PDA

View Full Version : Chain Conversion

Dillyo_Xb9s
01-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I need all Buell parts listed with part numbers and where to get them from.

If you actually did this to your bike I need step by step instructions.

What offset is on the sprockets for a stock 2003 xb9s with a 530 chain. I have a 51 tooth rear sprocket (Vortex) and an RK GB xso 530 chain, I need the rest.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
-Jered (Dillyo_xb9s@yahoo.com)

BuellPartsGuy
01-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Check out this site. Out of stock for now but they know where to find one

http://www.americansportbike.com/shop/

Buellbomb
01-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Front sprocket(21 teeth); V-twin # 19-0384 / $13.97

Idler pulley; Gates # 38023 / $16.78 (Auto Zone)

xoptimizedrsx
02-13-2007, 08:12 AM
on this chain conversion. i need one bad. who has it affordable. the adjustable tensioner. what are the good part numbers. i need to purchase and where do i get them. i dont want to push my bike no more that is old and belts are costing me too much. time for chain. american sportbike will not respond. plus i dont need 4 different rear sprockets. i have a 03 lightning xb9s help please

BuellPartsGuy
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Trojan horse has another chain conversion also, but its expensive.

If you really want it that bad I can get you the complete set up off of a XBRR, but its not going to be cheap

BuellPartsGuy
02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Try this site

http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/trojanhorse/prods/132.html

BuellPartsGuy
02-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Or try this one

http://www.freespirits.it/catalog/raceparts_en.php

xoptimizedrsx
02-15-2007, 11:40 PM
that partnumber from autozone is not correct i just ordered it its a pully not a chain. the vtwin is a 21 tooth but i'll find out next week if its right hope so or its 30.00 wasted too. the pully at autozone was 23.76 but i got it refunded.

BuellPartsGuy
02-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Why are you so dead set on a chain conversion. I beat the holy living **** out of my belt drive and only snapped one due to the age of the belt. Obviously something is not right on your bike if you are snapping belts all the time.

xoptimizedrsx
02-18-2007, 08:21 PM
i have the 03 the one with the tiny teeth not the newer one. here our local dealer doesnt help much. the 07 has free replacement of the belts. plus i ride rough. i want more torque to be applied. i know teeth are a result in the ratio but doesnt belts fall in the pully catagory. where circum is where you get the ratio. if you look at an 03 its rear pully is not much larger than the front. where the newer bikes there is alot of differance. which leads me to be having an 03. my stress on the bely is trying to move it faster and at a totaly different ratio than the newer belts. thats why an 03 will topout higher than the newer bikes but are not as snappy. i have tried to talk to buell on converting the bike to the n ewer setup pullies but they told me there tech lines are dealer not public. so i got no where. if you put an 03 belt by a 07 belt there is deffinatly a massive differance. they even changed the 03 belt to a different one during production cause of a breakage problem. they dont hold up. thats why the newer belt has a different design. i cant get answers from buell on fixing my issue. my motor is not stock i have morepower aprox 126hp @ the rear with stock pullys. max hp 134hp.with this the belts dont last on a launch or hitting second they will snap or rip off there teeth. the bike has never been wrecked or laid down it is aligned correctly. its just an older bike with the poor sized pullies thats why buell chainged there setup on the newer bikes. the newer bikes this is not a problem. the road race guys run even more power than i do they cant run belts either they break them often on there old buell the same year as mine. its just the 03 bikes with the issue and some 04's. can you get me the proper belt setup for the new style belt the one with large teeth not a wimpy 03 belt. thanks mike

BuellPartsGuy
02-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Just buy the 05 belt setup off of a Firebolt. It will retrofit onto it. I have an 03 with the 05 belt and pulley update. I dont have any problems with mine and I beat the living **** out of my belt on a daily basis. I work at a dealer man. If you want any tech questions like that answered let me know.

03 SET UP

front pulley - 30
rear pulley - 72

07 set up (05 and newer are the same)

front pulley - 27
rear pulley - 65

If you figure out the ratios on the two, they are almost exactly the same. Nothing that would make any type of significant difference. The main different in the year set ups is the pitch of the cogs of the drive belt. They redesigned them to have more width in between the cogs on the belt itself. It in turn, made the set up stronger and longer lasting under the same abuse. If you need to know anymore about this let me know.

