PDA

View Full Version : ( Thee ) exhaust mod by Captain Ron

captain13ron
02-14-2008, 02:07 AM
how to make a little noise without losing horsepower or $$$$. simply cut a 2 in square hole above the rear chamber of exhaust, about 4 in ctr of end. once open you can see the internal pipe that leads to the external tip. drill a 3/4 to 1 in hole in this pipe. this will allow a straight shot though system, the key is to not drill a to big of hole, just enough to add rumble but not to lose low end horsepower. of course add a 3 in square cover for 2 in square hole . weld or rivet, or screw, I like screwing!. I ended up with a very nice sound, not to loud. and i still have my low end grunt with no backfire or fouled plugs, exhaust mfg beware: it only took 2 hours and a few screws. note: i used screws because of future mods or to revert back to stock if laws change, a nice crisp sound that isn't annoying. i will try to send pic's soon. if you need more detailed info: Captain13Ron@gmail.com

dmp0001
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
pics?

captain13ron
02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
here is a pichttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080217113610_L.jpg

BuellPartsGuy
02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Why wouldn't you just disconnect your cable running the interactive exhaust valve and let it just move freely and tack the exhaust valve open? Of course this would only work on the 12's but a lot easier.

jeffgre_6163
02-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Why wouldn't you just disconnect your cable running the the interactive exhaust valve and let it just move freely and tack the exhaust valve open? Of course this would only work on the 12's but a lot easier.

I think that having the valve open all the time would not increase pipe volume.
I cant tell when my exhaust valve is open while riding so I doubt having it open all the time would make any more noise.
Rons mod allows for a shorter path for the gases and hence more noise without screwing around with the valve or cable set up

buellxb
02-18-2008, 03:53 AM
That sounds pretty interesting. It would be nice if some one could do this mod, video record it, and throw it on You Tube.

captain13ron
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Gee that's more work than the mod! lol, ok when i get my hand's on a video camera i'll get er done. i think i might bore the hole out a little more anyway, i want it just a little louder. to give you an idea of loudness, lets say stock pipe on a 1 to 10 scale is a 4, and a jardine is a 10 (loudest) the 1 inch hole will result in about a 6 or 7. just enough to enjoy the rumble but not be anoying. so far with no ill effects, Captain Ron

joedpr
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Interesting... [up]

keisersozae
02-29-2008, 09:41 PM
i would really be interested to see and hear this thing for real. i bought a stock pipe for my bike to send to drummer but my funds wont allow it right now and the stock pipes are getting cheaper if i did decide to get another one. whatever, i need to hear your pipe before and after, i could do this mod this weekend.

dmp0001
03-01-2008, 03:19 AM
I drilled at 3/4 inch, sound is a nice rumble but still on the quiet side. 100% improvement over stock for sure!

ekolasin
03-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Video would be nice!![smirk]

markwoodlief
05-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Im assuming this will work on a xb12x uly right? The exhaust seems to be the same, although i think captains bike is a xb12s right? I may try this mod this weekend, I too dont want to wake the dead but do want a bit more sound.. power is fine the way it is, i dont run it like a raped ape often and found it pulls just fine for my style of riding..

The questions I have are

1) What material did you use to replace the hole you cut out.. tinfoil? scrap metal? was thinking an auto supply store and exhaust patch kit for cars would work?

2) Any adverse effects of using screws on the top piece? Air leaking or screws coming loose?

3) Any mods needed to airbox or ecm? I'm supposing not, but want to get it all straight before I hacksaw the **** out of my pipe!, :)

Thanks!!!! and if this seriously works should be maybe a sticky.. If I in fact do mine this weekend I can shoot more video then youll ever want.. :)

[up][up]

markwoodlief
05-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Did this mod... not worth the time really.. absolutly no db gain at all.. when its Wide Open you can hear a little bit of a deeper grunt, but not much.. during tick over its the same old quite buell.. Kind of frustrated with the mod actually now ill need to order a new pipe to send to drummer since i hacked this one up.

