PDA

View Full Version : what should i know about buying a blast?

stang65pony
07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
my wife decided to get her riding permit and is now looking for a beginner bike. we went and checked out a 2001 blast with 6300 miles. it looked pretty clean and i can probably get it for 1300 bux or so. i know little about the blasts and was hoping some of you could tell me what to look for and look out for. its a toss up between a blast and a ninja 250. thanks for any and all input

ezblast
07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Risky - I would buy 2003 and up. You'll have to replace the rocker cover gasket.
EZ

RT Performance
07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
1300 is a great price bought one tonight.
We were torn between a Ninja 250 aswell.
It came down to 2 things
Drop a ninja and fairing is done.
A blast is highwayable. Was quite comfortable riding 80 the 5o miles home.
Check belt tire brake pads

xtremelow
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Plan on upgrading in the near future, so buy as cheap as possible. Blasts are basically a bike that you will most likely have for one or two seasons and then sell.

My fiance loves her xb9s (it was her starter bike) and as many will say a Blast is a beginner bike and that is what it is built for. Personally I would never invest in a Blast unless you knew you were going to get a couple years of use out of it and then already had it lined up for someone else to use or buy.

My $0.02 [smirk]

IRULE
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Buy the ninja. My wife had one and it was a 'blast'!

get it? "A blast"...a buell blast! ha ha

why am I laughing by myself?:D

stang65pony
07-07-2010, 04:16 AM
well were going to go look at the ninja tonite. both bikes are the same price. the blast is an 01' and the ninja is an 06. around the same mileage too 6500. she likes the look of the ninja and we both know either way she is going to drop it. the blast kinda shook and stuff like my xb12 a lil. vibration wise anyways. we'll see what i think after i ride this 250 whip

Alfatango1
07-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Ninja's handle pretty nice, Blast is pretty crude but still fun. Controls like clutch and breaks are butter on the Ninja for sure.

stang65pony
07-07-2010, 03:08 PM
well it looks like the ninja may be the best thing for her then. maybe one day i can upgrade her to an xb9.

delta one
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
the ninja has a taller stand over if that is an issue but from what I have heard both bikes are virtually bulletproof.

kkjc63
07-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Be afraid, be very very afraid!

Alfatango1
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Personally I would never invest in a Blast unless you knew you were going to get a couple years of use out of it and then already had it lined up for someone else to use or buy.

If the price is right and $1300 seams very right I'd consider one and build one of cool little cafe racer deals out of it. Of course if it could be done for a few hundred bucks that is.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5227_20100226091058_L.jpg

stang65pony
07-07-2010, 06:04 PM
im just lookin for something the old lady can lay down in the driveway lol. we just got screwed out of the ninja 250 we were going to go look at today because i decided that since it was raining it wouldnt be a good idea to test ride another individuals bike. screw me for thinking. now the wife is probably upset with me due to the fact that it was my call. she has been up my ass the past couple of days about wanting a bike and idk where she is getting this from. im glad she is excited and crap but i wish women would just slow the hell down and chill out. we dont even have the damn money together yet anyways. balls!

delta one
07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I have my woman learning on a 1979 Kawasaki ltd 400, parallel twin narrow seat low stand over cheep tires and we are not worried about dropping it at all and when she is done I am cutting it up and making it look like an old bobber. :D

ezblast
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Man - I always read a lot of bull on this site - lol

1) the Blast actually handles better than the Ninja, as soon as you switch out from the Dunlops - anything is better. Running the same tire - the Blast handles better, and the new Ninjas actually handle worse and have a lower top end - making them a bit risky on the freeway - they look pretty though - lol

2) Maintenance is a bit more involved - lol

3) Costs - If not dropped are similar

3) I would never get bellow an 03 Blast, and there are a world of Ninjas out for each Blast you can find.

4) Modifications and aftermarket potential actually goes to the Blast. Heck - you can even have a choice of fairings - lol

5) Its always funny to me how many folks find 2000 to 2002 Blasts for sale and rarely the later years - that should say volumes in itself.
EZ
EZ

stang65pony
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
well i'll keep my eyes open for more blasts. right now its just the 01'. the lady is leaning more towards the ninja cuz of the "looks pretty" factor and the fact that they are affordable aswell. whatever is safe for her and shuts her up lol. were just going to get rid of it eventually anyhow. i'd like to put her on an xb9 :)

RT Performance
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
we i may have jumped the gun on the blast mods for the gf.

Thanks for all the info EZ you defenitly the blast man.(rep point added)

She has only been riding 3 days i did the stock air box wild mod drilled the main jet and spaced the needle.
Dual outed the muffler and adjusted the idle jet.
It runs a **** ton better and i would put it up against a ninja 250 now.
She pulled off a stop sign and spun the rear tire tonight(said she doesn't like the jerk on the take off now) and hates the decal sound.
So i need to undo some of it tomorrow.
She is pissed i made her bike run better (groans):o

ezblast
07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Right now let just let her enjoy the ride. Down the road - she'll tell you what more from the bike she wants - handling, power, looks - as she gets used to its current abilities.
EZ

SOUTHSTAR
07-28-2010, 10:19 PM
What's the matter with pre 2003 blasts ?

RT Performance
07-29-2010, 12:49 AM
theres a few upgrades i would have if i didn't get such a great buy on the 07.
Rocker box gaskets and a belt recall ez knows more than me.

Speaking of i kinda dropped hers tonight.
Started it letting it warm up in the drive slight down hill and CRASH as i walked back in the garage.
front tinted part of the turn signal lens a couple light scratches on the tall windscreen i had just put on it,
Slight new bend to the clutch lever.
Picked it up tightened the mirror and we went for a 35 mile ride.
she asking to try my xb9 in the next few weeks [smirk]

ezblast
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Pre-03 Blasts where still getting the bugs out and the quality of the Build up. Bad gaskets are a given. For the 2000 - rear wheel pulley as well, but niggles such as a bad ignition, speedo sensor, Tank valve, etc. are/where common.
EZ