PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the firebolt

ninjathatcould
01-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Hey guys. This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking for a while.

Let me start off by saying I'm on a ZX7R and I really love most everything about my bike. I'm looking to add to the family, not replace what I have. I always see discussions about the performance of a XB versus that of a 4cly. The consensus I have come to is what the v-twin lacks in top speed, it makes up for in fun. So this is not intented to be a discussion about the XB versus anything else.

What I want to know from Firebolt owners:
-how is the comfort on long rides (300+ mi)?
-how reliable is it for a commuter? have you had any major problems with it?
-how solid is it in corners compared to a heavier bike?
-is it confidence inspiring? do you ever have moments that you feel the bike is taking you for a ride?

TIA for your responses.

dans03firebolt
01-07-2008, 01:59 PM
As I just got my Firebolt in December and I haven't ridden it yet because I am in Massachusetts I can give you a little insight as I had a Buell Cyclone before. The Firebolt is bar far more comfortable than my old Gixxer 750 so yes it will be much more comfortable than your Ninja in the long trips. Plus it only hold just under 4 gallons of gas so you will need to fill up every 150miles anyway. They are reliable as long as you keep the oil changed in them regularly. It will corner better than most any bike on the market even the ninja you just have to have the balls to hold it in there when it vibrates from the Vtwin. You definitely gain some confidence on these bikes for sure because they are so fun to ride and you have instant power from 1000rpm to redline unlike the 4cyl's where you have power from7k-13krpm.

Hope I was a little helpful.

PAIRTBOW
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
not to knock bro but a buell in corners is the best bike you can buy and riding a jap bike for any more then an hour or so is like riding a 2x10 down the road. again not to knock bro but for commuting and comfort and that you cant realy beat a buell plus u are not sittin on your nutts as much as a jap bike

buell = great bikes[up]

scobbie001
01-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I've had my XB9R for about six months now, and I'm hooked. I'll never buy another brand of sport bike if I can help it. The bike is very comfortable and you can move around the seat very easily. I use mine every day as a commuter and the only thing I've run into is the frame getting super warm on the right side due to the exhaust header ( while sitting in traffic...if you're on the highway you won't notice a thing). Inspiring confidence?...at first, coming from a small jap thumper (LS650 Savage), the 'bolt was very intimidating, but within two weeks I was nailing perfect twisties with no problem. Once you become accustomed to the feel of the twin's vibration, you'll be fine. Just do yourself a favor and buy a Buell...

bitter rod
01-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Love my Firebolt. No mechanical problems thus far. Only thing slowing me down is my lack of experience.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1259_20080109112337_L.jpg

dans03firebolt
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
That is a nice bike for sure but you definitely should put the red air box cover back on it would look much better than the CF one. Unless you are changing all the plastics to CF.

golfnutXB
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I've had my firebolt for nearly a year and i have to agreewit all the other buellers, its comfortable, confidence inspiring but i would never compare it to another jap bike. Buells are inherantly different, if you need a comparison, compare the jap with another jap.

slwglide
01-10-2008, 02:58 AM
If you buy a firebolt, your zx7r will start collecting dust. It will feel strange for about a week, then you will wonder why you waited so long. Take the reliability of the v-twin add the best of two wheel technology and cut the price in half, then you have a buell. HD will never understand what they have created. Only Eric Buell and the owners do.

Don't judge the bike after your first ride, let it teach you how to handle it. I know it sounds crazy but try it.

shortyxb12r
01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I've owned two firebolts. First was xb9r. Then I got a xb12r, never rode anything but buells and will never buy anything else love the bike in everyway. You will not regret the purchase of the firebolt

ninjathatcould
01-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies. I am planning on tracking down a white/blue xb12r within the next few months. I'll post up when I ride her home. :D