PDA

View Full Version : differences between 07 & 08 Lightnings ?

kkjc63
07-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Just bought a 2007 xb12stt and was wondering what the differences between the 07 model and the 08 model were?

Thorivola
07-04-2010, 07:17 PM
08 got the updated crank pin, so 08 and later are running a 1.5 inch crank pin instead of the 1.25 inch crank pin present in all previous Buell motorcycles under H-D production

the 1.25 crank pin is known to die and fail much faster than the 1.5 inch

the 07 models were the first with the updated cam gear chamber and redone oil channels if I remember correctly, if you have the larger more trapazoidal cover on the right-hand side with the larger Buell cover deal you have the upgraded oil piping

the oil piping is a minor thing, and it rarely makes any difference and longevity isn't much different either

vroom
01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
As far as I know, the 08 12's also have an increased redline(6800-7100). The 08's come with frame pucks stock.

WALLSXB
01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I've been told the 07 TT had a slightly higher suspension than the 08 TT but all the specs I find for both years indicate the same numbers . I've never had my 08 next to an 07 for comparison .

xtremelow
01-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Knowledge comes from the wood works +1 [up] for you all

Stevenc150
01-04-2011, 10:12 AM
2008 Lightning Upgrades not counting cosmetics

New Timing System-
Timing cover is eliminated, as the engine is now crank timed from a new crank position sensor, which eliminates the need for manual timing, reducing maintenance costs. The ECM actively monitors and adjusts timing based on driving environment. The new sensor makes 30 reads per revolution, compared to the previous two reads per revolution, for more precise control of fuel mapping and timing to conditions.

More Robust Crankpins-
The size of the crankpins is increased to 1.50 inches from 1.25 inches.

Oiling System Upgraded-
A higher-output oil pump supports oiling to the new crankpin area. The new pump is driven off of the crank, a design based on the Buell XBRR production racing motorcycle. A new eight-row oil cooler offers enhanced cooling performance. All oil line ends are now equipped with Jiffy-tite fittings.

New DDFI 3 ECM (Engine Control Module)-
A new ECM with increased computing capacity. DDFI 3 actively controls and monitors the TPS (throttle position sensor), IAC (idle air control), and timing. DDFI 3 automatically zeros the TPS and adjusts fuel metering for smoother idle, eliminating service intervals and reducing the cost of ownership. A new progressive throttle cam and new throttle cables provide smoother throttle input from stops, and less rotation to full throttle.

New Pre-Wired for Accessory Heated Grips-