PDA

View Full Version : Temperature check.

BRatigan
06-19-2010, 05:08 AM
I got around to doing temperature tests on my Uly last night. I went for an hour ride through the winding and twisting hills and roads around Buskirk at around 7:30PM. When I gto back to my garage I tested cylinder head temps and cylinder wall temps and the engine temps for about 5 minutes or until the fan went off. I left the engine running after I parked and got my $34.00 infrared temp gun from Harbor Freight (it works fine and I tested it against machines at work,Off only 1.2 dgrees).

At switch off the cylinders were reading 302 for the rear and 289 for the front. Header temps were 400 degrees and rapidly went down below 200 within 45 seconds (no mass to act like a heat sink).

Cylinders went to 210 in 5 minutes and both evened out at that temp when the fan went off.

Ambient air temp was 75 degrees at the end of the ride and of course all temps are in Fahrenheit.

Just wanted to share this data, got bored.

BR

JOEL9
06-19-2010, 07:44 AM
do you know what the "normal" operating temps. should be?

BRatigan
06-19-2010, 08:23 AM
From what I have read, the fan will come on at 320 degrees F. I believe that would be measured at the top of the head where the sensor would be located. I am pretty sure the temps are within range of normal operating conditions.

BR