PDA

View Full Version : 99 X1 Ignition Problem

mstrfrz
05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
99 X1, VDO Race ECM, 365k miles. Rear cylinder misses. I can pull the wire on the rear cylinder and the bike continues to run on the front. Reversing the process, and it dies. It's been going on for quite some time, but lately getting worse. Wiring looks OK, new plugs and wires. No noticeable change when I put the stock ECM back in. HELP!!!

mstrfrz
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Sorry, 36.5k miles.

ophawk
05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Have you tried to switch the terminals on the coil to see if it will then run on the rear?
If it does i would highly suspect the coil being bad. other than that, it could be a fuel injector issue.
Later,
Dale

mstrfrz
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Which terminals, exactly? I do suspect it, but isn't a coil an all-or-nothing part? The rear cylindar fires MOST of the time... Can injectors be swapped?

ophawk
05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
the actual terminal for the plug wires. yes the coil is one unit firing both plugs each time, and if one side is bad the unit would need to be replaced.
yes the injectors can be swapped also.
let us know
later,
dale

mstrfrz
05-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I didn't know both cylinders fire simultaneously. If that is the case, you'd expect similar performance from each. Off to check...

mstrfrz
05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, they obviously don't work that way. I got a few impressive backfires, but that's all. It'll be a day or so to swap injectors.

ophawk
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
unless the ignition system has been changed they do work that way, the Sportsters and Tuber Buells are a simple system, they fire both plugs each revolution one for the TDC compression, the opposite cylinder is during the exhaust stroke and is wasted.
Later

ophawk
05-27-2010, 07:40 PM
never mind I just re-read the original post, concerning the Race ECM, that would change everything if it was changed over to a Single fire system.

One other place to look is the timing pickup sensor, as that controls the actual firing time for each cylinder, if the sensor is not receiving a signal for the rear cylinder, that would cause the same symptoms you have stated.

sorry for the confusion.
I can be Slow sometimes.
Dale

mstrfrz
05-28-2010, 06:57 PM
The manual says non-waste spark. Problem is intermittent. I'll explore the wiring from the pickup to the coil...

mstrfrz
06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
OK, swapped injectors. No change. Isn't an ignition coil an 'all or nothing' part? Since it does fire both cylinders, the culprit would be the ignition pickups or wiring between?

ophawk
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM
yes you would be correct, it fires when it get the signal. so the pickup sensor/wiring would be the next logical place to look for this problem of one cylinder firing and the other not!

kbaddict
06-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Just a suggestion. Check your engine temp sensor. I had an 01 x1 they acted like it had an ignition problem that got worse and worse. I eventually took it in because I couldn't figure it out. Turned out to be a faulty sensor. I also had a race ecm on it.

kbaddict
06-04-2010, 11:10 PM
If I'm correct, isn't the temp sensor on the rear cylinder?

kbaddict
06-04-2010, 11:43 PM
The ET Sensor provides the ECM the current engine temperature. Proper fuel and spark delivery are dependent on the temperature of the engine. The ECM will provide a richer fuel mixture on start up and a higher degree of spark advance. As the vehicle warms up to operating temperature the fuel mixture will lean and spark advance will decrease.

mstrfrz
06-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Hmmm, how would I test that sensor? I've got new problems now. My clutch (I hope) needs replacing. Is that right @ 36.5k miles? It runs roughtly (bucks and kicks) off a stop and I can rev the engine in gear...

ophawk
06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
The Clutch may just need to be adjusted, I have nearly 70k miles on mine without an issue.

kbaddict
06-09-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm not really sure how you could check it. I would start by locating it and checking the wiring for shorts. I don't think the part is expensive so you might try replacing it if it's cheap enough.

mstrfrz
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
clutch ok, lost 1/2 the teeth on my belt, though.

Anybody got a part # on that sensor?

kalali
06-11-2010, 06:56 PM
A couple of things. I've never heard of a VDO Race ECM for an X1 so I assume you're talking about the Buell Race ECM. Now, it sounds like regardless of the ECM you have an intermittent spark on your rear cylinder. Did I get it right? First of all, when you say the "wiring looks OK" if you mean visual inspection, then that counts for nothing. You can't tell a bad plug wire from a good one by just looking at it unless you have superhuman power. Do youself a favor a get a shop manual and a voltmeter. Or just go ahead and replace the wires. They cost about $3 each. Once that is done and the problem is still there,, let us know we go from there...

mstrfrz
06-15-2010, 07:53 AM
the plug wires are new. I can swap them between cylinders and have the same problem. Continuity checks OK too. ECM has "VDO CONTROL SYSTEMS, INC." molded right into it, and is stamped "FOR RACE USE ONLY." Visual inspections of wiring can find broken, frayed, or burnt wiring. I can confirm my xray vision inspections of wiring with a multimeter.

Yes, the spark on the rear is INTERMITTENT.

ophawk
06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Okay, I have the answer.
The DDFI fuel injection, VDO/Wahlbro was the supplier for it stock, the Ignition is a Non-waste spark meaning that their are two coils in the coil pack, one for the front and the other obviously for the rear, your rear coil must be bad, if the primary and secondary wiring all looks and tests good.
find a replacement coil hook it up and see what it does.
Later
Dale

kalali
06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
+1 on what OP said. I didn't know about the Wahlbro-VDO connection.

mstrfrz
06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
OK... anyone go a spare coil?

mstrfrz
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
or suggestions for a good coil? There's no MSD for bikes, is there?

mstrfrz
08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Finally replaced the coil, and things seem much better. Are there othe ignition components I should check for wear?

mstrfrz
07-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Problem remains. New coil, plugs, and wires. Are there separate ignition pickups? Could it be a bad signal to an injector or fuel pump? I did have an itake manifold leak fixed, but hasn't helped.

martinwill
07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Get ecmspy and a lead, a must have tool for fuel injection buells, with it you can reset tps/afv, run diagnostics and check timing etc etc

mstrfrz
07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I might as well have a dealer hook up for me. That seems to be a lot of trouble.

mstrfrz
08-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Put in the factory ecm just to see. Same problem!!