PDA

View Full Version : engine heat

SteveTackett
06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Has anybody had an issue with excessive engine heat? I know that the first generation of 1125R had a problem. My 09 1125CR seems to get pretty hot after about an hour. Even the frame gets really hot. Anything to worry about? I wonder if maybe I have an older generation fuel map or something. Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Red93stang
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
No worries, they all get hot. Check ur engine coolant, lots of people including myself had coolant bottles that were empty straight out of the box.

agfish18
06-10-2010, 04:37 PM
mine gets hot too... but mine is first generation 1125R...but nothing to worry about. use your temp guage on your instrument panel if you are worried.

Abledcool1
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Wrapping your headers can help the heat, I did it with my Firebolt and it helped.

agfish18
06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
mine are wrapped and it is still a bit warm...but just when I ride around in 90+ degree weather and am stopping every 5 minutes at a light.

SteveTackett
06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. Mine also seems to be more noticeable in stop and go traffic. I am going to install a Barker exhaust pretty soon and then maybe check just to make sure the fuel mixture is good. That might help but at any rate, love the bike. My 1125CR is my first Buell but I have wanted one forever. Thanks again, Cheers, Steveola[up]

AussieBuellRida
06-11-2010, 03:52 AM
Yeah Steve..mine had an empty coolant overflow bottle from new also.

Mike Van V
06-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Old info....all prooven....
Requirements -

1. More fuel
2. More ignition timing
3. Wrap the headers in thermal wrap
4. "Properly" insulate the interior of the frame (the stock insulation patches don't do much

One bonus of the additional fuel and timing....beside that it'll run "cooler"....it'll also run "better".

Mike

SteveTackett
06-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I checked the coolant bottle and it WAS empty. Must have been that way since new. Is it a big deal to re-insulate the frame? I think it may be running a little lean as well. I plan on installing a Barker exhaust so that might make it run even leaner. I think a fuel remap is in order. I took it out for a ride today it it got pretty warm but not undoable. besides it was hot enough here to fry a monkey. Cheers Steve

Mike Van V
06-13-2010, 08:31 PM
There's a coupla ways to alter the fuel AND timing maps. Harley dealers isn't one of them. They can't can't help.
One way is to contact EBR and get one of their "racing" ECM's.

And yea...most any exhaust change will lean out the system even more that it is now.

As for insulating the frame... It might be doable with the engine in place, but it will be a real pain to cover the whole thing.
I did mine when I had the engine rotated for its valve adjustment.

Mike

SteveTackett
06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
What did you use for the insulating material?

Stevenc150
06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Heat Barriers including a DIY (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Buell-aftermarket-parts/Heat-shields-things...)

rmarquez
06-15-2010, 09:10 PM
went to ROT rally my firebolt overheated in the slow ride had to wait for it to cool before it would start didnt think V-twins had this problem. Now my oil pressure light comes on before cranking it and after turning it off.

SteveTackett
06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey Stevenc150, thanks for the link. The Special ops looks just the ticket.