PDA

View Full Version : Chicgo to miami trip 2010 xb12x

Stillonit
06-24-2010, 10:58 AM
put on over 800 miles the first day, average speed 75mph by the gps speedometer about 80, hot hot hot.oil consumption low. maybe 5 oz after 1400 miles .Florida was smoking hot on the turnpike.got backed up in the toll booth... no problems but when I was leaving the toll booth i had some large metallic raps .... like it was ready to throw a push rod or a lifter was coming apart. it was 106 outside I thought oh oh looks like i am going to be walking... but it kept running.....I think it was some serous pinging going on.I notice some small pinging from hard accelerating now that it didn't have before.But has been running and starting fine.I may check the primary chain adjustment before I start back to Chicago.so far so good!!!!!

MAGIC
06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Man you got some balls and iron butt. I was thinking about a trip from Chitown to Florida but I don't think my butt could take it. Wish you luck and be safe out there. Hope you are taking some pictures so you can post them up.

beaterbaja
06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Hell yeah man! Hope ya have a safe trip too, take lots of pictures!

Stillonit
06-24-2010, 01:07 PM
yeah 800 was tough for me .I wish My butt would turn to Iron, That would be nice. this skin and bone just don't make the grade for comfort, And that is with a saddleman gel pad(extra large):p mileage at that speed is 50 mpg with a full back pack.throttle index finger went numb for like 3 days and twisting motion was weak when twisting a doorknob.....

GatorBuell
06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Awesome, got to love the Florida heat,haha. The key is to just keep moving. Im in central Florida if you break and need help.

Stillonit
06-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I went to visit friends and when I got there I found out the apartment complex doesn't allow motorcycles[confused]luckily she was on the ground floor. so the cycle got a nice air condition rest in the dining room,,,,hey it is nice to eat with your motorcycle[up]

Stillonit
06-24-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks gator ! it's the first time I was cooler in a helmet than without .at least the sweat gets wicked away. Better than running down your face ...all that foam in the helmet is like wearing a cooler on your head LOL:D

Stillonit
06-24-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6184_20100624094814_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6184_20100624094640_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6184_20100624094438_L.jpg
a few pictures

redrider
06-24-2010, 06:48 PM
hope all goes well with the trip home be safe and hit me up when your up for a ride around fox valley area redrider

Stillonit
06-28-2010, 07:14 PM
I got home on Saturday about 1:00 am.only added oil one time during the trip . total miles about 3200. high and low speed ( mostly high about 3800/4000rpm for long hours in very hot weather. the can sounds louder now. I can almost hear the dif of the sound when the can valve opens up. The motor feels looser in a good way. all in all it go me there and back. and believe me we got stuck in some massive rain pours and it never missed a beat.and I didn't stop. tires gripped well at high speed in the rain but I drove sane and did not test the limit of adhesion of my tires in wet roads. 13 14 hour runs can be grueling and I can say that I wouldn't want to do it again. but I wouldn't never ever give that memory up. I drove to California in 1978on a new kaw 650 4 banger when I turned 18 and now finish to the east coast. on a 2010 buell

Thorivola
06-28-2010, 08:08 PM
if there is a pinging sound and it's coming from up high, you may have lost a piston skirt

if there is an audible engine noise, take the bike in for warranty and get it fixed now

if there is any kind of rapid noise in these things you're going to have problems, I know from far to much personal experience...on my 3rd bottom end now

primary chain doesn't make a pinging noise, it makes a scraping or slap-slide noise

they always run best just before they die, my last crank gave me insane spin-up just after the connecting rod bearings started to melt themselves

12rdan
06-28-2010, 08:52 PM
IMO anybody taking on a ride like that deserves some rep points.[up]

hula Buell
06-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Good man!! post pics please:D

Stillonit
06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
took a ride today. no unusual engine noise on start up or while hot rodding around. for all I know the bad noise I thought that was coming from the bike was coming from somewhere else.I was about half baked from the sun at that point and the 4 or 5 pings i hear occasionally on hard accel may be common.let see on my last day I rode from Tifton, GA to Carpentersville.IL in miles that is ....Holy sh-- LOL thats 936 miles!!!!! a new personal best.I don't have a lot of the bike and places together but I will post some of what I have. the pictures before is at a power station rest area in the everglades. yes there are alligators in there one 3or 4 foot long not fifty yards from from where that picture was taken...

MAGIC
06-29-2010, 06:24 PM
WOW I'm impressed. Post more pictures from the road please. Would like to meet you for a ride some time. Maybe not like 1000 miles in one day... a bit shorter one. I'm in Chicago IL.