PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple 20W-50 and K&N oil filter??

NashXb12R
06-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I own a 2004 Buell Firebolt Xb12R with 8,400 miles on it, it has the race Ecm, exhaust and intake and I'm just wondering if putting Royal purple syntheic 20W-50 and a K&N oil filer Is a good idea or is there a better oil than that I should use, or just stick with the Screamin Eagle syntheic 20W-50 that they sell at the Harley store?

firebolt020283
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
A lot of people swear by Amsoil, others swear by the vtwin mobile 1 and then still others swear by the royal purple. So I would say one of those 3 should be good. I personally now use amsoil but used to use the mobile 1 and I would have to say I like the amsoil better.

theoctopus
06-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I used to use RP, and switched back to Amsoil recently. I prefer Amsoil as well.

Miami78
06-25-2010, 09:57 AM
What in particular makes you guys prefer amsoil? I'm due for my 5k service, switched to synth at 1k but HD used whatever synthetic they used so I'm curious of the benefits of a different type of oil.

NashXb12R
06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Dam already bought RP I'll try it and then at 10,000 miles I'll go Amsoil thanks guys, oh and while we are on the mileage topic how often should I change the oil how's many miles between changes??

boreas
06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3339_20100305093417_L.jpg

I use both, I cannot tell the difference ,just color of the oil ,this is only my opinion, stick with what you like, or what is easiest to purchase

Miami78
06-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Also what is the concensus on the k&n oil filter, better than the stock one HD uses or not much difference? The temps here are starting to get pretty high (105 today, 115's next month), I'm willing to try anything I can to help keep things cool!

firebolt020283
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I think my bike runs cooler with amsoil than mobile 1 but I cannot confirm it for sure.

As far as kn oilfilters I have never used one nor do I no much about them. I know I used to use fram but I have been told by many people to stop using them so I have since switched to wix.

Ronin1
06-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I use the K&N oil filter as it has a nut on the bottom and it can be safety wired. I just like them.

Jim

Miami78
06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Not really understanding how amsoil is sold, their website just lists a bunch of individuals, not stores. Guess I'm going to see if I can do royal purple since that is available at most of the auto parts stores around here.

Will HD knock the cost of oil off the 5k service price if I bring my own in? Or will they insist on using their own brand?

vroom
06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
They were ok with me bringing my own oil. They didn't charge me for oil.
Might depend on your dealer.

Miami78
06-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Cool, good to hear...I'll give them a call and check.

firebolt020283
06-25-2010, 02:01 PM
most of the motorcycle shops here carry amsoil to include the harley shop.

NashXb12R
06-25-2010, 02:16 PM
What store carries those oils in those pics pep boys laughed at ne when I asked they just have regular high performance RP oil not the motorcycle ****?

Miami78
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
The auto places I looked at (autozone, etc.) for royal purple had car versions of it, I had to call a bike shop to get the cycle-max flavor.

NashXb12R
06-26-2010, 07:36 AM
I looked at every motorcycle shop in Albany ny and NOBODY has the Amsoil 20w-50 and the Rp 20w-50 for the motorcycle can I use the regular RP sae 20W-50? Or does it have to be the max cycle?

Miami78
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Rode about 60 miles in 111 degree heat this afternoon after getting my bike...at the end of the ride the fan might have ran just a tad shorter, but not by much (ran for 30-60 seconds after shut down). My balls did feel cooler during the ride though, so I think there was a little benefit from trying the royal purple.

On a side note...forgot to tell them not to change my plugs with the 5k service since I had just put ngk iridiums in less than 1k miles ago...now I have the damn HD plugs in there again...[mad]

Miami78
06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Nash - I'd say to go with the max cycle just to make sure you are getting the greatest benefit for your bike. Amazon has it the cheapest but you have to buy a case. If you search it on eBay you can get 4-6 quarts at a time still at a decent price.

kbfnail
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Royal purple it is then.

snrusnak
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I've run royal purple and recently switched to amsoil. I notice no difference. I switched to amsoil because it's about hlf the price for me. I'm using a WIX filter, I used a NAPA filter before(which is identical to the WIX).

RP, Mobil, Amsoil, and maybe even HD synthetic are all probably about equal in every way. Just go with what's cheaper/easier, you won't notice any difference.

kbaddict
04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
10,000 miles? Does anybody else go this long? I change mine around every 3,000 miles and I always do both holes to save any confusion.

Mobil 1 in both

snrusnak
04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
You can also order any oil online and have it shipped to your door through various sites.

IIRC there was a guy on here selling amsoil products since he was a dealer. Could go through him.

Also, I am an amsoil dealer and if anyone is stuck and can't get oil I might be willing to get them the amsoil. I just don't want to step on the other member's toes since he's already providing the service for the forum.

snrusnak
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
10,000 miles? Does anybody else go this long? I change mine around every 3,000 miles and I always do both holes to save any confusion.

Yeah I do about every 3k miles. These bikes run HOT, require more frequent changes.

noone1569
04-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I do agree that RP and AMSOIL are very similar synthetics, but Mobil and HD are not in the same category. There's gobs and gobs of info on this to read at bobtheoilguy forums. Harly Syn is made by Citgo (Hugo Chavez).

snrusnak
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Well I used to use mobil 1 a lot in my autos and it did great. Now using amsoil and it seems the same.

