PDA

View Full Version : Free Spirits Extra Trail Kit

jcrane82
12-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Hello,

I own a 2004 XB12s and am looking to get rid of the twitchy front end caused by the short wheelbase and steep rake. Someone on this site showed me the option of using the Free Spirits Extra Trail Kit, found at this link http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/148.html. My question is, is this a reputal product with good results? When I was considering raking my bike, I was assuming I would take the triple tree from a SS long XB and place it on my XB12s. First off, is the last statement possible? And secondly, is the raking kit from Free Spirits my only choice to add a couple of degrees of rake? I love my Buell, and my only complaint is the twitchy front end on long drives. I really don't feel like paying the extra money to step up to a long, plus I like the look of the seat better on mine. Can anyone help me get some facts about what is possible when it comes to raking my bike? Thanks. JC

LeFox
12-24-2007, 08:30 AM
the free spirits option works, got a friend who mounted it and is happy with the result.
giving you a more smoother 'drop-in' when taking corners and more stable at higher speeds.

but all depends on what you mean with twitchy front-end..maybe you should look more into a stabilizer???[confused]

the difference in rake between the ss & the s is in the frame, not in the triple tree...so option 2 would not work for you.

sinpieces
12-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi JC,

well, as mentioned. I have the kit and it is good quality and not a cheesy product, really, you should have no worries at all. As Lefox says, steering damper is a good choice but they work different from eachother. I started with a steering damper, had it for 2-3 months and then added the trail kit. I would say that you better (best:) use both for best results. The difference is quite big i could say right away. Only remember to use loctite 270 when you have this kit mounted. There are two small screws which is attached into the frame. For these you need loctite 270. Otherwise i use to have loctite 243 for everythings else. Oh, and i think you can forget the the triple tree for the Ss long. The 04 model has a few mm thinner fork legs than the Ss long and i guess you can't use this triple tree for your model. Go for the Free Spirit kit (and a steering damper) you will be satisfied and you'll see there are no twitch or nervous front end vibration at all.
I am sure you could ask Matt at Trojan and do not forget to borrow the tool for the mounting procedure.

Good luck! ;)

sinpieces
02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Trail kit does this... add 28mm trail, fork lenght is 12mm shorter due to the less steep angle. Wheel base is 1345mm instead of 1320mm.
No fear, it is superb!!!

JWolk217
03-08-2008, 06:05 PM
What's the difference between RAKE and TRAIL?
If I'm not mistaken, the rake is the angle that the forks are? Big chopper sleds have enormous RAKE, right?
http://www.howlercustomcycles.com/bigbear/the%20sleds/the_sled300_chop.jpg Then what is TRAIL?

BuellPartsGuy
03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/pics/rakeandtail.gif

LeFox
03-08-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.buellforum.nl/images/smilies/stupid.gif

couldn't have explained it any better :p

JWolk217
03-08-2008, 11:57 PM
THANKS! That was very helpful. So the FreeSpirits extra trail kit is a set of bearings that go in the neck of the frame.

If anyone out there has installed this kit,
-[1] is it difficult to install? and
-[2] was it worth the time/effort/money?
-[3] do these bearings come with installation instructions? What about special tools?

http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/images/148_2.jpg
Free Spirits Extra Trail Kit (http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/148.html)

LeFox
03-09-2008, 08:22 AM
sinpieces has it...try and mail him ;)

sinpieces
03-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I will cover 1,2 and 3 i think.

The bike will be more stable. You will get rid of the twithyness in the front end. I would suggest you leave it to a mechanic to do this. You do need a special tool which you pay a deposit fee to loan, money back when they get the tool. If it is worth the money! Well, that is as everything, subjective. If you would like to change this because you are curious it might not be worth it. If you are satisfied with the XB/s and do not suffer from the twitch, do not install it. If however you notice the twitch and also notice that a steering damper will not make this any better this is the key that you look for.
I like to go fast and this is one factor of many, that is gold to me.
If you need to ask more, do it and i will try to explain what ever you might wonder.
You need a special tool and they recommend Loctite 270 for two small screws that you will nail to the frame. A mechanic does this without problem.

LeFox
03-09-2008, 06:59 PM
i would like to add here that if you experiance a twitch, that this could also be caused by wrong absorber settings. [smirk]

JWolk217
03-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Sinpieces or anyone else,

I have set all of my suspension settings to the factory specs for my weight. SEE? (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Setting-up-your-suspension-is-cake) I just installed a Hyperpro Steering Damper, and I'm still not satisfied with the high speed handling.

I am considering purchasing this Free Spirits Extra Tail Kit (http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/148.html). Can you send me any directions available so my mechanic can give me a labor estimate? Should my mechanic have the special tools to press these bearings so I don't have to get a tool loan?

LeFox
03-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Can you send me any directions available so my mechanic can give me a labor estimate? Should my mechanic have the special tools to press these bearings so I don't have to get a tool loan?
remove:
- headlight assembly
- front brake
- loosen fork clamps
- remove stem (make sure the front wheel is locked)
- slide fork clamps
- remove fork
- get the bearings.
and then fit it again...that should give your mechanic an idea on the time he needs to spend.

the tool can be made pretty easy, although i don't think that renting it will be a big cost.
it's just something that ensures that your bearings get in correctly.

sinpieces
04-05-2008, 01:58 PM
JWolk217,

if you got the Hyper pro steering damper, which is same in construction as my Bitubo. I understand you, i started exactly like this. Fact is, suspension setting will not change what you talk about. You are better off installing the Trail kit from Free Spirit and still use the steering damper. Both of them will do the job quite good. You notice a significant change in handling. The kit will add 28mm trail and lower fork 12mm, the wheelbase will be 1345mm instead of 1320mm. I can't really say if you must have the tool, but you get the deposit fee back and i would not save on the shipping back and forth. You know you only pay this fee in deposit. This has to be correctly done or you will have problems. You need to drill 2 small screws into the frame, one for the upper and one for the underside bearing. So use the tool to get the bearings (upper and under) correct. This is what makes the rake 23 degrees instead of 21.

I have manged to brake a clamp at my steering damper, so i drive without the Bitubo now. It is better with the both of them. So i ordered a new spare part from Bitubo. Once you are accustomed to the trail kit and the damper you will just see how strange it is without them. Don't be scared, this is an improvement, i promisse... just wait untill you twist the throttle and notice stability;)
If any question, just ask.. i have done more changes, like a Penske 8987 and a new racebar just to change cockpit and adjust the rear height higher (Penske) and better tuning of the rear (traction and better control).

msgvb
02-15-2013, 06:51 AM
wtf?!? nail screws to the frame?!?

I'm interested in this kit, myself. I love the way the bike feels on smooth roads, but, and perhaps this is just my lack of ability, I find the bike disconcerting in turns at slower speeds or over irregular surfaces. highway ride comfort? forget it. still adjusting the suspension, but the SS bike feels a lot smoother, imo.

You need a special tool and they recommend Loctite 270 for two small screws that you will nail to the frame.