5mph or so.
When a Conversation starts with "Don't Be Mad", It ain't going to be good

strmvt
05-10-2010, 06:13 AM
thats supposed to be medics

tarvis
05-10-2010, 06:29 AM
both of those xrays ouch
ive only ever broke the first joint on my pinky finger (spiked volley ball) and it hurt like hell
cant imagine that stuff
just damn

upthemaiden
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
I've dropped most of the bikes I've owned a couple times. The first was just because it was a huge xt550 dual sport, and I'm not so big. Most recently I used to drop my triumph because I'd forget to take the disc lock off the front wheel before I'd try to pull out of a parking spot.

The worst stupid one i've had was when the bike was parked in my friends angled driveway. It wasn't so angled that my bike would've fallen over normally, but as I was strapping something onto my seat, and pulled the bungie cord down tight to hook it on the right passenger peg it just pulled the bike over with it. Had to ride home 45 minutes with no right side peg. I put the passenger peg down and tried to rest my foot on that one most of the way.

kyle_dewald
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
never "dropped" it myself, only wrecked. But I did vow to throw myself under the bike if it did fall over. :D

agfish18
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I have only dropped the 1125 once.. pretty embarassing. I had my girlfriend on the back and I came to a stop. she leaned a bit further than I was balanced for, and when I squeezed the brakes the extra weight made the bike tip before I could get my foot down to stop it.

BigRedonBlack
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
i found out my bike can second as a catapult when my front tire locked up at 20mph when an SUV stood on its nose to make that last second turn into kroger... women cager drivers

kyle_dewald
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
amen to that Big!

Alfatango1
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I did it with my bolt too a long time ago. After a 60 mile ride pulled into this awesome state park, kicked the stand down (Almost all the way) got off and over she went. Didn't crush leg or any thing and the only damage was my clutch lever curled into a semi circle. Sure sucked two finger pulling on the return ride.

Jon0341
05-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Never dropped any of my bikes but have left the stand down before, hopefully have learned because Buell doesn's have that safety feature!

ophawk
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
The buell's do have that safety feature it is required by law. most have had it deactivated b/c the kickstand, clutch lever or neutral switch goes bad. Mine the the clutch lever switch went bad, I was only able to start in neutral, I shorted the terminal on the switch, and then the bike will start in any gear, but bypasses the kickstand switch and will move with the kickstand down.
And yes I have done that also, freaking scary the first time, now I remember to check it as I roll away.
Later

myronman3
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
i guess i am the odd man out here. i have never dropped any of the bikes i have had. i guess i have always double, sometimes triple checked and i am always aware of the type of ground i am putting the kickstand on. i am not a real trusting guy; especially if we are talking about trusting myself!

MAGIC
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear that man, hope you're fine and bike is fixable easily.

I almost dropped my xb yesterday... front wheel slipped on some oil patch or gravel while turning but luckily I was able to save my ass prepping the bike with my right leg, twisted the throttle and it got right back up. Pure luck... I was scared sh#tless and almost hit the car in front of me. I came back to the garage right away and parked it. Said to myself today it's not my day to ride.

tarvis
05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
About dropped mine couple months ago because they dont go in the snow just so every body knows

GMan1125R
05-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, it helps to know Im not the only clumbsy person out there. I didnt physically get hurt at all just my pride. When I had my spranged ankle I didnt ride for two months, only one of which I was on crutches.

Arkitek
05-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Yeah man it happens to the best of us... I dumped my old bike a few years ago coming out of a turn i've taken the most and took for granted... my driveway... Thats what i get for not assuming a light dusting of gravel.

BadDad320
05-11-2010, 01:49 AM
I painted the end of my kick stand yellow.... Makes it easy to see......

gigem2
05-11-2010, 02:23 AM
A buddy of mine pulled up to a conveniance store, got off, and the bike stayed balanced on the tires, just long enough for him to step on the curb torward the store. He realized his mistake and turned in time to see it fall.
I almost layed my Virago over making a U-turn in a space big enough for a Semi to U-turn! I had too much speed, and was lucky enough to straighten the bars and stab the ground with my foot to rebalance it, and finish the turn.