PDA

View Full Version : buell xb12scg engine swap????

ronstopbl
07-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Need info on retrofitting a later model Thunderstorm engine into my 2005 Buell xb12scg. Will this swap work and what's the necessary mods if any? Motors look like the mounts will match, but the oil lines and some of the electrical components appear quite different. Custom oil lines required? Later model xb ecm required? I'd rather find another xb12 2005/2006 engine in good shape for a direct replacement if possible-anyone know of ay such engines available?
Thanks for any help that you can offer as I want to get back on the Buell!

Thorivola
07-20-2010, 12:04 AM
you can use a new engine and just put your old headers on it to take care of the ECM deal

all of the motor mounts match up across all years of XBs, the heads, jugs, and back end of the cases externally never changed

if you got a new model engine you would also need to get the oil lines for it, but the swing-arm is the same so you can just buy the oil lines themselves and put them on without doing anything custom

The fuel and ignition systems changes don't affect the motor itself really, you can run the old ECM and sensors on a new engine just fine. But there is only 1 O2 sensor on the old models so simply swapping headers fixes that problem. Everything else is a direct swap over.

any specific questions about the differences in the models besides the general one?

there are a lot of extra XB engines that show up on Ebay and Buellsterparts

ronstopbl
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info Thorivola.
My concern now would be dealing with the later Thunderstorm engine having the self adjusting ignition timing and that particular circuitry. Will my 2005 XB12s ecm and wiring work or do I have to ubgrade to the later ecm and wiring for the ignition timing control?

crxtasy169
07-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Isn't the only model with 2(o2) sensors the 2010?

ronstopbl
07-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Not sure if this is totally correct but I"ve scouted out several 2008/2009 engines for this planned swap and they both had dual O2 sensors on their exhaust. I know I can switch back to my original single O2 sensor exhaust and use my stock ecm. Just not sure about the later Thunderstorm self adjusting timing control and wiring hook-up?

Thorivola
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
it should be plug-and-play

the self-adjusting timing should be sending the same response to the ECM for firing off the plugs as the manually adjusted one

as long as the plugs mate, you're fine

I believe all post 07 have dual O2 sensors, in 2008 the bigger crank pin was released and with it the new ECM and oil lines in the cases

fireinxb
10-07-2010, 12:09 AM
I hate to bump an old thread like this.. but hey this one is only 3 months old.. and I have some burning questions.

In order to swap an 09 xb12 motor into my 04 xb12 would the wiring be plug n' play if I use my old header/o2? Seems from what I just read here i think this should work.

How about the oil lines?, would the 09 oil lines work with my earlier 04 swingarm? If not how would I get this to work?

ANYTHING else at all I would need?

Im just trying to clear this up, and find out EXACTLY what is needed to swap an 09 motor into my 04 before I buy a motor and get myself in too deep.

fireinxb
10-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Also, couldn't you just have the oil lines spliced together to make one component work with the other?

fireinxb
10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Has ANYONE actually done this? I'm getting conflicting information from a few forums and I really need to know if i should buy this 09 motor.

PLEASE help if you have ANY information guys thanks!

freak2180
10-09-2010, 02:03 PM
the 09 motor should drop right in......all you need is the 09 oil lines....the swingarm is the same through all years so the new lines will screw right in. other than the newer oil lines just use all your old sensors and bolt that bad boy up.

fireinxb
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info freak, I guess it was THIS (http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/595875.html?1285890808) badweb link I read that really scared me. This was the reason I was hopping someone has already done the swap successfully. Oh well, i guess worst case i might have to swap ecu/harness if it wont run right by just swaping my header/o2/other sensors over.

WILLIAMK
04-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Hate to bump this, but has this been done? I am looking to do this myself if it’s possible

Cooter
04-24-2019, 03:23 AM
Theres some bad info in this thread.

The later Thunderstorm engine is a direct replacement (physically) in any XB frame. Get the whole thing. Oil cooler (and lines), ECM (and harness), and you're GTG for a fairly easy swap.

The earlier harness is close and some of the sensors can be re-used (but should be on the new motor anyway) they swapped from a cam sensor to a crank sensor and the DDFI-3 ECM is far superior to the DDFI-2.

Check Buelltooth.com or send them an e-mail. I heard they had a DDFI-2 to DDFI-3 swap that may help you if you don't have the later harness.

WILLIAMK
04-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Sweet I appreciate it! Really the answer I was looking for!! Going to spend some time and build a thunderstorm and drop in my 05