PDA

View Full Version : Anyone, extended swingarm at the XB/s?

sinpieces
12-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi,

i got fed up with a nervous front end, so i bought a Bitubo racing steering damper, later on i raked the xB/s from 21 to 23 degrees to get rid of the twitchy front end. Well, it worked out well if you like to go a little faster:)
My main issue now is that i am 100% sure that if i could extend the swingarm to that of the Ss long, the bike would have way better highspeed traction and control. I have a 03/04 bike with the older swingarm. Anyone that really knows if it's possible to do this mod? What will be needed for the swap?
Do i need to change the rear shock also or could it be made to fit the new longer swingarm? I know the belt need to be changed.

If you think, why don't he just buy the Ss long?
Answer is, i can't afford and it's not worth paying all that extra €/$ for this. Surely this has to be possible!?

Also, how do i lower the frontforks 1 - 1.5cm or lift the rear 1.5 - 2.5 cm's?
(I can't not afford the cg forks.)

Please, no far out, and/or out of fact ideas.
I really want to make this correct and fully workable.

Last dream for a future XB/s/r.... the Revolution 1250cc, "Buell reworked" with new cams etc etc in a updated XB chassi!
[up]

slag kustom
12-21-2007, 03:07 AM
look for a post by me on putting an 2006 long swing arm on an early frame. still working on it but will have a full parts list when done.

jcrane82
12-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Hello,

I have a question for sinpieces.....I am looking to do the same thing you have done with your XBs. I have a 2004 XB12s and want to rake the front end a couple of degrees and possibly extend the swingarm in the same manner you are proposing. Question is, how did you rake your Xbs? Did you get a triple tree kit, or possibly use a XB12Ss or a XB12STT triple tree? Please help as I am in need of some info. Thanks.

sinpieces
12-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi jc,

ofcourse i will help you find what you need.
Visit Trojan-horse at the web(suspension and chassis) and you'll find the raking kit among other fun stuff.
You won't need to change anything but the bearings in the steering neck. You have to deposit some for a tool that you need to borrow. If you look at slag kustoms project you'll notice, just as i did, that the extended swingarm mod will cost great deal of cash[sad]
Which probably will make me pull the brake at this project. All i can do is hoping i find a way even though it seems impossible now.
I must say, i did not fully realize the extent and what was needed for this to work. Anyway,.. the raked bike behaves more relaxed in higher speeds and the steering damper (Bitubo) worked good but with both - it's way better!
The nervous front end, is now a mere memory.
In my opinion the short swingarm is what is stopping me from going faster now. Strange, but i have never heard anyone saying that they notice a wobble in the rear, but i sure do. I am sure that the bike would have better control and traction with a longer swingarm. I also would like to lower my forks 1 - 1.5cm.

It never ends, does it!?

His_and_Her_Buells
12-26-2007, 12:34 AM
The easiest way to lower the forks is to just raise them up in the triple tree clamps. With stock bars this is not possible as the tubes already come within mm's of the bars. If you put on risers and handlebars with less rise you should be able to do this. This isn't anything I've done just what I have observed from staring at my Ss for hours on end.