PDA

View Full Version : New owners - Questions

Yan
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi, just picked up an '08 Ulysses this morning and drove it home for 8 hours. The most powerful bike I had ridden until today is my KLR650, so the amount of power available with Ulysses is overwhelming.

A few quick questions:

When I turn the engine off a fan kicks in, seems like first it works and high speed (for a second or two), then switches to lower speed and stays on for a couple of minutes. Is that normal or I should be concerned?

The previous owner rewired the headlights so that when the high beam is on both headlights (the low and the high beams) are working, is that OK or it may put too much strain on the alternator?

The owner's manual that came with the bike doesn't seem to cover things like wheel removal and spark plugs changing - does a 'shop manual' exist for Ulysses (either by H-D or an aftermarket)?

Are accessories for Ulysses still available from Buell - I am interested specifically in a tank bag. If not are there any aftermarket ones that fit nicely?

The toolbox that I found under the seat has a mixture of metric and US wrenches - is that the way it's supposed to be? I have a Canadian sold bike if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

kalifornia
06-27-2010, 05:20 PM
fan is normal, headlights should be fine as is, an 05 manual can be downloaded at the top of this homepage, it will cover the basics. the bike has metric and imperial fasteners. dont know about tank bags. enjoy your new bike.

Yan
06-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks!

Is it safe for the engine to cruise at around 2,500 rpm?

what is the max output of the alternator (couldn't find that in the User manual)?

Thanks again!

TooFst
06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I like it!!! Very efficiant Kalifornia

dallasb
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Yan also check with Dave's DIY video thread. He has vid's up for spark plug and oil changes and I believe he will be adding more in the future. If you plan on doing ANY work on your bike...buy the shop manual (not the owners manual). Yes it will run you about $60 but thats less than one hour labor at the stealership. O and congrats on the new bike :)

agfish18
06-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Is it safe for the engine to cruise at around 2,500 rpm

I suppose it is safe. I typically cruised around 3.2-3.5K RPM on my old XB. now I cruise about 4500-5K RPM on my 1125R. Just ask yourself if you have enough acceleration at 2.5K to get you out of trouble if you find yourself in it. does the bike seem bogged down? if it does, you might consider getting kicking the gear down one.

Yan
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Shop (Service) Manual - where can I get one from?

Another thing - the clutch cable completely obstructs the odometer window - anyone else has the same problem?

Thanks!

dallasb
06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
You can get one here (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/9092.html) or here (http://www.buellparts.net/content-product_info/product_id-2333/buell_2008_ulysses_service_manual.html). Also if there is a friendly dealer close by check with them as well. O and no I don't have a problem with my clutch cable in the way...may want to check to see if a bracket has came off. On the clutch cable...the first thing you should do is put a hose clamp around the top piece of the banjo looking boot. It will help keep water out of your primary.

hula Buell
06-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Great bike!! enjoy the forum it's great

Yan
06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
On the clutch cable...the first thing you should do is put a hose clamp around the top piece of the banjo looking boot. It will help keep water out of your primary
looked at the cable but couldn't quite understand what you meant by the banjo looking boot. you wouldn't have a picture of it by any chance, would you?

stang65pony
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
i too am curious of this banjo boot. and my clutch cable obstucts my line of site to the guage aswell. i have an 09 xb12ss if it matters

bguinn
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
He is referring to the rubber boot over the clutch cable adjustment.

I think he got his instruments mixed up. Its not a banjo but an accordion.

People have been known to get water in the primary from water seeping in around this rubber boot.

AdventureUly
07-07-2010, 04:21 AM
I had the same problem with the cable covering the clock (I could see everything else) so I put a velcro cable tidy round the cable and the brace of the handle bar. Don't do it to tight, just enough so you can see.

I have not had any problems since.

I also did the cable tie on the accordian boot (this is at the engine end of the cable).

Well done on a great choice of bike.[up]