PDA

View Full Version : Buell Promotes Naked Motorcycling

buellxb
10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Buell Promotes Naked Motorcycling Buell's Paul James Explains Hot, New Trend in Bikes

(September 20, 2004, Milwaukee, WI ) - Naked is one of the hottest trends in motorcycling today and Buell Motorcycle Company is encouraging it!

"No, we don't advocate riding a motorcycle while undressed," says Paul James, communications manager for Buell Motorcycle Company. "We call them naked bikes because -- unlike many of the high-performance motorcycles you see on the street -- our Buell models have very little bodywork."

"The idea behind naked bikes is simple: We think that the mechanical elements of the motorcycle, including the engine, exhaust, and frame, are part of its beauty and should be seen and appreciated, not covered with plastic," James says.

Naked bikes are on full display at all Buell dealers. "The Buell Lightning and Firebolt models, as well as the CityX -- which is the most naked of them all with its see-through parts -- combine the sound and performance of a big V-Twin engine with some real leading-edge technology and design ideas," said James. "These are uniquely American performance motorcycles. It would be a shame to cover them up with plastic bodywork. Buell riders would rather be naked."

The naked-bike phenomenon was recently featured in an article in USA Today. The story cited industry reports that sales of naked bikes jumped 111 percent between 1998 and 2002, outpacing the sales of sport motorcycles that are replicas of racing machines. The same article called Buell a leader on the naked-bike scene.

Source: Harley Davidson

paperclip
10-27-2006, 12:30 PM
The buell bikes are beautiful. I am not a big fan of the naked/street fighter look. However, Buell did his homework, and these things are a work of art. They do not look like they are missing the fairings, as many naked bikes do, but rather the bike outgrew the need for them.

kendo
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
One of my first bikes was a Norton Atlas with the featherbed frame. I only rode it a short time before I added clipons to the fork tubes and a cafe racer seat ordered from jolly old england. next came the Dunstall pipes and rearward mounted shifter and brake. I was riding a naked bike and didn't even know it. It stood out in a croud and I loved the way it sounded sat and handeled. my Buell reminds me of a great time in my life. Don't change a thing, there's a lot of us out there that want that look and feel.

buellfiend
06-28-2007, 03:35 AM
Amen...gorgeous bikes combined with innovative ideas.

lighting
12-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Come from many years of riding I4 sports bikes, could no resist the temptation of owning a Buell so I went to the dealer and met a non pushy salesman, hand over the keys and told just bring it back in one piece. Long story short, I walk out the proud owner of a 12S, once you ride one of this bikes there is no going back and cool factor is a bonus.

RegulatorMIA
12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
i loved my gpz1100 street fighter... replaced it with a 'busa (which i loved, don't get me wrong) but something about a street fighter/naked bike just... awesome lol

Nuage420b
07-12-2009, 09:44 PM
i'm digging up an old thread here but i've spent the last two years saving and dreaming about my first motorcycle. two years ago nothing could of swayed me away from buying an r6 black with the amber rims. . . it was actually a google image search of that bike when i first saw a buell lighting, black with amber rims. i liked it alot got interested started to research it a bt but still loved the r6 style, i mean honestly the r6 and r1 just look like sex at hyperspeed. but i kept checking back at the buells. and kept checking back. then i saw one at the parking lot on post and apparent spent too long admiring it cuz i was chased off by an irate rider who proptly jumped on a took off to park else where. but that was the day i knew i had to have the lightning. it was art, it was timeless art. a bike that hasn't changed it's design for almost a decade. whereas all the sport bikes look dated and ancient from model year to model year. i recently put in an order for my piece of art and as soon as i'm home from this tour and take that sucker around town i know i can pull into any meet, any intersection, and parking lot, and all eyes will be on my buell.