PDA

View Full Version : Warranty requirement?

SchlongCR
07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Is the first 620 mile check required to be done by a dealer to keep the warranty valid? Mine is due very soon, spoke to a dealer about price, they want $170 for it. Holy Sh%#!! I could do it myself but-----

RT Performance
07-09-2010, 12:54 AM
They cannot require you to do them at the dealer.
But besure you write it and should keep your reciets in case you have a failure they try an claim was caused by lack of maintenance .
Be sure u pull the right pod and check your coolant level . I should have my 1125 how 2 vid up soon.

Rebel_CafeRacer
07-09-2010, 03:12 AM
I have a story for this one. I know a guy with a sporster that did the maintenance himself.

A while later, he found that a battery cable had fried, he took it in to the dealer, the bike is still under warranty mind you... and the dealer told him that since it was something they would have checked and noticed durring the service, they would not cover it under warranty.

He through a fit and talked to some managers,and eventually got it fixed under warranty.

So... its just a real life example.

agfish18
07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
I dont know... I got the pre-paid service for the bike when I bought mine, so I just take it at it's regular service intervals in addition to home service (oil/coolant changes)

Alfatango1
07-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Find an "authorized" service center. There are plenty of independents that will do it for around $100 or less probably. As long as they're HD certified for service you're fine. States protect you from getting gouged by dealers but they also protect manufacturers from botched home mechanic jobs. Say you were an ASE certified car mechanic and did the job, then something went wrong a few thousand later and you went to the dealer for it and they claimed you didn't have the service done at the dealer so you were screwed. A lot of courts have ruled that a car mechanic can do a home job on a bike and have it covered as dealer service. But say your an accountant who dabbles in break jobs, you'll most likely lose for sure. That's an extreme case to say the least and the above battery cable scenario could most likely be solved like it was above, by talking to management. But say it was an engine or tranny, you'd probably have to fight in court.

IRULE
07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I hate to be the other guy - I work in the service department - the dealer spent thousands on equipments (tools and factory scan tools) and spent other thousands on training (factory training on your car or bike) - which aftermarket shops don't have. The independent does not always charge less, they tell you their hourly rate (which is cheaper than dealer - almost every time) but then jack you with how much time they need to fix a concern. When **** hits the fan, they don't have the means/money to fix your car - then you are just going to be out of luck. Dealer will do their best not to loose you as a customer - independent shop will rather loose you and your friends and family then to pay thousands to fix your car they're the one who broke it in the first place. Don't be a hater for dealership.[up]

anrkizm95
07-09-2010, 07:04 PM
ive been an ase master tech for 15 years and some of the worst techs ive worked with have come out of dealerships.any ase certified reputable independent shop is as good or better than a dealer.independents dont just work on one make.the last 3 shops ive worked at had all the factory diag scanners as well as a couple aftermarket ones.

anrkizm95
07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
if your not at ease with a wrench in your hand take it to a shop or have someone who is help you the first time.ive seen simple oil changes go really really bad.

RT Performance
07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
good info guy's.
I worked in car dealers most of my life and am a Ase master auto mechanic.
There plus and minus to everything.
I hate letting others touch my stuff.But on the flip side it is illegal at least in Michigan to force (monopolize ) you to service your bike or car to keep your warranty.
Had an over zellas service manger learn that in court.
"If you don't do your 30k service with us we will void your warranty".Cost the dealership a few$$$

I will give dealers credit they normally specialize and know what is wrong with your car when they look at the paper work. The bad a min wage kids changes oil in most of those.

I know have an Independence shop 10 years on my own.
I refuse to hire anyone to help Because if my name goes on it it is fixed correctly. But i am small in a small town my reputation is my lively hood.
Sometimes it takes a week before i can fix your car but you will wait or take your chances with someonelse.

anrkizm95
07-10-2010, 08:10 AM
finding a ase master tech is the trick.anyone can pass the brake or a/c test.getting all 8 plus the advanced is what separates.the shadetrees woking in shops from a true tech.its to bad that only about 10-20 percent of people in this field should be doing it for a living.

IRULE
07-10-2010, 09:12 AM
That is exactly my point! Do you want to take a risk on that 80-90% of 'so-called' ASE master techs? Another point to make is that the dealers have the means and money and time to train young kids to work on cars and bikes, they are the future and someone has to give them a chance - not independent shops because they can't afford the risk of those kids f@$kin up the repairs. I am NOT saying independent shops sucks, what I am saying is that Dealers are willing to do a lot more, less risk factors and that is why you are paying a little bit more.
;)

SchlongCR
07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I just think $170 is a little steep for what is essentially an oil and filter change, looking the bike over for anything loose and a test ride.

anrkizm95
07-10-2010, 10:03 AM
i and the people i work with go to an average of 16 hours a month in training.you can fool the public but not the pros in this trade.any good tech is not going to work for a dealer for warranty time when they can work for an independant at 100 percent labor time.ive worked at a dealer and private shops know the ins and outs of both.

IRULE
07-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Anrkizm95, as you know, we can go all day and night with this discussion. So let's drop it!

anrkizm95
07-10-2010, 03:53 PM
yea i agree.we could proably go at it all year long.take care and have a good weekend.:)

popeye13433
07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
RT performance let me know about you how to video. i am gettting clost to my 620 mile inspection and the dealers around north chicago want any where from 190 to $245 im a aircraft mechanic so i can turn a wrench and have a dagree in autobody repair. dont have my maintenance manual yet so the video would be helpful. the cr is alot different from my X1