PDA

View Full Version : fuel injection upgrade on an xb9sx

Sawyer
01-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Does anyone use a Powerizer fuel injection controller with the standard ECU, K&N air filter and Drummer slip on, on an XB9SX. I've heard good things about this combo and was thinking about doing it.
Also it seems like an easy enough process to do myself. Is there anything I should look out for that could cause me problems, and is there anything else I need to add to the above to make it better.

Thanks - Andy

dmp0001
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM
everyone who I have heard from that used the powerizer loves it but I have never been ably to find any hard data to back up its claims..let us know if you find any! I think a lot of the problem is it is a forign product

budmann2002
02-10-2008, 02:47 AM
who makes powerizer and maybe you can let me know what the difference is between these two part numbers for a race ecm. 82008-05y and 82007-05y

BuellPartsGuy
02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
82007-05Y Fits '05-'07 XB9R and XB9SX models.

82008-05Y Not even a real part number

budmann2002
02-10-2008, 07:18 PM
if you look on ebay there is a race kit for a xb9 and the part no. on the ecm is the 82008-05y. thats what was throwing me off. would like to have but since i just bought the bike i will have to wait.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 02:01 AM
ok i broke down and bought the race kit after all. just got it in and can't wait to put it on. i was talking to the stealership and they were saying that it would void my warranty if they didn't do the install. is this a load of crap or is it for real. also as far as resetting the tps- 1st they said it would be a 30 min job at $75 an hr, then at the same time i was told it would take like an hour to do this. i just bought the bike from them and i feel like they are trying to stick it to me by charging so much for such a simple procedure. what should i do in a case like this?

BuellPartsGuy
02-18-2008, 04:56 AM
First off, thank your lucky stars you were even able to get your hands on a full Race Kit (air filter, ECM, and muffler). They have been obsolete for 2 years now and are hard to find. Next, in the overall correct aspect of things, yes, it will void your warranty. It says that in the instructions for the kit. Any modification of any emission system on the motorcycle is a warranty voiding procedure. On the other hand, warranty is mostly a dealer by dealer basis thing. If they choose not to warranty something for you, its entirely up to them. If you go in being an ignorant asshole, treating them badly and being pissed off, you wont get a damn thing done and they will take their sweet ass time getting it done, if they will even work on it at all. Look at it in this aspect. Just about every single Harley we sell at my dealer has a high flow air filter kit, Race Tuner, and some sort of noisy aftermarket exhaust system on it. Every one of those pieces voids warranty, but we still do warranty work on the bikes and have the parts covered. Its all made possible by the guys submitting the warranty. We take care of them because they take care of us. We just covered a $5600 warranty engine job on an 05 XB12R not too long ago. That bike had a Race Kit on it. Now, not to say that it will always happen that way. His damages were not and could not be directly caused by the Race Kit. Its a case by case basis and dealer by dealer basis thing like I said. When it comes to that situation, take it to a Buell friendly dealer, be nice to the guys there and genuinely ask for their help with the situation. You shouldnt have any problems. As far as if they didnt install it and it would void your warranty just because of that is kinda bogus, but they are just trying to cover their asses and make sure that it is done correctly for sure so that they can rule the the Race Kit for being any sort of problem in the future.

Next, yes a TPS reset is a 30 min job. Thats what it pays the tech to do it, and I have done them many times personally and it does take about that long. I full race kit install should be about a 3.2 hour service. If I remember right, thats what it pays. I would have to double check, but if they are offering to do it for only an hour, do it. If you dont want to pay for it, and you think its so easy, pick up a wrench and a service manual and do it on your own.

Just my two cents. You guys always vent about being jacked around by the dealers. I just want to show you guys whats its like on the other side of the counter. Not to say there isnt bad dealers out there, but sometimes they have to follow procedure and there isnt a way around it. Sometimes their hands are tied They arent always out to get you like you guys think. They are a necessary evil sometimes.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
whoa i ain't trying to piss anybody off on this forum. i realize that every dealer has a protocol to follow. i do appreciate the helpful advice and i understand the aspect of the service department wanting to put the kit on just to cover their asses. i am just sort of a diy'er and i like to get my hands dirty every once in a while. i just want to learn everything about my bike as much as i can. i also realize that there are going to be instances where i just can't do the work and will have to rely on the dealer. i work at a major car auction here in central texas in out recon department so i understand the processes that have to be taken.
i asked the above question mainly because i just wasn't getting very good vibes from the dealer. it just sort of seemed like they wanted to unload existing inventory and go their marry way. mainly concentrating on harley's instead of both. felt sort of like a red headed step child. maybe its just me. i would like to talk to other dealers service departments to find out how they treat buell owners though.
if anybody knows anything about central texas harley or any other buell dealer around the san antonio area please let me know. thanks

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
also on the ecm that was in the kit the bar code had the part # of 82008-05y but on the outside of the box it had the correct part no. should i be concerned about this.

BuellPartsGuy
02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I wasnt getting mad budmann2002, I was just letting you know. They probably were happy to get rid of Buell parts. Most Buell parts dont get a lot of traffic, so they are happy to sell it to get it out of inventory.

The part number on the box is what you should worry about. With a lot of the stuff, they will have a part number on the product itself that is purely for reference at the factory and is not a good part number.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 04:10 PM
thank you i do appreciate it. your post just came off like i had it in for the dealers. this is the first vehicle bike or car that has been bought from a dealer. after looking at the bike the hardest part of the install would be the muffler. the two back clamps woud be the hardest to get to.

keisersozae
02-18-2008, 04:26 PM
hey budmann, i live in san antonio, i have a xb12r, lets go ride sometime.

as far as our dealer here in san antonio, i have had good and bad experiences thus far. i had contemplated taking my bike to austin to see if they were more buell friendly but my bike hasnt had any warranty issues of late so i havnt made the drive.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 04:36 PM
yeah i live just right outside of new braunfels. i was thinking of checking out austin also. at least to go see the dealership. haven't been in there yet, but it looks like a pretty nice place. i got my bike from gruene harley. not downing those guys or anything just got a weird feeling from the guy in the service depart. just let me know when to ride.

