PDA

View Full Version : Breaking In Period

splash
02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi,
Although I was asked not to go over 2000-2500 rpm durong the brak in period tha bike at such low rpm seems to be suffering.
do you guys think taking it to 3000-3500 rpm would hurt?
cant wait to break her in so I can open her up.

BuellPartsGuy
02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
If you read you owners manual, you would know thats a load of bull****.

Here is direct from the owners manual, and I quote....

"To allow the engine to wear in its critical parts, we recommend that you observe the riding rules provided below for the first 500 miles. Adhering to these suggestions will help to assure good future durability and performance.

1. During the first 50 miles of riding, keep the engine speed below 4000 RPM in any gear. Do not lug the engine by running or accelerating at very low RPM, or by running at high RPM longer than needed for shifting or passing.

2. Up to 500 miles, vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods. Engine speed up to 5000 RPM in any gear is permissable.

3. Drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle until engine has warmed up.

4. Avoid lugging the engine by not running the engine at very low speeds in higher gears."

If you actually read your owners manuals guys, you would be surprised how much info is in there. Hell, you will even get a laugh at a few things in there.

splash
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
[up]
thats all?
after that no prob?

dans03firebolt
02-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Exactly just follow what it says and then at 500 miles you need to change your oil and filter. Then you will be good to beat on it.

kelsxb9r
02-05-2008, 04:27 AM
I just bought my XB9R 10 days ago and my salesman told me that same crap. So I rode it home following that information. It was painful for me and the bike and since it wasn't my first or third bike for that matter, I immediately read the manual when I got home. Don't listen to the stuff people say without verifying for yourself. That could have possibly damaged your bike and when you took it in to be fixed they would have said that you didn't follow the guidance in the owner's manual. Enjoy your ride dude. [cool]

splash
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
riding it know berween 3 an 4 thousand rpm.
the bike humms.
great ride

thruster
02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
If you ride in the rain, pack some grease in the corrugated rubber sheath around the clutch cable hose and secure a zip tie around the top of that rubber piece. I collected some water in the clutch via that route, commuting on my 08 Uly in the rain, as the dealer's service staff found at my 1K breakin service.

Also, bang on your wheels with a fist sideways every once in a while, checking for knocking sounds. My rear axle and bearings were just replaced (under warranty), after only 4k mi of very conservative riding (just bad weather) and no history of any incidents.