BuellPartsGuy
02-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I figured out the difference you are probably feeling in the bottom end snap between the years.

primary gearing

03-04

35 tooth drive

05-07

34 tooth drive

the clutch baskets are the same tooth count and part numbers on both years. Granted a tooth down on the engine sprocket is going to give you more bottom end snap, but not enough to make a night and day difference.

xoptimizedrsx
02-18-2007, 11:51 PM
can you get me the part numbers to buy for the new belt and pulleys both front and rear. if the idler is different i should be ok i made my stock one adjustable. but i do have a fully adjustable one on the way. it made for the TT models. but fits the xb's just fine. can i get the 34 tooth count for my drive to fit my 03. that sure would make the overall a big differance. my tiny(03) ones are junk. they strip off and/or break when i bash them. my chain setup is on the way all parts confirmed. i can sell it if the newer belt will fix my issues. what will they do for a belt warranty if i break one of these new belts. do i just buy another or return the belt only. on the new belt and pullies from a 05 does it matter if its a firebolt or lightning xb9 or xb12. the more torque the better. thanks mike. you are a great help. i am willing to give the new belt a try. before i go 100% chain. if its not to much more costly.

bahamasair
02-19-2007, 12:31 AM
I never knew there was a difference between the 2003 and 2004-up pulleys. Im interested in doing this mod myself.

BuellPartsGuy
02-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Ill let you know when I get back to work tomorrow. Ill price it all out. [cool]

xoptimizedrsx
02-19-2007, 06:58 AM
what a great thanks. i bet after this is posted you can make alot of sales for all of us on the 03's. mine is a xb9s lightning. this way you get the right belt setup for me. now the bike will look newer than it is with all my mods. right now its the beltt that gives away the year.

BuellPartsGuy
02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Ok here is the breakdown.

Front Sprocket - 40288-95 - $141.95

Rear Sprocket - G0400.1AA - 117.00

Belt - G0500.1AAE - 152.00

That would be a complete conversion for $410.95 plus uncle sam's share. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you want to go ahead with this.

bahamasair
02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks bud. Im going to grab a rear pully from ebay. I see em going for 20 bux on a regular and if I cant get the other stuff Ill hit you back. Im going to wait for my belt to break before I do anything tho lol. I need new tires so I will have to burn mine out before changing them and am not sure how well this belt will take to that :)

xoptimizedrsx
02-20-2007, 01:18 AM
ok thanks for the items list. i printed it out for my records. my manual is not in still what thread direction is my front pully nut and what is the torque.
i got my sprockets today but i am sure the front is not correct as to what measurements i was given buy a buell road racer.

so the autozone part is wrong and so is the vtwinn part for the xb's our nut is larger than the area it suppose to blot into. so thats a problem right there and its very thin. i am calling ron at metaltekracing to order the right part today if not today i'll get it tuesday morning since i am so deep into my conversion already. my rear sprocket is awsome looking from vortex. and ron at metaltek is getting me my 530 idler and sprocket already. once i get my parts and a part number for them and the total cost on a 530 conversion i'll post it. with a pic or two.

xoptimizedrsx
02-20-2007, 04:39 AM
what about the idler is it the same or different? and do you keep the same front pully cover. i know the belt guards are different.

BuellPartsGuy
02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
belt guards on the rear are different. front does work but in comparision of bike to bike they are different. Idler pulleys are the same.

Maxo
03-17-2007, 06:47 PM
xoptimizedrsx, how much are you paying for that idler bracket from metaltekracing? I'm considering a chain too and having a tough time finding a similar unit. I have an '04 but I'm having a less common issue with my belt rubbing somewhere and the factory fix is a new idler pulley. But if that doesn't fix it I'm going to a chain.

Fyi... The '03 and '04+ pulleys are not the same. I've compared the two side by side and '04+ bracket is definitely longer. If you mount an '03 pulley your belt would be too loose.

lucas70374
03-18-2007, 12:41 AM
K0100.07AH Swingarm Kit

Comes with everything except 530 chain and sprockets

certifiedbiker
03-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Check out online catalogs. They are really helpful, especially when you are looking for good deals!

xoptimizedrsx
04-12-2007, 12:16 AM
h have a extra set of sprockets now. i converted my bike over. these are direct fit parts with chain never ran just bolted up and checked. i have a set just like them on my bike i ride everyday.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260106723029&rd=1,1

CoastieRider
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Drag Specialties 530 chain conversion for buells
$345
This might not be for XB's, maybe tube frame buells, doesn't say.

http://www.dragspecialties.com/product/getProductDetails.do?application=dragspecialties&regions=6&segmentId=1&productId=33832

http://services.lemanscorp.com/images/size/200/media/edge/1030000/1038700/1038770.png

thrstrmech
07-22-2011, 04:54 AM
what exactly does dragspecialties.com conversion kit mean by the kit being available in four ratios? is it the sprockets? if it is, they don't specify any in either of the kits

can anyone elaborate on this please, thanks

TerryS1980
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
It most likely comes with a 21 tooth front and 4 rear ranging from 46-50 or somewhere close. The stock ratio is 21/50.