KJUtah
04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Why does it say in the shop manual:
"use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable
diesel engine oil designations include CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and
CI4. The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils, in
descending order, are 20W-50, 15W-40 and 10W-40."
When I ask in the local motorcycle parts/accessories shop (as well as anyone else)they say they never heard of this.
I have been buying either "Harley Doesn't Care For Buells"oops... I mean Davidson or Spectro HD V twin which has the correct API codes.
Education would be appreciated:~)

Thanks to all in advance.

By the way I have an '03 XB9R. I don't want to take any chances as I only use this bike on the track. 5,200 total miles with more than half on the track. Have owned since new, regular meticulous maintenance.[confused]

FIDOSOL
04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
I run this combination and couldn't be happier. A couple of additional things you can do to help keep the heat down on your bike is to wrap your headers, and don't let your bike get too low on fuel. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, so as the fuel gets really low the fuel pump temperature starts to climb substantially. Also, right side air scoop if you're on a lightning.

fakameanrepresent
04-18-2012, 02:41 AM
I last changed oil on my buell in September, its been like 7 months, I need to change my oil this week lol.

GAXB9R
04-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Amazing how a conversation is on hold for two years and it can pick right back up[up]

Hooker
04-28-2012, 09:13 AM
if you want an AWESOME HD oil that professionals use and i have recently switched to, get some Torco 20W-50. i do not believe that it is synthetic, but it is however, a special chemical formula much like that of synthetic. it made my blast soooo much quieter than the mobil synthetic and i plan on using it in my XB9 when i have to change the oil. my parts guy (Jay @ pro-sno in Elburn Illinois) gets it for like 6$ a quart and he uses it in all his race sleds and bikes.

nativeXb12Rbuell
04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I like royal purple and the K&N air & oil Filters(I currently run them in all my vehicles) I have amsoil in my SVT Cobra's transmission now also.

But, I have recently switched to AMSOIL in my BUELL.
for several different reasons. some being , #1 I was able to find a local bike shop that Keeps amsoil ( of all different weights) IN STOCK ALL THE TIME!! & at a good price .. all the shops around here stopped stocking royal purple MaxCycle motorcycle oil.
#2 wanted to see how well it compared to royal purple and to see if it would quite down the noise some. and AMSOIL supports EBR racing Teams also.

nativeXb12Rbuell
04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Why does it say in the shop manual:
"use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable
diesel engine oil designations include CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and
CI4. The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils, in
descending order, are 20W-50, 15W-40 and 10W-40."

Look above that in the manual...... It says..
use the proper grade of oil for the lowest temperature expected before the next oil change.

If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is not available use an oil certified for diesel engines. ( then at the bottom it will also state )also says at first opportunity See a Harley-Davidson dealer to change back to 100% Harley Davidson oil. In other words its meaning that in case an emergency and you don't have your regular motorcycle oil that you use Weather it be Harley-Davidson oil Royalpurple Amsoil Lucas or whatever oil that you use you can use oil certified for diesels being that It is certified for with one of the designated codes that you stated above. that you can use those for an emergency but then at the nearest possible time change back to hundred percent of whatever oil that you use of motorcycle oil.

also that there is a few that use diesel oil regualy because motorcycle oil is not available without an extreme price in some parts of the world and a few that actually prefer it too.

mmcn49
04-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I Like Red Line V-Twin 20-50 and believe it superior. That is what I believe, but I know that ester based synthetics like RL and RP are superior to non ester based synthetics like Syn-3 and Mobil-1.

Don’t know for sure but I don’t believe that Amsoil is ester based.

TooFst
04-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I should just keep this on cut-and-paste... 26k on my 04 xb12s and have always used harley oil.... Just put royal purple in both holes and I would never in 100 years would have believed my bike can shift this well.... HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone!!!

soldierforlife74
04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I am a bit shocked that nobody has mentioned the best oil of all!!! I have been using Brad Penn oils for my v-twins for some time now and have been very pleased with them!!! I have done several tear downs on engines with various oils, and the engines that run Brad Penn oil are always in the best condition. Now, here is the downside..... It is not at every shop!!! As a matter of fact, it can be difficult to find! I was driving nearly an hour away from home to get a case at a time! Lucky for me, I found a muscle car shop in my hometown that uses it exclusively for their street machines as well, and they gladly started ordering the motorcycle blend for me. Look around and see if you can find it, it is SOOOO worth it!

http://www.penngrade1.com/Products/Motor-Oils/SAE-20W50.aspx

http://www.deerfieldmachine.com/store.asp?pid=35541

http://burkepetroleum.com/brad-penn-v2-4-stroke-20w-50-motorcycle-oil.htm

TooFst
05-14-2012, 02:27 PM
So I have used HD/ Screeming eagle full syn. for 7-8 years. (since bike was new). My cousin said one day a HD engineer designed the motor. Same guy helped develop the oil. Makes sense right. Well I'm sick of going way out of my way to the dealer every time I need a third of a quart ya know... So I just switched to RP(both holes) and holy ****. My bike has never shifted this well. I'm talking like not even close, brand new leaving the dealership. Im sold. Going to start using it in everything I own. Except my pickup w/ 240k on it. It's only had shell/ rotella since about 110k and I'm not changing that up now.

lShAD0w
05-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Just wondering about the amsoil oil filters does anyone use them if so part#

noone1569
05-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Just wondering about the amsoil oil filters does anyone use them if so part#

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=51394-EA

I could get you about 20% off that price

lShAD0w
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Awesome I also need a gallon of amsoil 20w-50