I dont suggest this mod at all it does nothing but enlighten you to whats inside your muffler..

captain13ron
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM
hhhmmmmm this mod is competely reversable. in fact drummer will cut this section out when they modify the muffler. if you quote: HACKED THIS ONE UP. it sounds like you did just that. i will be pulling my pipe off today so i can open the internal hole up for louder db and taking pictures to show exactly what the mod should look like. it sounds like somthing is lost in translation? i can only speculate but i want to remind anyone thinking of prefoming this mod that it takes place in the rear chamber, if it was done in the center chamber there will be no difference in sound and you would in fact hacked it up! to markwoodief, i apoligize for not giving more detailed information about the mod. because it does work well if executed properly. i shoud have given more detailed information.

captain13ron
05-03-2008, 02:50 PM
here are the pics, if you want a video clip email me at: captain13ron@gmail.com
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080503072325_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080503072705_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080305175854_L.jpg

captain13ron
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
one more pic.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080503072705_L.jpg

BuellPartsGuy
05-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Seems like an awful lot of bull**** just to save the money from buying a pipe. They arent that expensive guys....

New bike - $11000

Pipe - Maybe $500 for most of you

Do the math......

Louder isn't better....

Fock347
05-03-2008, 06:49 PM
i love it loud thts why i cant hear that well anymore.

BuellPartsGuy
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I just fail to see the point of doing this mod. Yes its louder, but come on... Also, you have that plate held on with self tapping screws. You are riding a 400lb vibrator. Whats stopping them from backing out?

captain13ron
05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
let me explain the purpose of this mod. it was only ment to be temporary. until i could buy a micron$$$ i used the screws because it allowed me to remove the plate to enlarge the hole, and later i could revert this pipe back to stock if needed, at that point i would weld the hole shut and weld the plate on. of course this mod isn't loud like aftermaket. but it is a little louder than stock. P.S. do you know anything about titanium force exhaust? price? preformance etc....

FerrariTruck
05-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Well I paid $3500 bucks for my buell with a clean title... This $5 dollar exhaust mod sounds good to me. Hell if this all i need to do so it doesnt sound like a lawn mower I am doing it this weekend

markwoodlief
05-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Again I must repeat this does not work.. seriously.. I did this to my 2007 Ulysses last week, my work looks exactly as your pictures.. yes.. I reread each word, etc.. The sound was seriously not that much different.. Now.. what I can attest to and posted a video on youtube with, is that afer I tried this mod and was disatisfied, I went with home hacked up pipe mod #2, :) Cut the thing in three pieces removed all the junk and rewelded it.. I found a local iron shop in seattle and the owner was bored so we used his band saw for a clean cut and his welding eqipment to put it back together.. now the sounds is quite amazing, not too loud, but a great deep rumble.. really loving it.. So much so that I dont think I'm even going to order an aftermarket pipe for it.. I had a fellow uylsses rider that lives close by verify my sanity, he is absolutely thrilled with mine so much so that his is going on the chopping block soon.. :)

Im not trying to knock you at all captain, seriously.... I realize were are each going off our own experience.. My experience with my Uly was a slight lower rumble during idle, a little more noise during WOT, and no difference at all in normal rev ranges..

just my opion.. my piep really sounds great now... so much so that i think i actually prefer this sound to any of the after market exhaust that ive heard on buells..

mrdozer2you
05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
so much so that i think i actually prefer this sound to any of the after market exhaust that ive heard on buells..

So basically its a hollowed out can? The headers dump into more or less an expansion chamber? Did you use any packing? That may be asking for trouble in the long run...but im no expert. [confused]

markwoodlief
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
the header dumps down into the interactive exhaust system pipe which goes a few more inches then opens up the middle of the can, then I left the back of the pipe in as well about 3 inches on that one.. so I basically removed the walls on each side and all the center tubing, but left a few inches on each side and left my interactive valve hooked up completely as it was stock..

I dont see running into any isses at all.. I put the Hi Flow Air filter on, and adjusted the idling squares on ECMSpy and its amazingly a different bike.. really really smooth.. idles just under 1000 and the blinkers dont shake like they used to..

Hope that answers any questions..

shilohsk8
06-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey Mark, can you explain to me a little more about what you did? I really want to do this this weekend. Thanks:)

riding_tall
06-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm also interested. If Im reading this right and using the digram captain13ron posted you cut through a few inch's in on each side of chamber B and pulled the three pipes out and welded it all back up ? How did you know where to make the cut's ? also a link to your video on youtube would be much appreciated.

