PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal and headlight

djswitzer
07-07-2010, 05:00 AM
I seem to have a very strange issue.
Battery on my wifes 02 blast was drained. Connected a battery charger set to boost mode and started the bike.
After this the front turn signals were reversed, push the switch right and the left turn signal comes on, push left and the right comes on. Also headlight goes off when you switch to high beam.
Did some internet searching and talked to HD dealer and came to the conclusion that it could be the flasher relay got messed up jump starting the bike and the headlight just burnt out.
Ordered new flasher unit and headlight. Replaced these last night, did not fix the problems.
Thought maybe there might be something in the switchs so I took that apart. All mechanical so nothing electronic to mess up there. However while I had it apart I discovered that the headlight rocker switch comes apart very easily (small springs and 1 tiny ball bearing easy to lose). Inside there are 3 copper contacts that the wires are connected to and a small copper plate with 3 bumps on it that sits in the rocker switch. On low beam the plate connects 2 of the contacts and high beam crosses all 3. Laid the plate across 2 of the contacts and the low beam worked, laid it across all 3 contacts and the high beam worked. Great or so I thought, put it back together, low beam worked, switched to high beam the light went out. Strange thing is that the high beam indicator comes on so I know it is making contact just can't figure out why it works with the switch apart but not when it is together.

DJ