PDA

View Full Version : Pulleys for Buell XB9

xoptimizedrsx
01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I have a 2003 Buell xb9 lightning. I want more zip in the bike. I don't worry about top end. Tickets are bad anyway. I want to be able to pull the front tire up easier in 3rd gear and second without adding too many rpm's. I am thinking about going to a 28 tooth pulley up front. Stock is 30 front and 72 rear.. Who makes a good 28 tooth? how many rpms will this add at 65 mph. or should I go with a 29 tooth and get my results. I don't want to add over 350 rpm at 65mph that's my average speed I ride. someone help. If you have already don't this. did it help out with adding torque for pulling the front up easier. I don't want it dangerous, revving monster or fuel hog. I just want it to be not stock but not to waist my funds either. I don't have to be the fastest on the long haul but in town I want to be the first to leave one stop sign and the first to stop at the next. I want it more snappy, but not wanting to flip over.

BuellPartsGuy
01-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Changing pulleys on a belt drive system gets hairy, trust me. You would be better off getting the chain conversion from the XBRR, americansportbike.com, or trojanhorse.com for europe. Or there is one other option. You can take the primary gearing out of a XB12R and that will give you more bottom end. I am not sure about the RPM increase.

maybebuell
01-28-2007, 03:40 PM
my guess would be 300 rpm

xoptimizedrsx
01-29-2007, 12:41 AM
well i did find a exact replacement pulley for my Buell. and its a few lbs lighter. I'll drop the front from a 30/72 which is final drive 2.4 to 28/72= 2.57 final drive a difference of 0.17 . can someone help with this. on gearing i am real rusty for a bike. It's been a long time too long to remember its rules and formulas.

BuellPartsGuy
01-29-2007, 03:18 AM
I would say try the primary gearing first, then go from there. With the belt tensioner set up on a Buell, you can't be off. You'll snap belts. Just advice from my experience. Had a couple guys think you can just swap pulleys from Sportsters just because they bolt on. Replacing a $200 belt gets old after the first time.

xoptimizedrsx
01-29-2007, 11:02 AM
the pullys i found come with a spacer made for a 03 xb9s and xb9r. i will lok into this more. they come with a shim and new bolts that are a hair longer according to the sight. i'll get the part numbers.aluminum drive pully 1/3 lighter
601-390 28 tooth
601-391 29 tooth
601-392 30 tooth
these are for sporster abd buell from 1991 to 2003. according to j&P CYCLES. PAGE 668 ON THE 2007 ACCORDING TO THEM I AM SAFE. ON MY 03 BUT 04 AND UP IT WILL NOT WORK EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT. I'LL GET IT DONE AT THE DEALERSHIP THIS WAY IF IT BAD ITS THERE BABY. SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT. THEY ARE GOING TO CHARGE ONE HR LABOR PLUS THE PULLEY.WILL COST ME 139.95 BUT ITS FROM THEM NOT MYSELF.

BuellPartsGuy
01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Check and see if your 03 had the belt and pulley update done to it already. They had a change in 04 with the pitch of the belt cogs and a lot of people at dealerships changed them to the newer design when they need a belt or 10k. Then that pulley may not work. I would also double check that it does for sure fit 03 XB models. Just like the Baker 6 speed they make for sportys and Buells. They say it fits 91-03 Buell and Sporty, but they dont say it wont fit the XB models. Usually that year range is only talking about the tube frame Buells

xoptimizedrsx
01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
feel me in on the pulley update how do i tell?:)

BuellPartsGuy
01-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Can you make out a part number on the belt?

xoptimizedrsx
02-13-2007, 07:55 AM
i broke my belt. i have the old style belt on it well had. who has a belt at the best prices. i also want to get a chain gearset for this bike being belts give so much trouble. all i need is part numbers. pitch and chain size. i'll order them. a kit is crazy high. there has to be an alternative to being scalped as to what sprockets they ae using. i need all three. my pulleys are 30 and 72 now i would like to make it a little hogher to slow down the topend but bring up the bottom torque. just a little. please help with the part numbers of what fits and where to get an adjuster from to keep the chain at the right tension.

BuellPartsGuy
02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
We get it... you need a chain conversion dude. Third times a charm. [smirk]

xoptimizedrsx
03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
my bike has its chain on it now. rides awsome. i took it from a final ratio of 2.40 to a 2.50. with that chainge i did loose a few top end mph but the stail middle dissapered. so i say the 03 xb 9 works better with the lower final. but my bike isnt stock it has some mods.

ncbuell1452
03-18-2007, 03:24 PM
where did you find the chain conversion at for the xb9 ...and what was the cost

knotrider
08-12-2007, 02:50 AM
hey ncbuel452, there is an awesome XB chain conversion available from a company called grandstanddesignes.com. I have two of them. One on an 039R and one on an 0512R. They come with everything you need in one easy to install kit. It even comes with four different rear sprockets so you can change ratios whenever you feel like it. This kit uses the stock swingarm so you don't have to alter that stubby little 52" wheelbase that makes the XB's so flickable. Check them out I'm sure you will like their stuff, I did. Oh yeah, it was under $1000.00 for everything...I think $800 and change.

xtremelow
08-12-2007, 03:13 AM
I would say upgrade to an '04 xb pulley and belt setup. It is 14mm which is a little bigger. It takes no frame modifications and is a direct bolt on since it is made for the xb.

And I might not be correct but I was told that a belt is the most efficiant way to transfer power on a bike. But I have always wondered if that was true why guys insisted on a chain.

My thought. Oh I have the belt upgrade on my bike and I have no problem with power on the bottom end. But it might just be the race kit, air box delete, and moded top fairing inlets.

Brandon