LeFox
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
yes i finally posted my low cost buell exhaust mod on u tube so you can judge for youself if it is louder than stock. but i still can't wait to get race, d&d, or micron exhaust. enjoy![smirk]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiwZBbSkXPo&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiwZBbSkXPo&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

edit: took the liberty of posting it in the topic with the correct codes ;)

captain13ron
07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
thank's LeFox! so alway's very helpful, unselfish, and empathetic to others on this site. i don't what your day job is, but i just bet your sucsessfull at it![up]

bmac_206
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Captain, I just finished this mod on my 2005 xb12r and must thank you. I am very satisfied with the sound of my bike. Not too Loud, Not too Quiet, Just Right!! I used a 1 5/8 hole saw to punch the hole. I then wrapped my header with copper wrap. Sounds Bad AZZ!! Thanks

WULFGODSXB
08-15-2008, 12:56 AM
has any one out there tried removing the hole piece of pipe in the last section of can instead of drilling it????? i'm thinking after looking at pipe diagram that it may work well and still allow for plenty of back pressure

bmac_206
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I dont believe it will if you remove the entire pipe. But thats just my opinion.

captain13ron
08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
how about this; cut the very end (last 4 or five inches) off,flush with the divider. plug the center hole, put a left and right tailpipes on the other holes! you would have to remap, but it would be a straitpipe on the left and the right side would work when the valve opened at higher RPM. VVVVRRROOOMMM:D

WULFGODSXB
08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
i'm thinking that is what the special opps pipe is because he removes 4" from pipe puts dual tips on it and retains valve.

shilohsk8
08-16-2008, 02:47 AM
how about this; cut the very end (last 4 or five inches) off,flush with the divider. plug the center hole, put a left and right tailpipes on the other holes! you would have to remap, but it would be a straitpipe on the left and the right side would work when the valve opened at higher RPM. VVVVRRROOOMMM

But what about back pressure when you have a straight pipe on the left?

captain13ron
08-16-2008, 05:52 AM
yeh, you would want some kind of resistance in there. but how much back pressure is in a jardine? or other pipes. but cutting up a pipe is easy, tuning your ECM is where the work is.:D

shilohsk8
08-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree the ECM tuning is the kicker. You definitely need some dyno time to properly tune your ECM and that's always expensive if you don't have a hook-up. I have been debating between aftermarket slip-on, full system or modded stock exhaust since I've had my Buell. I even bought a Dobeck to not have to mess with the ECM but don't know if I want to go that route anymore.[confused]

captain13ron
08-16-2008, 09:38 PM
so tell me, what did you like and dislike about the dobeck? i played with ECMspy today, reset my TPS, walked though it but my timing mark didn't line up with what the guide say's, so i need to get my timing checked before i go any further. even though it run's fairly well for not being tuned with the D&D.

shilohsk8
08-17-2008, 01:13 AM
I haven't even hooked up the Dobeck yet, I don't know if I should. I still have a stock ECM but I have the program and cable and I'm still debating if a re-map with my ultimate exhaust option will be the best thing. I just don't know if removing the exhaust servo is the best thing to retain the same amount of bottom end on these bikes. I want it track fast but at the same time I want it to perform the same at low rpm for daily driving.

WULFGODSXB
08-20-2008, 11:32 PM
i did it! i openened up the last section on the top a little wider than what captian ron did and cut a chunck of the tail pipe tube. made it a bit deeper but not as loud as i hoped. it did make a great improvement over stock it was worth the hour 1/2 that it took to do it plus $7.99 for can of header paint. over winter may try cutting it back to divider with 2 tail pipes ;)

captain13ron
08-21-2008, 12:09 AM
good for you! i finally got the $$$$ for the D&D pipe, yes it's loud! not as bad as what i heard it would be (pun intended)i've heard some harley's that were much louder! i have a DB meter and did some testing......captain ron pipe 1" hole, 60DB at idle, 3000RPM it was 72DB, D&D at idle 80DB at 3000RPM 98DB, the meter was 5 feet behind my bike when i did these measurements.

WULFGODSXB
08-21-2008, 01:17 AM
sounds sweet captain still confused on what pipe i want plus have a baby on the way so i have to stay on the cheap!! i like the way the d&d looks but may end up with jardine just because of price

captain13ron
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
use this oportunity to gain knowledge of what's out there. even though i kept hoping i would meet a fellow bueller with a aftermarket pipe so i could experiance first hand sound. you tube aftermarket exhaust clips and the "shootout test" was neat but i even played these clips though a large sound system (i'm a DJ) but seems like i'm the only one in northern Indianna with a buell! so once i finally got some $$$ and went for it, i guess the best reason's i went for the D&D was that dual look, you can use an ATV jack to raise your bike and service. the exhaust is built really tough, i was impressed with the quality of the weld's, no repacking.

