PDA

View Full Version : Buell reliability???

redbeard
01-17-2008, 07:35 AM
I just joined this board and I REALLY want to buy an XB12Ss soon as spring breaks, but im looking through these problems that people are having and it seems to me that they shouldnt be happening especially after such a short time. Ive always ridden jap bikes and never really had any problems with em. I'd MUCH rather be riding a buell, but if i can expect these kinds of problems I dont know that I want to. What are all your thoughts on this? I mean, if the motor is done at 45,000 or 50,000 miles that seems like a bad investment right? Help win me over because I'd much rather have a buell, but not if I cant rely on it. Thanks.

2Evil4U
01-17-2008, 12:56 PM
what problems? i've got 20k on my 06 with no issues i'd consider significant.

LeFox
01-17-2008, 02:00 PM
i have had no problems at all with mine and if i would have, i would still think it's worth it :p

you gotta look who is riding it and how and only then compare the problems...

i'm repeating myself if i say it, but i'm going to do it
'if you take care of your buell, your buell will take care of you!'

dans03firebolt
01-17-2008, 04:14 PM
All you have to do is take care of the required maintenance and nothing will happen to it. I put 10k on my old Cyclone and the only problem was a factory recall on the rocker box gaskets because the paper ones started to leak. Once they put the metal ones in there it was perfect. I would say go for it man it is worth the fun the Buell provides.

redbeard
01-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I understand how someone can mess up a machine by bein real hard on it and not taking care of it. Im never abusive to my toys, and always take care of them. I guess Im just a bit worried about how many miles I'll get out of the engine. Is that true that harley claims the expected lifespan of that motor is only 50K miles?

dans03firebolt
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
There is no way that a harley motor is only good to 50k. I have seen many with 100k on them.

2Evil4U
01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Where have you seen HD claim a 50k life on the motor?

I've got a 1978 Shovelhead FX with nearly 80k on it. If it will last like that these things are good for infinity with the right maintenance.

Tork
01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
If you're curious about problems that you've heard about then list them specifically so that someone can address them. You'll find people posting about problems on boards for any bike - go look.

For every post about someone's problems, there are probably countless others that aren't having any significant problems at all.

Somthngfrce
01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I will add to this that a bike is as good and reliable as it's owner takes care of it. I have an 05 Xb12s that I bought second hand with 4k on it. Before the purchase, I was sure to ask and look at service history,etc... to make sure it was taken care of as I didn't want to buy a bike and have it break down on me! If you buy new, then make sure you follow service intervals as specified by BUELL. I also went with synthetic oil on my bike since florida is hot to begin with and the bike is air cooled, but I wanted to make sure to take care of my bike so it took care of me. I will say it is a GREAT bike, even more fun to ride than my VROD!, so good luck to you .[up]

redbeard
01-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Maybe Im just paranoid. To me the XB12Ss is the PERFECT bike for me, and it seems too good to be true I guess. Usually there is always some caveat to something I want. Ive never had one problem with any of my jap bikes so Im a bit nervous to stray. HOWEVER, I think I'll stick with my decision to get the XB Lightning Long. I do take care of all my toys and never beat on them beyond what they are intended to take. Cant wait for spring now.

2Evil4U
01-19-2008, 12:11 AM
You shouldn't have any real issues. With correct maintenance, oil changes, plugs, TPS resets on the older models, etc, these bikes are just as reliable, if not a bit more so than a water cooled bike. (No radiators to worry about, coolant leaking, no valves to adjust.)

stevensue
01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Amen! No valves to adjust :D

badbandit12
01-22-2008, 12:44 AM
7100 miles not a bit of problems other than a lady pulling out in front of me thank god I didn't hit her just laid the bike down not much damage from that either. was suprised.

chrispudd
01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
No reliability issues, no new chains every year.... Just ride it!! I've got an 03 XB9S with 48000kms and I ride the piss out of it. Stop thinking about it and get one already.

japasskicker
02-03-2008, 01:07 AM
I own a 96 Thunderbolt and a 2005 Lightning XB-12S. I run the hell out of them both and never a problem.Like I say to people that look at the bike and say "What the hell is that"? Get one and then you will understand.As far as the 50k theory goes...Never heard of that one.