PDA

View Full Version : new buell owner

mrdozer2you
02-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey guys these forums are great. So much info to fit in my tiny little (former jap bike owner) head. I recently purchased a 2006 lightning 12Ss. A few questions about it. First off I purchased it from a dealership with 670 miles on it. Its in immaculate shape and I paid $7,000. ( Tax and all!!!) I'm assuming that I got a great deal. It seems to run fine idles correctly but I havent gotten it on the road yet and was unable to before purchasing it. I'm in Michigan and theres snow everywhere so....
Guess I'll have to wait till spring. Is there anything I should do/check before storing in my garage? Am I going to have problems riding it?, my last bike was a 98 honda cbr f3 600cc. Will I be ok on a 1200?

BuellPartsGuy
02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
You cant compare CC's on Buells to jap bikes. Its a completely different power. Torque is the name of the game when it comes to Buells. You don't have to spin the engine so much to get to the power.

As far as the storage thing. I would put so Sta-bil in your gas and put a Battery Tender on it so you dont have to buy a new battery come spring when you go to pull it out of the garage.

And yeah, you got a pretty good deal! Welcome to the family [up]

mrdozer2you
02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Awesome thanks..didnt really get the color I wanted but hey for that price I cant complain. More money for x-tras now [cool]

BuellPartsGuy
02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Not hard to do a color change. Not too pricey either. What color do you what.

Swordsman
02-06-2007, 07:27 PM
You got the right bike, man! I LOVE my Ss. [up]:D

For future reference, the one small problem I had with my bike (that you wouldn't have noticed since you haven't really been out on it) was a "hiccup" while holding the throttle steady at cruising speed. I'd be clipping away, the the engine would skip a beat. Annoying as hell.

HOWEVER, I discovered that my problem lay in the crank case breather hoses. From the factory, Buell has these routed into your airbox so that any combustible fumes that escape into the crank case during combustion get recycled... basically it's cheap emissions control. However, you also get some occasional oily residue blowing out as well. What was happening on my bike is that the residue was having an impact on my air/fuel ratio, causing the occasional splutter. Once I rerouted the hoses to vent behind the bike, every hiccup went away, and hasn't happened since! :D

Also, they claim the hose mod adds 1-2hp because that junk is no longer competing with air and fuel for space in your combustion chamber. I couldn't tell any difference, though.

~SM

Milehighturbo
04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
mrdozer, I recently bought basicly the same bike 05 xb12S, and was riding a a 1992 cbr600F2, the biggest difference i notice is around hwy speeds 75-85mph is the wind beats you up a little more,and of course the torque ,I rode my XB for 3 weeks then hopped on the F2 and WOW it felt soo slow and soo OLD my F2 only has 8400mi in it,I thought the F2 & F3 bikes were comfortable until the XB.YOU"LL BE HAPPY!!!

jsg
04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
LOL Milehighturbo you obviously didn't look at the date on mrdozer post, feb 2 2007, I think he found out a long time ago which is more fun

Milehighturbo
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
LMAO!!! I thought it was recent it was near the top

DOE!!!! Maybe he could have clued me in on the difference! LOL!!