PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my nearly new 1125r and have some questions/concerns

stuuk
07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi All

I just picked up my nearly new late 2009 1125r with 600 miles on the clock (well its 900 now ive got it home)

The bike is absolutely mint not a mark on it.

It needs its first service which i'll be organising immediately.

Its the unusual white with hero blue wheels and screen.

Anyway riding it home has raised a few questions.

1. Steering feels peculiar compared to my other bikes but managing to get used to it. It seems very flickable but on initial turn in the inside bar seems to be pushing back quite a lot both right and left. I found that relaxing my grip a bit and just letting the bike fall into the corners helped but it still feels a little weird, is this normal?

2. Engine seems very noisy and rattly specially at low revs also hearing what sounds like cluncking coming from the gearbox when rolling on and off the throttle at low speed almost as though there is too much backlash somewhere and you can hear it taking it up. Is this normal?

3. The backlight on the lcd display seems to flicker ever so slightly at low rpm or at idle.

4.The idle speed seems a little high to me at appx 1500rpm.

Aside from the above I thoroughly enjoyed the ride home. I kept it below 7000rpm but even here there seems to be plenty of power and the roll on in top gear from lowish speeds is very satisfying.

Thanks

Stu

upthemaiden
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I have an XB, so I can't comment on a lot of the things you listed, but the one thing that would be similar is noise. I was amazed at the noises I heard as well but that's because the only thing between you and the motor is the plastic airbox cover. Normally all the noises coming through the airbox would be muffled by a metal gas tank and some gas, but that's not the case with your bike and there's very little between you and the engine noises. You'll get used to it.

strmvt
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Far as steering goes I`ve never ridden a 25r but I would assume it`s pretty similar to the XB`s these bikes are very flickable and are built to be that way and my inside bar pushes back quite a bit as well takes some getting used to but once you do you`ll flick it all over the place and be amazed at what you can do with her

popeye13433
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
the engine noise clunking is normal from what i understand i asked the same questions when i got my CR. i have been told that its due to the water cooled v twin engine. i have not noticed my back light flickering at low idle so that might be an issue maybe a R rider can put more to that. as far as idle mine will idle high when cold then slow down is that what your experiencing?

RT Performance
07-27-2010, 07:53 PM
It's all normal. Should check and se if it has had the recall on the charging system done.

Red93stang
07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
+1 rt! I have a R and it's all normal.

Mike Van V
07-28-2010, 07:19 AM
1. Steering feels peculiar compared to my other bikes but managing to get used to it. It seems very flickable but on initial turn in the inside bar seems to be pushing back quite a lot both right and left. I found that relaxing my grip a bit and just letting the bike fall into the corners helped but it still feels a little weird, is this normal?

****Yes. All of the Buell chassis of this design are a little strange to steer compared to Japanese bikes.
Tires make a BIG difference. Give the Michelin, Pilot Power series tire a try when it's time.

2. Engine seems very noisy and rattly specially at low revs also hearing what sounds like cluncking coming from the gearbox when rolling on and off the throttle at low speed almost as though there is too much backlash somewhere and you can hear it taking it up. Is this normal?

****This depends. Mine is pretty quiet actually. Not much backlash anywhere. You might look into "cush drive" pads. They are in the countershaft pulley rather than the rear wheel.
If the engine isn't tuned properly, it can pound those little pads pretty hard.

3. The backlight on the lcd display seems to flicker ever so slightly at low rpm or at idle.

****Mines done this since new. Never worried about it. Some whine and have the dealer fix it. Too much of a pain for a tiny thing. As far as I'm concerned anyway..!
Shouldn't be spending that much time looking at the dashboard...

4.The idle speed seems a little high to me at appx 1500rpm.

****A malidy we all suffer thru...

Have fun with it.

Mike

boreas
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes to all, normal, mine does all of those things also :D