WULFGODSXB
08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the added info captain. i know the feeling of all the bikers i know i only found one that owns a buell and its a m1 old school. the only reason he even has it is because someone owed him money he only rides shovelhead h-d his buell just sits

bronco306
09-08-2008, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZJMhcblWY

available for purchase soon. $200 plus shipping. core required.

professionally tig welded with stainless steel rod. shortened 1" painted flat black to match stock.

cant beat it!!!

FIDOSOL
09-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Post up some pics, sounds real good man. How loud is it in comparison to a Jardine? Are you making pipe for both 9 and 12?

bronco306
09-08-2008, 12:21 AM
9 and 12 lightning and firebolt. didn't take any pics. it still needs to be painted. just finished today. I haven't heard any good clips of the jardine exhaust. the ones i have seen always have too much distortion in the clip to get a good idea of how it sounds. i can tell you that it sounds good, really good. and you cant beat the price.

FIDOSOL
09-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Yea, I noticed, will the $200 include it being painted? You painting it black?

bronco306
09-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Painted with high temp flat black. Might do some other colors, don't know yet.

Were still messing around with a few other ideas. maybe dual outlets don't know?

Infamous1
09-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Performed this mod on my 07 XB9 bolt today internals on this pipe were slightly differnt than pictured but the end result is the same I punched a 1 3/8" hole in my internal pipe sounds louder but is a little raspy mabe or hollow sounding at speed but really a big improvment over stock until I save up some $$$ Thanks[up]:)

RudysSI
10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
couldn't you just cut the end tube out that flows into the tip and out of the side of the muffler? this would allow the exhaust to flow through all 3 pipes and not recirculate. Just an idea.

carat
10-25-2008, 04:39 PM
hi.want to do the same for my xb9 r.
is there something else led to my exhaust? or not? thanks[confused]

SeabeeBueller
10-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Hey there! I did pretty much the same thing as mark with my 05 12r. I used anangle grinder with a cut off wheel to open just the top instead of cutting it in 3rds. then I removed the inner 3 sections of pipe of the B chamber and tacked open the butterfly valve. I then welded the section back together, grinded(ground?) down the welds(I don't have a tig welder), and painted it flat black with high temp paint. I sounds ALOT better than stock, not too loud but definitely better.The only issue obviously is the lack of backpressure in mid-range. I dont know if remapping will help alleviate that issue or not. But it was alot of fun doing it while drinking some beer and watching football. It also only cost me $7 for the paint and $9 for the beer.:D

carat
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
hi.har pictures that show what you had done? think to do the same and it would be good to see it first.:)

RudysSI
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm going to try removing that rear pipe rather than cutting a whole in it, it allows the valve to opperate correctly, and gets ride of any recirculation in the muffler while still keeping plenty of back pressure.

neelyalmost
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
:)Thanks captain. i have just completed the mod as per your instructions and it sounds fantastic.i had just gutted my old exhaust from my 2004 xb12r fireb olt and was hoping to fit it straight on to my 2008 xb12ss but the internal bore of the new header pipes is 60mm instead of the old 50mm.so thanks for your tip it has been greatly received.....not by the neighbours tho....lol...many thanks neil

AdventureUly
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Has any one tried cutting the whole pipe out yet? instead of just drilling a hole in it?

bikelit
10-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I cut mine out but added packing to the back to help with any "empty can" noise. Worked great. I put pics in the Uly section months ago......

AdventureUly
10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh, yes. I have seen that thread now. Good job.

I will do mine at the week end. Thanks[up]

Vedmed
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I made exhaust as in the photo. Sound not add much. But the vibrations became more.

buelltastic
11-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I simply disconnected the cable at the air box,pulled the cable tight as to open the muffler valve and clamped it!Sound is thumpy!no check light,but more vibration down low when accelerating.Performance has changed slightly in mid to top for the better,after doing this though i did a tps reset and closed loop mode ride!I dont know what this will do long term,but its only temporary for now!I was sick of it sounding like a chaff cutter/ride on lawnmower,and this inexpensive simple mod has me:)for now!

AdventureUly
04-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I ended up doing captin rons mod but welded the plate back one and drilled 4, 1 inch holes in the pipe.

It sounds great.

Good work captin! :D

PhastXB
04-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Easier way to do this mod. No removal, no welding, took me 15 mins.

stock muffler still on bike
http://i39.tinypic.com/2hi798m.jpg

The TOOL
http://i44.tinypic.com/2lcocpl.jpg

Getting er done!
http://i40.tinypic.com/1zyf21d.jpg

Almost there!
http://i43.tinypic.com/11ihhli.jpg

Did go all the way through, just enough to break this off with long nose plyers.
http://i44.tinypic.com/feqnwl.jpg

Lets go for a ride!
http://i40.tinypic.com/t6aujb.jpg

Not much louder idling, but you can hear the difference when you increase the rpms.

