PDA

View Full Version : frame wrinkles????

acepilot79
05-27-2010, 02:39 AM
hey after my friends bike accident we just got it back and it doesnt look too bad actually, but did notice there are some waves on the frame by the huge welds on the front sides, and I was wondering if there are waves on you bikes? its very important that you guys respond, cause everything on the bike doesnt look bad at all but if the frame is bent then it will be totalled. the front forks look like they are bent in alittle fyi

SMDUB1
05-27-2010, 03:00 AM
I dont have waves.. Well nothing noticeable anyways.. can you past a pic? [confused]

reebis
05-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Waves equal things moving around, which usually means the frame has been tweaked. I wouldn't want to ride with a frame like that.

Stevenc150
05-27-2010, 03:50 AM
2nd the Pics

acepilot79
05-27-2010, 04:03 AM
ill take some pics as soon as I can but shouldnt the coat flake off or something?? if the frame was tweeked??

1stxb9r
05-27-2010, 04:25 AM
if the frame is bent the paint MAY flake depending on how bad the bend is. The paint can flake due to stress since most paints are not pliable.if the frame is wavy then most likely it is bent, good luck.

acepilot79
05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
how do they check for frame straightness??

bttrfngrz
05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
the way i check for frame straightness is do about twenty five take your hands off the grips and gently press your back brakes. if it pulls to one side the frame or the forks are bent. the 100 percent effective way is with a frame jig. custom motorcycle shops have them.
(but you have to dismantle the bike)

racepro716
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Might want to try this, it is not perfect but it might help. Lock the fork left and start taking measurements. From the bar end to the rear axle center. Then from the lower triple clamp,same thing. Now lock the forks full right and start over. If the measurements are different the frame is most likely tweaked. Measure lots of places. Should put you in the ballpark, good luck, wayne

Mike Van V
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Interesting...last time I measured a frame for straightness...we used straight steel round bars (made for just such a thing) and dial indicators...
We made a plug that is tight in the steering head and swing arm mounting holes.
And I thought THAT was somewhat hoky.

Measuring with a tape and a "locked" fork...may get you in the same globe (earth!)...but ah.

Driving down the street with your hands free and hit the brakes...hmmm..funny!

There are (used to be) bike frame shops around. A check in the world wide web may turn up something close to you.

For my nickles worth...since the wrinkles are in both a tank (frame) and a stressed member (frame)..I think I'd be looking for a new frame...but that's just MY butt I'd want to keep off the road from an easilly broken frame (at this point).
Bending metals makes them harder in the location of the bend...and you know what happens if it's bent back and forth a coupla times...!

Mike

racepro716
05-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Hey Mike, granted what I said won't tell you if it's bent by a few thou, but if it's bent more than a few millimeters you should see it. I agree with most everything you said though. Also if the forks are bent enough to see it's probably a good indication the damage goes deeper. Wayne