PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber question?

buellxb
01-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I recently sacrificed my Buell to the carbon fiber Gods. Most of my plastic was completely ruined to have custom carbon fiber molds made to sell on buellxb.com and BuellParts.net (http://www.buellparts.net).

I now have prototypes made. The question is... UV protection or no UV protection? The parts look beautiful in natural carbon fiber. I've been told that the carbon fiber will turn slightly gold when exposed to the sun for a long period. The UV protection will add weight, but may be better for appearance. The UV protection doesn't matter if you're going to have the parts painted. It will also add cost to the parts. Does anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

The air box cover is being molded from my 2005 Buell XB12Scg. Does anyone know if fitment is different for various years and models? Firebolt, Lightning, Ulysses?

BuellPartsGuy
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
UV Protection is a must if it isnt going to be painted. Thats why there are cheap CF hoods for cars and nice ones. The cheap ones dont have UV protection, and they fade within a year.

The airboxs will fit all years. Only difference is the changed them slightly by putting the vent in the front when they changed the inner air box style in '05, but they will physically fit all years.

dmp0001
01-25-2008, 02:35 AM
I had some non protected carbon on a Yamaha I used to have and it turned really yellow, it was ugly! it only took a few months definitely protect it. you could offer a version for paint and one to run raw if you wanted to have a low cost option

buellxb
01-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I'm going to have all the carbon fiber parts clear-coated and UV protected. [up]

rndrkeagle
07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
you can also get UV protected Epoxies that should protect them just as well. The other thing (I'm just learning about doing CF and Kevlar Layups) is that you need to be careful of what you use as a mold release if you plan to have them clear-coated afterwards. Clear-coat won't stick to many epoxies and it will have lots of issues sticking to anything if you use wax based releasing agents. That wax absolutely MUST be sanded off prior to applying any finish (clear or not).

I'm starting to look into making my own molds and slowly start building out my 'bolt with CF pieces. Anyone that has experience doing this type of work I would greatly appreciate any advice they have to offer. I've done some fiberglassing but never tried my hand at CF/Kevlar. Has anyone tried making pieces using the CF/Kevlar hybrid fabrics? There are some REALLY nice color options available at a few different suppliers that I'm really interested in trying out. If anyone has any experience with this stuff I'd really appreciate a heads up one what the results look like and if there are any gotchas to it.
http://compositeenvisions.com/images/Blue%20Fabric.jpg

LeFox
07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
offer both = problem solved :D

Jerry C
11-21-2010, 03:32 AM
Does anyone know how to repair a small crack in carbon fiber? I was plugging my tire when the bike tipped over and hit the tank cover on my X1.

08levin
11-21-2010, 08:26 AM
rndrkeagle: it's been a while, but I made a fairing for a human powered vehicle back in school that was a carbon & kevlar layup, but we just used an outer layer of kevlar for abrasion resistance. inner layer had carbon structure pieces for
rigidity. The yellow kevlar looked goofy, but we were looking for function. our carbon fairings would wear through when we crashed and slid down the road, kevlar got scuffed up, but it took a while to wear through. also super flexible and doesn't crack or shatter like carbon. If they had black kevlar, that would be the way to go for our bodywork since they really dont need the rigid strength. I think it was more expensive though.

Also, don't sand a surface with wax on it until you have cleaned it very well with a wax remover. sanding before cleaning will embed the wax into the surface.

Deon B
01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I had moulds made from my some existing parts and it seems that the guy knew what he was doing because all original parts are still intact with no damage

What we did due to the carbon being quite thin and expensive to have the first layer on the mould with normal fibre glass and the second coat the carbon fibre, this allows for a much stronger item that do not crack that easy.

We sprayed the final product with normal ‘clear lacquer’ to protect the carbon, my parts have been on my bike now for the past 14 months and it is still the same colour as the first day

The manufacturing of a mould of the drive belt guards are quite difficult, we treated the original plastic parts with a special resin [normal resin melt the plastic] and afterwards covered the part with carbon fibre, the parts look great

The process for the ‘true only’ carbon parts is expensive and the parts are thin and break easily, repairs can be done from the inside with normal fibre glass and resin

crxtasy169
01-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Protection for sure CF looks like crap after it has sun faded!

poolguyJ
08-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Anyone still make carbon fiber parts? If so, how do I get them? I have a XB12R.

xtremelow
08-24-2011, 11:15 PM
holy old post batman

Cheap CF on Ebay, High Quality at trojan-horse.co.uk, just a simple Google search of Buell+Carbon Fiber will show many results.

BKKBuell
08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
my bought my carbon at eastcarbon.com... fits fair and looks great, prieces are great as well and the support is good as well... talk to Susan there, she will make u a good priece.

For repair: a had some cracks after I stopped&flipped over a drunken guy... repaired is locally for little money. This guy can cover almost everthing in carbon, anyone interrested PM me I can help to make out of old plastic nice&shine carbon...

gtp3800
08-25-2011, 06:52 AM
this is an old post... but now I want to know what you guys are using to clearcoat and uv protect your carbon.?? I never did that with mine.

ASB.com has alot of carbon and it matches the original buell carbon which I still have on my bike, so when I replaced the airbox I went with them and it looks great.