PDA

View Full Version : Spark Knock

yellowbezz
01-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I have had my Ulysses 2006 now for just over a year.I got it in Phoenix and used that crap gas there for 1 year. I got what sound like spark Knock after about 4k I am a HD tech, so not a new kid on the block. I but it on digital tech all is normal, check timing it was dead on I have retarded it 2(dig) still there, new plugs no help. I got back to CA were the fuel is better and am running 101 octain fuel a bit better but still there. I am thinking I have carbin biuld up on my pistons and heads. What Do you THINK. Has any one other than me had this happen to then

yellowbezz
01-07-2008, 10:57 PM
ANY ONE I CAN'T BELEAVE I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROB

typeone
01-07-2008, 11:46 PM
my 12 used to ping all the time in the summer. tried retarding the timing but it got weaker, and retarding the static timing actually can compound your issue since you are actually removing fuel as well.

i went nuts trying to track it down but eventually worked its way out as i tuned my mods.

i would try running a few tank fulls of Chevron Techron through it along with top quality, high octane gas from a station thats busy. even better if its a multi-pump type rather than single for all octane types.

only time i experience ping now is if i'm sitting in traffic for a ridiculous amount of time and i get on it coming off a light. i just get some air on the motor before romping on it again in that situation. never even think about it these days.

try the Techron and see if that helps clean things up.

MrOrange
01-08-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm with typeone, when my XB9s is really hot I get a little off idle knock/ping. Only when the bike is really HOT though, I hope that helps...

keghead
10-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Mines an '07 that I bought new this past spring.I have the knocking/pinging issue as well. She's in the shop for her 8000km service (at 11500). I tried the breather re-route and TPS reset (but could not recalibrate so I've asked the shop to do this). I did a road trip around Washington, Oregon, and northern California recently that put on 5000kms. I tried to fill with Chevron Premium when ever possible. Tried a mid octane tank full: WORSE! I live in British Columbia(hence the Kms) where our gas is usually higher octane and find the knocking/pinging even with 94. I'll let you know how she's running when I get her back.

Thaloc
10-17-2008, 07:26 PM
i would try running a few tank fulls of Chevron Techron through it along with top quality, high octane gas from a station thats busy.
I fuel at chevron cuzz it close to my house, but why do you guys advise it? also why did you say "a busy station" ov been told that the best time to fill up is late at night or early morning when no one else is, because the gas isn't sloshing around in the resevior and that those things are DIRTY! so if its busy you get dirty gas.

I live in Washington Keghead and go to B.C. frequently. I advise taking Stevens Pass over the cascades on your way back. Great pavement, great twisties![up]

GatorBuell
10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
also why did you say "a busy station" ov been told that the best time to fill up is late at night or early morning when no one else is, because the gas isn't sloshing around in the resevior and that those things are DIRTY! so if its busy you get dirty gas.

Busy stations go threw gas more often. With the prices has high as they have been the high octane may sit for a long time, as it sits it will lower the octane ratting (going bad).

To Yellowbezz post, I have noticed that some gas has more ethanol in it that makes my bike run like crap and ping under WOT. Citco is the only one around me that makes my bike run smooth and responsive. Sunoco and marathon are the worst followed closely by Shell.

blackxb12r
10-18-2008, 11:57 PM
my 04 xb12r has this issue as well. i only notice it when im in 5th and twist on the throttle. but if i sit for awhile and the motor gets real hot it will ping through the whole rev range in every gear. this winter it is going in for its 10k check up and i am going to have the shop check both timings and and maybe reflash the race ecm i have if they can. i talked to one tech who said with that motor it shouldnt be a problem just ride it but i am not going to risk my motor like that. have done a few mods and checked the plugs when it first started happening but they were ok. i have not had it a year yet but have put almost 5k on it. i didnt notice the pinging until the summer when it stayed over 100 degrees for several days. what bothers me most is i dont ride in town, my whole commute is interstate and im running 80 plus mph the whole way.