PDA

View Full Version : Charging circuit

jaytea
06-19-2010, 04:57 AM
Anyone had any problems with the charging circuit? My dealership changed a cable to “stop the alternator frying its self” Although new in Jan this year the bike was manufactured in Jan 09. I never took a lot of notice of the voltage up until now. In the past each time I saw the voltage it was between what I believe to be the correct charging voltage of 13.8 to 14.2 volts. Now the voltage is all over the place. Anywhere between 13.4 and 14.4, on idle it will go down into the 12volt range or stay up at 14.1. To be fair – the battery has not gone flat yet.
What are you guys getting?

EvilRX
06-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I've had alot of problems with the charging system on my xb12 most of it is the connector from the voltage regulator but mine is the point where the wires come out of the VR they are worn and I need a new one

jaytea
06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Took it back to the dealer who tested it and said all was fine. After an hours ride today the voltage dropped twice to below 12 volts and the battery warning light came on....... It's going back again

EvilRX
06-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I think mine needs a new voltage regulator now mine stopped charging then I tapped on the vr and it started charging again. It may just be a broken circuit that vibrates loose or vibrates back they may look at it when it is fine and see no problem, but they may not do a resistance check on it to see if there is a break inside the vr block

jaytea
08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I know this is an old thread – but thought I’d just update it in case anyone else has these problems.
When the upgrade (New wiring harness) is done, an extra pin is inserted into one of the connector. A number of owners have found that the pin has been inserted into the wrong place. Some Techs have been counting the pin numbers from the pin side of the connector not the wire side as it should be. The update sheet is not fool proof.

I took the bike back on a number of occasions only to be told that it is fine (This really pisses me off as I knew it is wrong). Eventually a new stator and rectifier and battery were fitted, The bike was road tested for 45 minutes and declare fine. I rode it 1 mile and returned to tell them that nothing had changed and it was still discharging. The pin was found to be in the wrong place (I found), dealer moved the pin to correct location – still no different. Eventually totally removed upgrade wiring harness and guess what? The bike is fine and has been for the last 1000 miles.

I do not doubt the need for the upgrade – I think the harness was faulty, as I stated straight after the work was done. Moral of the story – Just because you are not a Harley Davidson Mechanic does not mean you do not know when something is wrong – do not let them fob you off because they do not know how to fix it!! [mad]