PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Forcewinder for my X1

Yazzie
05-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I've gotten sick of all the plastic that makes my lightning look so bulky, so I am ordering a forcewinder to put on it, and I am sure this will cause me to order a few new parts to go with it. I'll post a few images and updates as I go along.
Yazzie

Yazzie
06-08-2010, 07:01 PM
SO I got the Forcewinder yesterday, decided to remove the breadbox and everything else to get an early start for tomorrow since the sun was setting.
breadbox, gone. everything gone, organized and put away. I opened the Forcewinder box to take a look and make sure I had everything, looks like it is all there, but then I took a look at the instructions. Immediately I was confused. Not only were the instructions poor at best, but the images attached were the worst I had ever seen. I can't even tell what parts I am looking at in the images. I am wondering if they ran out of ink while printing or just figured I would know what I was doing.
Needless to say, I have no idea what sequence the parts should be installed and have resorted to looking up images on google of those who posted shots of an X1 with a forcewinder.

need help,
anyone with a FI forcewinder installed in their bike, if you could please post an image of what it is supposed to look like installed, that would help me out greatly.

Yazzie

Stevenc150
06-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Here's the only help I got for you, (courtesy of cas4.com (http://www.cas4.com/Force/Intake/AirCleaners/Buell%20Air%20Cleaner%20by%20Force.htm)).
Also, as bad as I hate to say it, there's a larger following of these older bikes on Badweb. :o

Carbureted

http://www.cas4.com/Force/Intake/AirCleaners/XR2-CARB-Forcewinder.jpg

Fuel-Injected

http://www.cas4.com/Force/Intake/AirCleaners/XR2-FI-Forcewinder.jpg

Another one

http://www.cas4.com/Force/Intake/AirCleaners/Original-Forcewinder.jpg

Yazzie
06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks Steven,
These are actually the same photos I used to mount the FW. Still not too clear about one thing, but it mounted, fits tight, starts right up and sounds great.

I'm going to take it for a ride to see how it does.

twobuells
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
I did not like the looks of the cover for the air temp. sensor. It is almost invisible without the cover.

Yazzie
06-09-2010, 01:59 AM
yeah I threw the cover back in the box, as much as the war pony rumbles its just another thing that will come loose and cause me problems.

The instructions never noted where the lines led to. they just ran a triangle around and ended up behind the forcewinder. Also, people were saying to grind the opening bigger to make it more powerful, but I have a feeling I would just find a way to screw that up. Thinking of riding it to a shop to have someone take a look and give me the look of, "wtf? you couldn't figure this out?"

twobuells
06-10-2010, 12:42 AM
I used about 3ft of rubber hose and routed it down the front of the motor tucking it behind the oil filter. Its blends in well with the black motor.

Yazzie
06-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I got everything in tight, there is more pull in 1st gear. People were saying I'd get a ton of puke on my leg and on the bike, but nothing so far, not a drop. I think I'll end up doing the same twobuells, keep it simple and hidden.

I to love that it isn't so bulky. Took of all the extra plastic, seems like its cooling off faster after my rides too since most are very slow and in traffic.

Thinking of taking it for a drive to Arizona, and if I do I will open it up in the higher gears to see how it performs. Keep you all posted.

Yazzie

kalali
06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
"people were saying to grind the opening bigger to make it more powerful,.."

That applies to the FW used on the Carb models not FI. As for puking, most people (including me) routed the breather lines to a catch can vs. feeding it back into the filter. Depending on your climate and your bike, you will get some puking and you may get it all over yourself if it is excessive for the intake tract to consume. As for performace gains, I've seen a bunch of dyno charts for different bikes before and after FW and none show any noticeable gain in the lower portion of the RPM range and some minimal gain up in the range >6K RPM. A combination of the FW and a free flowing exhaust like V&H or D&D does smooth out the torque delivery between 2000-4000 RPM and that "feels" like more "pull". All in all it is a good upgrade. I have had one on my X1 for couple of years now.