PDA

View Full Version : New member of the Buell family here.

awlos
06-20-2010, 05:17 PM
A friend offered me a deal that I could not refuse for his 2008 1125R. I figure I will just use it as a track toy - what areas of this bike need upgrades, changes, areas of concern, etc..?
I have always ridden Yamaha R1's and a Ducati Monster; I have absolutely no clue about Buells. If anyone has any comparisons of these and a 1125 I would love to hear thoughts. I pick it up the first week in July so I figure if anything is a "just do it" or "got to have this" type change I will get it done now.
Looking forward to seeing what this thing is all about.

Stevenc150
06-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the Buell Family and be sure to throw up a couple pics when you get the new toy. :D[up]

kalifornia
06-21-2010, 09:37 PM
make sure the rads are full, and enjoy. get a list of all the recall work done if any, just so you know what you're starting with. have fun man

Abledcool1
06-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the forum!

agfish18
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
welcome to the forum! I have never ridden an R1, but I know the 1125R kicks the ass of the Monster (IMHO). I know it isnt as fast as the R1, but it will keep up. you just have to get used to the torque at the lower RPMs.

hula Buell
06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the crew.I have a 09 12r Firebolt and a 08 Ducati Sport 1000s and the Ducati will blow the doors off the Buell.However the Buell is a super fun bike to ride and most trips are on the Buell.

xtremelow
06-23-2010, 12:06 AM
If the bikes is going to be a track toy, test it as is and you will be suprised.

Otherwise I have heard many will upgrade to the double bubble windscreen for aero reasoning (the 1125R has a aero wall at high speeds, thus the redesign going towards the 1190rr, but this is in the higher 150-160mph speeds).

Otherwise many of the possible upgrades will be dictated based upon your riding abilities and how far you want to go with the entire "Track Toy" title, ie race pipes, slipper clutch, susp., brakes, chain conversion, Carbon Fiber or anything in that manor for lowering the weight.

Might want to check out
www.erikbuellracing.com (http://www.erikbuellracing.com/)

Mike Van V
06-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Depending on what year R1...

I've got an 03, R1 with LOTSA miles on it.
In its current state of elderliness, my 1125CR will keep up at normal street speeds (up to maybe 85/90mph) but even with almost 99,000 miles, it'll still pull away from my 1125 at higher rpm/speeds.

Now that said...the R1 can't keep up in tight twisties...it just doesn't turn as quickly/easilly, no matter what the speed is.

One thing to remember...you might think of redoing the seat. The seats were designed by a female...that is, their anatomy is different where it contacts the seat...if you understand correctly.
I took my CR's seat (same as the "R") to an auto upholster and had them shave the front of the padding so it is now the same thickness from rear to front. This made a HUGE difference in comfort (room for the male parts!).

The steering is a little different also. Going from the R1 to the 1125 (or the XB styles), you'll think the 1125 is a bit twitchy. Going from the 1125 to the R1...the R1 will feel heavy.

I'm not putting my R1 to pasture just yet, I want to get the odometer over 100,000 miles so I split my time between my CR, my XB12S and my R1.
All great fun in their own way.

Have fun with your new toy.

Mike

P.s. - MOST...1125's have fueling and ignition timing issues. There is currently a few ways to fix this problem. Just do some internet hunting on the subject.

awlos
06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I am going to NY (Buffalo) to pick the bike up and then riding back to Chicago so I really hope this is comfortable. I will post pics when I can.

RT Performance
06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Slip on exhaust matched ebr ECM kn strip the noid and toss it ways about 5 pounds damper I have the grp.
The barker or keda exhaust keep it under the bike I would not recommend the d&d or jardine since they are mounted under the rear brake master

redliner172
06-29-2010, 05:51 PM
The jardine, although not an underslung exhaust, doesnt blow out onto the rear brake. Don't know if thats what you are implying RT...just sayin. BUT RT is right: de-noid, hi flow filter, slip on, ecm, and GPR are a great start. GPRV4 FTW!!!!!!

awlos
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Friend selling me the bike just let me know he has an exhaust system that he is giving me -- D&D. He said that I can have damn thing & that it was the loudest most obnoxious pipe hes ever put on a bike.

awlos
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/7237_20100712103100_L.jpg

Here she is. Just got back from the Adirondak Mtns - Mtns were fun, highway for 3 hours not so much.
So far I love it, great power and pretty amazing handling. I'll post a couple more when I get back to Chicago.