BuellPartsGuy
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
The Race kit install is fairly easy if you are mechanically inclined at all. The hardest parts are getting to the ECM and removing the belt idler to get to the clamps on the muffler and torquing the axle back to the proper spec.

keisersozae
02-18-2008, 05:36 PM
just shoot me an email sometime budmann if you want to ride, i ride everyday but wouldnt mind seeing some new roads, it gets a little hillier up where you live. my email addy is listed in my profile, send me your number and we'll work on putting a ride together for sometime this week.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 06:15 PM
hey keiser i think maybe the only rideing i may get to do will be on sat and that will be just going to work. nothing but an uneventful straight shot down I-10 ackerman

dans03firebolt
02-18-2008, 06:15 PM
3.2 hrs for a race kit install is highway robbery if you ask me. They should easily be able to do it in an hour at max. It takes 5 minutes to put the ECM in. It takes 5 more minutes to change air filters and it takes maybe 30-45 minutes to swap pipes so that is just the STEALERSHIP being a STEALERSHIP.

Do it yourself for sure don't pay that kind of money to have someone do less than an hours worth of work. Don't try to tell me it takes 3hrs to do it either because they are Harley Tech's and have full lifts that make the job easier.

I could do that entire install in my garage in under and hour I just wouldn't be able to do the TPS reset and that is it.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
dan i know i could do the job too. especially at 3.2 hrs thats a lot of money. it might take me about 3 hrs to do the work but you know there is always the little breaks inbetween the actual work.

BuellPartsGuy
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I would pay to see you do an ECM in 5 mins on a Firebolt without messing it up, dan

Be sure to smile when they charge you to reset the TPS dan.....:p

No offense guys, but if you think this is so easy, you should be technicians because you would make a lot of money.

keisersozae
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
have you ever been up to chachos on thursday night budmann? i would go this week if i had someone to roll up there with me. last time i went there were about 100 bikes. buells always standout and alot of people stopped to look at mine. i usually go up there about 8.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
i used to work right across the street from alamo perfomance so i know the area. i have seen bikes there before but i have never seen 100 bikes there. this thursday-- umm i think its supposed to be raining isn't it. i don't know about 40 miles in the rain. if it ain't i will let you know. that sounds pretty dam awesome.

budmann2002
02-18-2008, 09:09 PM
by the way BPG its not that the job may be hard or easy its just that some of us really like to work on our own vehicles. i know for me it gives me a sense of accomplishment- whether im rotating the tires or changing the oil in my truck-i just get satisfaction from performing such duties.
under the right training who knows i might could make a little money doing that kind of work. i would just perfer to keep it as a hobby. its just funner that way.

dans03firebolt
02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
BPG. I took my Firebolt apart the other day and I had the entire nose off in like 3 minutes. Then 2 bolts to take the ECM out. There is no way it takes that long. I am very mechanically inclined though I have been working on cars since I was 16 and I am almost 32 now. The hardest part of that job is the pipe swap and that is it. Especially if you give me the air tools they have in the shop it would take even less time to do it. I use all manual hand tools in my garage. I understand where you are coming from because you are giving the deal aspect of the job but sometimes you just have to admit that they completely RIP YOU OFF!!!!!

I mean to get the nose off it is 4 nuts for the mirrors, 2 nuts to get the blinkers off and then the 6 allen heads to get the wind screen off. It is very simple I don't know why you are making it sound so difficult. Then once that is off it is just unplug the ecm and plug in the new one.

budmann2002
02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
some people just aren't mechanically inclined. it's not hard to understand how to do the work it's just that some people no matter how much you explain it to them just can't figure it out. even if you hold their hand.
i think that may be where BPG was going with all of that.

BuellPartsGuy
02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes budmann2002, thats kinda the direction I was going with that.

dans03firebolt, I know you CAN get the fairing off of your bike in like 5 mins, granted, but if its my bike, I would rather have them take the time and do it right and not damage anything. At the end of it all, you still need to take it in and get the ECM reset and TPS zeroed.

dans03firebolt
02-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes I know that is the only thing that sucks is you do all the work to it and still need the dealer to do something. They always have a way to rip you off somehow. Thank god my bike has the race kit on it already I don't have to worry about it. I also think I will join www.ecmspy.com so I can do those TPS resets on my own and not need the dealer for it.

BuellPartsGuy
02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
ECMSpy is a nice setup once you get the hang of it.

budmann2002
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
hey keiser i didnt realize that there were 3 different chachos in SA. which one is the one to go to. my buddy told this morning he saw someone riding an 1125r last night along with another lightening.

dans03firebolt
02-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah BPG that is what I heard. Hopefully it isn't too hard to learn and I can get the hang of it.

budmann2002
02-21-2008, 12:57 AM
ok dan thanks for the advice. i just got done putting the whole race kit on the bike. got it done in 1.5 hrs. now i just need to get the tps reset. is there anything else that needs to be reset. doesnt seem to want to idle but when you get the rpms up and your riding-all i have to say is damn thats awesome. it'll be better when it idles right.

budmann2002
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
got the tps reset at the dealer yesterday evening and it made all the difference in the world. i love it. i did have to pay but it was still worth every penny. it could have taken 2 hrs to reset that and i still would have paid what i did just to enjoy my riding. thanks everybody.