PDA

View Full Version : handlebars weights - the heavier the better?

atir
07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
finally I have found handlebars weights that allow keeping my hand-guards;
it is the third item on this page:
palmer-handlebars weights (http://palmerproducts.auto.officelive.com/XBSTT.aspx)

They have two types:
Aluminium 12.3 oz/350g
Stainless steel 24.6 oz/700g

can anybody recommend which ones and why? Thanks, I never had handlebars weights so I really don't know what is better.

anrkizm95
07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
i like my 600g they take away alot of the vibration.

upthemaiden
07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Do you ever get vibrations through your bars? The benefit to heavier bar ends is cutting down on vibrations, but if they're not a problem, I'd just buy whatever is cheaper.

Baal
07-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Do you ever get vibrations through your bars?
On a Buell? Is this a trick question? [smirk]

Seriously though, to answer the question, unless you're talking about saving weight on a race bike, heavier is going to damp more vibes. So, even if you're unaware of the vibes, you'd probably notice the difference, at least at the end of a ride. So, unless there's a huge price diff, go hefty.

Oh, I got to thinking about it, and stainless should retain its appearance better, unless the aluminum is clear anodized.

atir
07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
thanks guys, no I am definitely not doing a race bike:)

Of course I do feel vibes but they do not really bother me. What I hope to obtain is clearer picture in my rear view mirrors.

So I will probably go with steel for 73eur (aluminium are 58eur).

BuddhaBuell
07-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I have heard of guys using a product called 'barsnake'
or 'liquid barsnake'
sounds like something I would not mind trying
[smirk]

DrogeN Omen
07-05-2010, 01:35 PM
i need a set of these. on long rides i get tingling feeling on my hands and feels like pins and needles in my hands when i get off the bike...

upthemaiden
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I was always curious before I got my bike considering they're known to shake, and they don't even come with bar ends, but I was decently surprised when I got mine. I'm sure the bars vibrate but not enough for me to even notice, and of all the bikes I've had the mirrors on this one are by far the most useful stock mirrors I've used. They shake at idle but once I get moving they usually stay perfectly clear at any rpm.

stang65pony
07-05-2010, 03:58 PM
my hands go numb incredibly easy and riding my buell doesnt help any. i have been wanting a solution also. i have heard of people filling there bars with sand, to filling them with expanda foam "great stuff" kind. this obviously seems like the cleaner approach. i intend to get bar end mirrors though, will this effect me being able to use bar end mirrors?

anrkizm95
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
they make bar mirrors that will clamp around them.or check out the oberon bar end mirrors

STL XB12Ss
07-07-2010, 10:57 PM
or check out the oberon bar end mirrors

I second this. I have the Oberon Streetfighter bar end mirrors, and the actual bar end where it mounts is super high quality. I'm not sure if this is exact, but a site I was looking at said they were 156 grams (5.5oz). I love 'em and everyone that checks them out thinks the same. Granted it's not the 350g or 700g, but I definitely DID notice a substantial difference in vibration simply by installing these.

iRide
07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
I also have the Oberon bar-end mirrors. They are very high quality. I bought them here in AZ> http://www.whaccessories.com/Wild%20Hair%20Main.htm