PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Header turned red and clutch line melted!

Gixxer
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Why in the hell would this happen and how can I fix it? I have had this brand new firebolt xb12 for 5 days!!!

Phrogg
01-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Your header seriously turned red? wow.....

You should have no worries as this should be covered by the warrenty. This is something that just shouldn't happen. People on here have put thousands of miles on their bikes and I don't think I have ever heard of this personally. I would go straight to the dealer and have them fix it. Don't take no for an answer.

badbandit12
01-27-2008, 03:16 AM
i would take it back monday!!!! and get a new bike that one sounds like a friday bike!!

BuellPartsGuy
01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
All the 2008 Buells that have left here have done that. Even some of the Harleys do it. It goes away after break in period. Bike run very hot during break in due to everything wearing in and the tolerances being so close when being so new. It did it a couple times with my 03 XB9R but my cable didnt melt. What we have been doing here is re-flashing the ECM, replacing the clip that holds the cable away from the header that have all been breaking and after break in they dont seem to get as hot. No worries. There should be a recall on the clutch cable clamp here soon. They are all doing it.

maybebuell
01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
its doing it because the motor is not designed to run so..lean and hot for epa....that kind of heat cant be good for breaking in a motor

BuellPartsGuy
01-27-2008, 05:21 PM
We have contacted Buell and they said they are in the process of taking care of the problem. My guess is they will have an update MAP coming out for us to use to download for problem bikes. I will keep you guys updated if anything goes down.

Gixxer
01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys. We ended up bending the bracket out to hold it away from the header. No more melting or the header turning red. I'm going to have the dealer replace the bracket and the clutch line on monday.

Thaloc
06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Same thing happened to me this week, bracket broke, jerry rigged to till new one gets in. started my 08 firebolt this morning to warm up before I went to work and came out and the top of my headers were red hot. even tho my clutch cable was a good inch away i couldnt smell melted plastic but not smoke so... Man im hoping everything smooths out this is my first buell and these little problems are not giving me a great first impression. But lets just say the ride makes up for it

LeFox
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
this must be a u.s. problem.

in euro-land we have different headers...Jakkel (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Users-Bikes/Buell-XB12Ss-2008-arrived) has a '08 xb12ss and his headers have a minor discoloration, almost not noticable.

the revised clip is also standard on the '08 if i'm not mistaking. :o

Thaloc
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
my headers are turning very blue at the top. 1300 miles on it stock. Have my jardine ordered next week.

mrdozer2you
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
my headers are turning very blue at the top.

The blue is normal.....red, thats pretty hot.

Thaloc
06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Ya, when I get home today ill take and post a few pics. I almost **** when I seen it, thought I might and burned another plug but everything runs and sounds fine.

burnteyes
06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
my headers are extremely blue near the top but havent seen red.