PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Title issue?

buellxb
12-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I've been riding my Buell XB12Scg now illegally for almost two years. I've never actually put the title in my name although it's sitting in my filing cabinet. Does anyone know if this prolonged delay in registering the title in my name will cause any problems at the BMV (Indiana)?

2Evil4U
12-15-2007, 11:50 PM
The only thing I can think that might throw a flag is if there is any documentation of mileage. Other than that, just tell them it's been sitting in your garage. They might charge back taxes on it though. Best bet would be to create a current bill of sale with a recent date.

Somthngfrce
12-16-2007, 03:36 PM
i know from Wholesaleing cars here in Florida, just like 2EVIL4U said, there's a 50/50 chance that it will be red flagged and you there's a chance your title is going to be a TMU title, meaning True Miles Unkown just because of the time gap difference between the sale and title work being done. If you go in just be nice to the title clerk at your office as he or she can make your life hell ( i know from experience) and tell them you bought the bike, had lots of problems with it and you decided to let it sit in the garage. Hopefully they will just move on past that point. Most of the time, if I see a car at an auction with a TMU title, I don't bid because that little branding looses half the value of the vehicle. Good luck man! Let me know if u have any other ?'s..:D

buellxb
12-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! The good thing is that I haven't put many miles on my Buell, maybe that will help.

Somthngfrce
12-17-2007, 03:34 AM
What was the mileage then and now? What state do u live in? I can ask the title clerk here at the Olrando DMV with a "what if" question reguarding your matter when I go in after tuesdays auction.

buellxb
12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Indiana. 1000 miles when purchased. 1060 miles now. My motorcycle is a 2005 XB12Scg. Thanks!

Somthngfrce
12-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Ok, so I asked and she said that relly it all boils down to the Clerk. If you make the person mad at the counter or annoy and he/she realzes the time discrepancy, then you might have issues. Damn, you only put 60 miles. The miles shouldn't be a big deal. make sure the title has the mileage on it when you turn it in,other wise you will also have to fill out an odometer disclosure statement and then the headaches begin. Hope that helps, if you have any ?'s let me know!

2Evil4U
12-18-2007, 03:38 PM
hell, 60 miles is nothing. just tell them you rode it home.

2Evil4U
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
and get some more miles on that thing! ;)

buellxb
12-18-2007, 07:30 PM
So is the story of my life. I work way too much. I have all sorts of toys that never get used or ridden... XB12, my wife....

I've put more miles on buellxb.com than my motorcycle.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.