PDA

View Full Version : 98 ST3

Phuell
05-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I have been rebuilding this bike from a pile with only my sportster knowlege(small) some assembly at a local bike shop and a manual. Engine runs/sounds great. when I put it into gear kaput!!! I suspect the interlock starter system as I have replaced the plugs wires, V.O.S. and rebuild on the carb.Also I have adjusted the cluch and had it2x checked to make sure I had it right. Can I just cut this mess out and not use them or is it just something I have to fix? Kickstand is the one I suspect. Would the timeing being off cause this type of problem? Also I noticed that the neutral light bulb assembly is missing could it be as simple as that? In the manual it describes how to trblshoot system and discribes a multimeater setting RX1 is that on a special type of meter? I have 3 and no rx1 setting I am not the electric type but if that is what is kepping me from riding this bike then so be it. Any help is appeciated

ophawk
05-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Hello Phuell,
I have the same 98 S3 no T, but the same otherwise. I had a similar issue, the troubleshooting procedure is very good, I think they are referring to the lowest ohm setting on the meter (resistance x 1 ohm), I chased mine to the clutch switch, which I shorted so I could start in in any gear. The neutral light may be the issue, I would have to check the manual as I can't recall the schematic here at work. also the Kickstand switches have been known to be an issue also.
I hope that helps
Later,
Dale

Phuell
05-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Can I just close the circits and scrap that system? Or is the ign mod dependant on specific input?

ophawk
05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
NO dependency, you can just bypass all of the interlocks it will run, you just have to be aware of what you are doing.
Those where put in place to satisfy the "Feds", to keep the lowest common denominator among us safe from doing stupid stuff, ie starting the bike in gear-no clutch, letting the clutch out-in gear on the kickstand.

What I did I had an issue with my clutch switch, so I shorted the two terminals going into the switch with a piece of safety wire, that took care of all the rest as the bike now believes I have the clutch in all the time.

Hope that helps,
Later,
Dale

Phuell
05-29-2010, 07:39 PM
thanks I'll try that if the system check is bad.