AdventureUly
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I had that idea, but on my 07 Uly the exit pipe curls round instead of coming out straight,

Couldn't bend it.

Still I learned how to weld.....

7Mary3
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Do you think the raspy "hollow" sound will be reduced to a more mellow thump if packing is stuffed inside the new hole? I did a variation of this mod and the only thing I don't like is the hollow sound at startup. The sound gets a little better once the bike is at normal operating temperature though.

Gotta keep saving for that new Hawk...

oisterska
06-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Really intrigued by that last set of pics. Ever since I saw the thread where the guy smashed the crap out of the inside pipe with a rock bar, I have been on the verge of doing something similar, and drilling was also suggested, I believe.

Only question for PhastXB (and others) would be: what is the danger/worry of rust around that hole? I live in Portland, OR, and ride my xb12xt to work rain or shine nearly every day (ahem-that it's not in the shop-ahem).

Is rust a worry, and is there an option for painting those exposed edges? Dreaming of a Hawk, but not in the near future. I want something in the meantime...

RudiRulez
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
CuklWOAVTgw

xtreme
04-02-2011, 12:13 PM
So I did something similar to this. I had to cut my exit pipe down a bit to get to the inside. I took a large crows foot (crow bar) and used the other in. I made 3 about 1/4 inch holes. It sounds a little bit better. When I first started her up. She wanted to back fire a bit. Took her for a quick 5 minute ride before the rain storm. Backfiring went away as soon as I started riding. Gonna let her cool down again and see if she backfires when I start her from being cold. Any else have the backfire issue off of first start up?

skidude
02-16-2012, 04:03 PM
If you look at the diagram of the exhaust the hole on the front side of inside tube makes more sense. I did this and the sound is alot better.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12334_20120210114106_L.jpg

Junkbone
02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
I agree, if you have the short exhaust outlet this makes for a much more direct rout for the flow.= better sound, I keep coming back to this thread! I'm happy with the performance of my bike, just wish I had a little more sound.I've been looking at Hawk for a while but even as affordable as his pipes are, I just need that little bit of sound to be happy. If I could do this mod and not throw off my back pressure too much I'd try it. Skidude, Phastxb, did you guys lose any power/torque from doing this? As it is, I'm a big guy and can pull up in first but second gear I can just seem to make the front get light. I def. dont need to lose any power.

Reg93780
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
I cut the tail end of my muffler off and removed the entire pipe that you guys are drilling holes in. Now the bike is much louder. I wish the tone was a bit lower pitch but no one else notices.

skidude
02-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks to some warmer weather i finally got some ridng in and i have to say the bike feels the same as it did before. If i lost any back pressure it is not noticeable whatsoever. The sound to me is not hollow and my wife and everyone that has heard it says it sounds like a Harley. You can start out small with the ole and keep making it bigger untill the pitch and tone are where you want . I have done several DIY mods but ths one is by far the best thing you can do do a XB.

SnyderJ21
03-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Had an extra stock muffler so why not try and get a little sound out of one. I didn't have a hole saw that would reach to the back so I used a regular 5/8" drill bit and drilled two separate holes. It back pops a little now but I think the performance hasn't really been changed much.

Made a video comparing before and after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTIFOPkYhg&feature=youtu.be

pidgeo
10-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Hi dudes,
I just did a very similar mod to Skidude's one on my 2003 xb9s. Now have a flat spot around 3 - 4k.
What would be my best / simplest approach to rectifying this?

Thanks a mill,
Mick.

Opie
03-29-2016, 04:05 AM
3617. Just did this tonight on a stock exhaust. Had all the tools... Sounds much better, like a real V twin should. Free sound before I decide to spend money on a new louder exhaust, good suggestions!

Tripleted
06-06-2016, 04:46 AM
I know this thread has been beat to death but I have read it all and I am a guy that has a few loud bikes and likes the mellow tone of my Uly but wants just a bit more growl at idle to drown out the mechanical noise. I know the captain took some heat from board members about the benifits of this low cost mod but does anyone that did the modification still like it of have you bought an aftermarket pipe? Still thinking of doing the mod because of the jacking point, engine protection, exhaust valve, and cost and then getting a local Buell wizard to tune it with the stock modified pipe.