PDA

View Full Version : American sportbike right side air scoop

slwglide
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Has anyone else purchased the rightside air scoop from American Sportbike? I'm just wondering what you thought about this part.

buellxb
01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
I heard it was pretty cool. I've also heard that it virtually eliminates the need for your Buell to activate that loud, annoying fan. [up]

Pete Sillem
01-31-2008, 05:55 AM
What's involved in fitting it?

slwglide
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
As far as fitting, it looks like it bolts right on.

I guess I will have to try it. I was curious because I just read an artical in the back of fuell that said it's not only a waste of time but the fuel bar will not cool with the scoop on. Now everything else I have read says it works. Maybe someone who has one can give us a rating.

dans03firebolt
02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I have heard nothing but great reviews about the right side scoop. I will more than likely be putting one on my bike if I find the fan turns on a lot during the summer months. The fan can't be that loud.

jackson08
02-01-2008, 02:47 PM
loud yes, i tell everyone its the turbo :D

thruster
02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
A few days ago, I asked Al (proprietor of AmericanSportBike.com) some questions about his scoop, and here are his answers:

1. Would your 9160 scoop REALLY fit my 08 Uly? I understand there was a change in the stock headers in 08 that made some other scoops unsuitable.

Not true, the headers in 08 have the same part number as previous years for all but the European models. No fitment issues.

2. Is the carbon version UV-protected against discoloration?

It won't discolor, but ALL CF is somewhat UV sensitive. We do Not clear coat our CF, that has a bunch of other issues with it. We recommend keeping it well waxed and use protect-all between waxings for UV protection.

3. What is the color and finish of the 9160F fiberglass version? Do you have a photo of a fiberglass part on your web site, as an example?

4. Can the fiberglass version be used as-is, or does it require paint or other protection? If I have to paint it, what kind of paint would you recommend?

It is shiny black as new, most folks paint it with BBQ type paint to give it a similar appearance to the IM part on the other side.

5. Is the carbon scoop more durable than the fiberglass one, since it's right next to the hot header?

No, similar durability.

6. How is the scoop mounted exactly? Are any frame or body modifications required? Is there any risk of voiding any warranties with this mod?

Just like the stock scoop, three screws. No mods. I can't imagine it would void a warranty.

7. What maintenance is required for the carbon scoop finish? Would the fiberglass one need less maintenance (if left unpainted)?

I doubt you'd leave it unpainted. The CF one should be kept waxed.

8. My bike has all stock body parts, with blue flyscreen and airbox cover. In your opinion, would the carbon scoop look nice, or would I be better off getting the fiberglass one and using it as-is or painting it?

If I had no other CF, I'd go fiberglass.

9. Should I prep the scoop with fine sandpaper so the BBQ paint sticks better, with less chance of chipping/flaking?

I would break the mold gloss with a quick 400 grit wet sand, then hit it with a primer coat followed by the BBQ paint.

thruster
02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Al also emailed me photos, one of the unpainted fiberglass scoop, one of it painted. I don't know how to upload pics here, so just ask Al if you're really interested. Maybe ask him about the fuel bar cooling issue, too.

dans03firebolt
02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
That is good stuff right there. Thanks for the write up from AS.

slwglide
02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I have the fiberglass scoop. I will paint it BQ black. thanks for the info Thruster and ASB.

whitezombiebueller
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Posted: 01 Feb 2008 20:14

Currently Online Posts: 27
I just read on here that the 08 header on the xb12r is the same as the 07 can you check the part numbers for me.I want to get the right side air scope...Thank you for your time...
Posted: 01 Feb 2008 21:11

Currently Offline Posts: 865
07 XB12R Header P/N - S0101.02A8A

08 XB12R Header P/N - S0101.1AAA

Sorry man, they are different. I believe the front cylinder pipe curves upward more to interfere with a right side air scoop.
Posted: 01 Feb 2008 21:29 [ Edit ]

Currently Online Posts: 27
Thats what i thought but there is a post floatin around and they said that its only the European bikes that have the higher pipe.The sales person that sold me my bike told me it was a hole new design.I was just checkin the truth...Thank you.

BuellPartsGuy
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
'07 header pipes are different from '08 header pipes. The '08's front cylinder curves upward more to chnage the fitment of the right side air scoops.

thruster
02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
OK, thanks BPG, I pasted your note with the part numbers from the other thread in an email to Al. If he has an 08 Uly and has affixed the scoop onto it properly, I'm sure he'll say so. In the meantime, I guess holding off on ASB scoop orders would be prudent.

whitezombiebueller
02-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Just thought you guys would want to see that...

thruster
02-01-2008, 09:16 PM
OK, I just hear back from Al at AmericanSportBike.com . I'm all set with the scoop order for my 08 Uly, but I can't speak for anyone else, so if you have any further questions about the scoop or any of Al's products, I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out, just give him a call or send him an email.

LeFox
02-01-2008, 09:24 PM
yep, the '08 headers are different for us euro peeps, don't know how it is for u.s. people.

we are making another for the '08, which, on the positive side, will also fit on a micron system.

more info (http://www.devilstars.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299)